Jawa Engineer basic ability is bugged

Powda
525 posts Member
edited May 2016
Or just really poorly designed?!

I've actually started using my JE just for fun to see if he's worth the time and guild currency invested in him and his basic is not working as advertised.

"Miniaturized Detonator
Apply a detonator to target enemy that detonates after 1 turn, dealing damage"

If I apply it to a target on my turn, it neither detonates on the target's next turn OR JE's next turn. I think it may not even detonate on the target's 2nd turn... I was using a Phasma lead, but I had three detonator debuffs on the target at one time.

I'm assuming this is a bug. If not, it's incredibly poor design and here's why:
  1. You've made JE's basic FAR less useful than anyone else's basic as you have time to deal with it before it does anything.
  2. You are taking a character's BASIC attack (read: the thing they get to use every turn) and providing the additional chance (outside of Dodge) to have it do nothing at all, by having it be resisted.
  3. Against Yoda - and anyone else with 'the fist' - it is guaranteed to do nothing.
  4. It doesn't have anything else that it does other than damage. No other debuffs or buffs associated with it.

Here's a couple ways you can fix JE.
  • Make the detonator(s) explode on the target's next activation. This still provides the ability for the target to deal with the debuff before the damage goes off, but doesn't allow the target to have 1.5 turns of nothing happening, on TOP of the fact that the attack can just be resisted. You guys already have the code in the game to make this happen.
  • If you're going to make it take forever to go off, at least provide some sort of positive to outweigh the negative of no immediate damage. Keep the existing 2 activation detonation but make any additional detonators after the first go off at the same time and add something like 10% more damage per detonation. You guys already have shenanigans with Yoda stealing every buff in the universe with proper timing and execution, no reason to not award something for using stun / turn meter reduction for this.

Droid users everywhere thank you for providing us with a character to help droid speed which is one of the biggest downsides to using droids in a game where speed is one of the strongest factors in the game. What are the droids - and JE - supposed to do AFTER the first turn, though?
Post edited by Powda on

Replies

• Sucka
    59 posts Member
    Options
    This this this! I think it's poorly designed and really highlights how bad thermal detonators are in general. They could be awesome with a few tweaks - as you suggested, either making them chain and blow each other up (which fits with the whole "bomb" thing) or explode on impact with another attack would really help. Another gripe - needing 100 stun cuffs for g10 which do nothing but improve a useless attack is crazy,!
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @CG_JohnSalera , @CG_NotReallyAJedi I'd love to hear your thoughts. Here or in PM would be cool. :smile: