Please Explain Exactly What Determines GW Difficulty

MasterSeedy
5046 posts Member
edited May 2016
I have backed off the Arena for 2 reasons:

1, it's not fun.

and
2. the difficulty of GW is supposedly tied to the Arena.

The way I heard it explained before is that your strongest WINNING team in the Arena (as determined by PWR rating) is used to calculate your GW difficulty.

Until GW opponent selection gets fixed, I simply don't want to fight harder and harder versions of the same boring team. I enjoy collecting multiple toons, but that means that my top 5 squad doesn't improve as fast as others.

The GW is actually much worse than the Arena in terms of the monotony of being forced to face endless teams all the same, but the payoff in terms of credits and training bots is much higher for the same # of shards (to get 15 shards in GW, you have to finish node 12 by which time you've gotten a ton more cash and bots than you would get if you got a top 5 Arena rank).

So I thought I was choosing one over the other by letting my Arena rank fall hard: every day I enter a battle and then retreat. The whole point is to prevent GW from becoming stressful in addition to boring. Boring is bad enough, but stressful and boring? No, thank you.

But GW has gotten much harder in the past week anyway. If deliberately forfeiting in the Arena can't keep the GW difficulty the same, then what the heck is GW difficulty based off of anyway?

I'd like to know so I can make informed choices in playing the game. I'd really like you to fix opponent selection, but until then, I'd at least like honest information about how to play the game to maximize my fun and minimize my stress. Giving us that information so that we can make our own choices about what portions of the game to play is the bare minimum that EA/CG can do.

Replies

• Options
    BTW:

I have seen the statements that the calculation uses your highest PvP Squad PWR, among all WINNING squads.

However, if appears that there is a bug and that so long as your squad **survives** (if you use the retreat button) it counts as a WIN for calculating GW difficulty.

THIS IS WRONG. I don't win, I don't get credit for winning. I don't get the increased rank or reward of winning. So if I retreat, but my squad PWR is used as if I'd had a victory, then there is no way that I can simply put in a defensive Arena squad and focus on doing GW for shards, bots, and credits.

My best guess, however - since my GW difficulty is, in fact, increasing - is that the program does exactly this. I'm not allowed to keep the GW difficulty the same unless I'm constantly swapping out my current toons for lower-PWR toons as I'm slowly leveling & starring up my squads. This is just more useless record-keeping, not gameplay. Not having fun. Moreover, it means that other folk who do want to focus on the Arena can take my rank more easily.

I'm not focussing on the Arena, but I did battle my way up into the top 50 at one point, and I'd like to at least parachute down & collect some shards on the way. If I can never lower my GW difficulty, why can't I at least force people who want my Arena rank to fight my 2nd & 3rd stringers instead of my 4th & 5th?

Ugh.

The main fix still has to be how you schedule opponents in GW, but even without that fix, you have to allow people to make an informed choice about where to focus energy in the game. We'd like to know what the actual consequences of our choices are so we can determine a strategy that works for us, that creates the most fun for us.

So either publish the algorithm or at least make it simple to let the Arena lie fallow in order to focus on a stable GW difficulty tier. If I can't even initiate an Arena fight and then retreat, then you're forcing me to give up xp as well as Arena position. Not fair, not simple, not obvious, not an informed choice.

Do better.