Older Gamers (say 35+) did you enjoy video games more before you discovered the internet forums?

I remember playing EQ, Total War, CS, DoD, Moh, or Cod back in the day. Game balance patches would be released and the games would change. Some things I liked. Some things I didn't. Either way, I basically shrugged, adapted and went back to playing.
I was blissfully unaware that any of these games had forums (heck, maybe they didn't!). Upon reflection, I feel that I was happier just playing the game as opposed to having access to all the information on outstanding bugs, data mined future features, complaints, cries for nerfs and feature changes, etc. I recognize this yet I still feel compelled to participate in forums. Does that make me a masochist?
Does anyone else feel the same way?

Replies

• dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    i hope i wont still be playing video games when i reach 35 LUL
  • Ello_Asty
    562 posts Member
    Options
    Depends on the game, I suppose. Some have good mods or updated rosters that made the game soooo much better. Still the case in say MLB: The Show. However, that game's forum has just as much crying as any other forum. For the most part, I might call someone out if they are being stupid or trolling but mostly I ignore the "nerf Dooku" ****.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Ello_Asty
    562 posts Member
    Options
    dvl009 wrote: »

You'll find you don't have as much time for them, but you will be. Source: http://brandongaille.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/45-Intense-Video-Gamer-Demographics.jpg
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Options

I plan to play them until I die, but I don't have the time to play them like I used to. Once I retire though... I can't wait to see what MMOs are like in 2040!
  • Options
    Ello_Asty wrote: »
    Depends on the game, I suppose. Some have good mods or updated rosters that made the game soooo much better. Still the case in say MLB: The Show. However, that game's forum has just as much crying as any other forum. For the most part, I might call someone out if they are being stupid or trolling but mostly I ignore the "nerf Dooku" ****.

The Show is a good example of a forum that only made me happy, I would go to the operation sports site to see which rosters I wanted and that was about it. Many of those rosters were labors of love. I need to get a PS4 so I can play it again. I only have the Xbone at the moment.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    one day ill be the best minesweeper player
  • Options
    I have to say that back in the day my focus was on the game and i didnt care much about the forums and mostly didnt even know if there were any in some occasions.
    Here i often find myself reading miscellannous shiet, mostly whining and sometimes giving advice or opinions. I also think sometimes why i even bother, but still find myself back here reading,commenting etc.. :/
  • Options
    I am 32 and very glad you don't yet consider me an "old gamer" lol
  • Options

*Yoda voice* Oh, you will be. You will be.
  • iboneKnaWibO
    19 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I find the forums can be useful. Actually talking about the game constructively is great. Whining and complaining on forums is not.

The Destiny forum was truly sickening. Same with Star wars the old republic. By comparison this forum is amazing.

To really answer ops question I would say I enjoyed games before forums much more.

Forums are not needed, most of the time. Unless there's a tech issue, then they are invaluable.

The sense of discovery by just being by yourself without the meta stuff and people telling you how to play, was special. You could truly explore a game, really enjoy it. Do whatever you want. As soon as you get on the forum, I feel that's lost.

It seems whenever I go to a forum now, it collectively tries to make me not like the game. So much of the negativity on forums creeps into your own view of games. A game you love can become the opposite if you're not careful.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options

*Yoda voice* Oh, you will be. You will be.

i'm not gonna give in to the dork side
  • Options
    I've been playing video games since I came across Asteroids in the arcades in the late 70s (when I was almost 10). Before Internet forums, we relied on word of mouth and magazines for tips & tricks. Admittedly it's easier nowadays with the Internet: instant strategy, information, tips, etc.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Not really. Folks datamining and optimizing and min-maxing is just another way to enjoy the game. It doesn't really appeal to me, but then I just don't read those threads.

I really like the community a forum provides, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say some fora have just the absolute worst people I've ever met on the internet.... The ones who are always talking about how the game (doesn't matter which game, they exist in all of them) is garbage and the devs don't even play it, let alone listen to players. The ones who think every class is overpowered except for their own. The ones who think they're the best player ever, so anyone who beats them is a cheater or got lucky. The people who are just antagonistic jerks that will troll everyone who disagrees with them on the forum or call them names because they're not good enough.

Can't stand that.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.