Is Potency and potentially Tenacity a problematic stat for SW:GOH?

hhooo
656 posts Member
edited May 2016
I've been thinking on how to address some characters who are considered woefully underpowered and/or are severely under-utilized in the game. I believe that the most common issue is "his/her/their potency sucks (at least until gear 11)." There are many characters like this: Asajj, Boba Fett, Clone Sergeant, Coruscant Underworld Police, Darth Sidious, Grand Moff Tarkin, Lobot, Magmatrooper, Plo Koon, Poe, Resistance Trooper, Tusken Shaman, and more. Many of these characters, if they could reliably implement the effects described in their abilities, would be pushing their way into the mainstream (while others are just garbage and need more help).

And even more stangely, there is a list of characters that have very good potency, but have no abilities that use it. It's just bizarre.

Given this information, and how more potency would help a wide range of characters move towards viability (or at least not make someone feel like they've wasted a month), I would say the easiest solution would simply be to remove Potency from SW:GOH. Give all abilities the same base chance to apply or be resisted. I would personally be fine with Tenacity remaining as a defensive stat, but that could easily go as well, leaving the only alterations as leader abilities and in game buffs from sources such as Luke, Kit Fisto, and Yoda. Characters should be compensated for the loss of stats on their gear, which would lead to a likely net buff of many characters, which would further help make new characters viable in Arena/GW/Raids, or some aspect of the game. This is ignoring the issue of piles of special damage and special crit on characters who have absolutely no use for it, which should be looked at as well, but this would be a great first step towards roster and team diversification, if that is indeed something that EA wants for the game.

Let me know what you think!

Is Potency and potentially Tenacity a problematic stat for SW:GOH? 65 votes

Yes, Potency/Tenacity are both problematic and unnecessarily make certain characters much worse than they could be.
43% 28 votes
Yes, Potency alone is problematic and unnecessarily makes certain characters much worse than they could be.
15% 10 votes
No, Potency/Tenacity are fine and simply giving underused/underpowered characters more of it will be enough.
40% 26 votes
No, I don't care about characters who are underused/underpowered on the basis of Potency.
1% 1 vote

Replies

• hhooo
    656 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No attention for a poll that isn't talking about the world ending or nerfing fives into oblivion it seems?

I'm being a bit facetious, but has no one else really ever thought about this?
  • Options
    I'm not as concerned about tenacity, but I know several toons that need HUGE potency buffs to become viable. The Magmatrooper is at the very top of the list. He hardly ever successfully uses his special, and because his basic attack is so weak, he becomes good for nothing. Tarkin could also use a significant boost to potency.

Those are the toons I really want to see buffed.
  • Options
    I honestly really hate the Tenecity system. Many things only have a chance to apply, so now... It's a chance at a chance? Really?
    There's another game I play where there is no resists unless you equip certain things, and it can only resist certain debuffs at 20% it is still ridiculous.

This, however, comes to one issue: AI proc rates. AI routinely lands debuffs and resists far more often than players. Fix this, and then it may be fine.
  • lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    Options
    yes it makes RNG king. basically wasting credits/mats on upgrading abilities that just don't work in the end, Sid is a perfect example

the numbers listed in stats don't matter because EA use a different set of numbers when AI is in control.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    Bump.
    {RotE}
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    Add Mace to the crowd. Shatterpoint has a 45% chance to activate on a random hero, and Mace @G8 has only 47% potency. There's so many chances for that to fail that it's a cool-but-wasted ability - activate fails, random hero is not attackable (due to taunt or stealth), defender resists, defender dodges.
    Heroes that rely on inflicting negative or removing positive effects as the cornerstone of their package should have better Potency at G7+. Especially for non-AoE effects.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • JbizzyG
    304 posts Member
    Options
    It's the chance to apply that's the problem, not potency and tenacity.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I like the concept that different players have different abilities to apply and resist debuffs. Thats a good game mechanic.

I think the game doesn't take advantage of it. Characters with low potencies debuffs should be worth the fact that they don't apply often.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Potency and tenacity are good gates and balancez where used properly. I dont think they are a problem, in general. You need some way to make toons more powerful through gear and stats.

Some toons are head scratchers, though.

I think in the cases where toons have inexplicably low potency, it is perhaps because the devs found squads that were overpowered. So while the toon might look broken, there may be a good reason.
  • Options
    I'd like to see them just be removed. if an ability has a 100% chance of inflicting an effect, it should happen every time. Also, buffs are currently used far more than debuff-based squads because debuffs are unreliable, and removing resisting would help make characters such as Tarkin much more viable. If Old Ben's Mind Trick has to have its percent lowered, then so be it.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Ben needs Mind Trick to stick. It only makes a big difference on the first turn, and he can be stunned/blocked before that turn. Yeah, that's RNG, but that's the breaks. And I don't have Ben. I would just hate to see that nerfed, because Ben is viable for F2P. There aren't many ways for F2P to compete with the top P2P teams, and those options don't need any nerfing.

Tarkin is a disappointment, and I have him. But again, I'm reserving judgment. The guys with full empire teams find him useful as is. After I have a chance to add some more toons, I will see for myself.
  • Ugluk
    274 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Tarkin's kit is all about TM manipulation and Offense Down, but his potency is so woeful (even at Gear10) he cannot do his job. His health is low, and he personally is slow. Between these 3 negatives, he's one of the worst toons going around right now.

To fix him, he needs either:
    - a big damage boost befitting of his glass cannon health, slow speed and low potency;
    - a ton more health AND a speed boost; or
    - a potency bump of 40-50%.

Guildies and I have been laughing at the amount of characters that need a Mk7 Nubian Scanner (+40% potency) at Gear9 and 10, that don't actually have any abilities that use potency - whilst toons like Tarkin max out at 39% Potency, barely able to land one debuff on his specials.

Poe is another example who got crippled by the nerf a few months ago, and hasn't recovered. Since TM reduction was made resistable, neither his expose nor his TM reduction will hit more than 2 out of 5 toons on average, and it's often much worse. His Offense Down is usually resisted, also impacting his usefulness. You can argue about whether the initial nerf was justified or not, but now it's swung further in the other direction, and between his low-middling potency (maxed at 60%) and the % chance to apply both his Offense Down & Expose, he is barely more useful than Chewie. His Tenacity, even with the adjusted unique, isn't that great either.

That's just two examples listed above, there are many more. My two suggestions would be to:
    - assign potency gear to characters that actually need it, don't make players spend time and effort (or in some cases, actual cash) acquiring gear that does nothing for the character
    - consider that the % chance to act on some characters is a throwback to when the game was different, and adjust/remove it.
  • Options
    Love this post, I've sat down at least five times to write almost the same post, but figured it would fall on deaf ears.

My guild has had a couple short communications on chat about RNG toons (ones dependent on the potency/tenacity dice roll) in general. I have been avoiding them intentionally as no matter how powerful they are they are unreliable (Dooku lead, Old Ben, Daka, stunners not named RG, etc.). They can dominate or they can be worthless. (Even our not to be named best member agrees with the premise).

In my opinion, something needs to be done about it. There are too many toons that are dependent on this double dice roll and many, as you mentioned well in your OP, are not nearly as useful as they appear in their skill descriptions. Toons with what appears to be 100% ability proc almost never proc because of low potency and some with much less chance proc way more often because of high potency.

I chose to say both are a problem, but I like your suggestion

I would like to see potency as a stat go away. Then the proc chance is as stated in the skill description and either tenacity goes away or is re-worked to be a 10-20% chance to avoid or some thing like that.

I originally wanted to run an empire team that looks killer until you realize the actual chances of any of their skills actually 'working' is horrible.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    Good to see some discussion! I think that the best solution would be to allow tenacity as a stat to remain (some characters are just harder to debuff in general, they can have lower other stats to compensate, etc), but to remove potency altogther, and have everything work off of some base resist rate (5-7.5%) which would increase with tenacity. Potency/Tenacity up buffs from abilities would be fine. But the gear situation in the game needs a crazy rework, especially with the number of characters who have full pieces of gear that do literally nothing for them.

There's no reason a character with no special attack in their kit should have gear that moves them to 3000+ special damage rating, or that a character that uses Potency for nothing should have 92% Potency. It's just totally inexplicable, I would love to know what the devs were thinking when they came up with what characters need which gear. Removing potency and replacing it with relevant stats for characters would be an easy fix, but the insanity of the gear system as a whole is the underlying problem.