Synergies over characters.

In response to the character rework requests on last update notes. The devs should really focus on synergy groups over individual characters. Some characters need work, sure, but there are some short comings for entire classes and almost every character within them. This is bigger than the requests to fix yoga, or fives, or FOTP.

1. All scoundrels, except maybe lando
2. Empire characters (veers, magma trooper, stormtrooper, snow trooper)
3. Night sisters
4. Tusken Raiders
5. FO
6. Resistance

These synergies are currently USELESS and outside of plasma, asajj, and Vader. NONE of the other characters you ever see in arena. They are broken and need work.

The only teams that "work" outside the meta characters are clones, ewoks, jedi, droids/geo and that's not only debatable, depending who you talk to, but also situational (pvp, GW, raid)

Replies

• Options
    I 2nd this. It would be so much more interesting if the game was more diverse rather than fighting all the same characters in Arena and then going to GW and fighting all the same characters over again..

The synergies are my favorite part of this game. Trying to look at abilities and plan ahead as to who your going to invest in. My main team is droid/geos, followed by rebels as a B squad. I have Ewoks in the works but they aren't nearly viable yet.. Would be nice to have more synergy options to choose from and overall just see in the game.

Thanks for posting
  • Options
    Agreed, would bring about more interesting teams. I have several Nighsisters unlocked, but after hearing how slow they are, I'm pretty unmotivated to work on farming them.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    Finally, some noise! Yeah! How bout adding a system that gives a bonus based on squad types and an attribute that is associated with them? For example

Scoundrels = speed/crit
    Empire= dmg/potency
    Ewoks= speed/tm manipulation
    Clones= tenacity/tm manipulation
    Resistance/rebels= tenacity/potency?
    Nightsister=hpsteal/dispel
    Tusken=assists like phasma lead

Make these bonuses apply when idk 2 like types in a group and effects increase as more like types in group...for instance...

nightsisters...when 2 types in party they get 5% healthsteal 3types = 10% 4= 15% 5=20% healthsteal and 50% for basics to dispel positive effects.

Lastly may be interesting to get a party with 2 types and another 2 types...make a few standalones to bridge multiple groups.
  • 9r33d0
    492 posts Member
    Options
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    Finally, some noise! Yeah! How bout adding a system that gives a bonus based on squad types and an attribute that is associated with them? For example

Scoundrels = speed/crit
    Empire= dmg/potency
    Ewoks= speed/tm manipulation
    Clones= tenacity/tm manipulation
    Resistance/rebels= tenacity/potency?
    Nightsister=hpsteal/dispel
    Tusken=assists like phasma lead

Make these bonuses apply when idk 2 like types in a group and effects increase as more like types in group...for instance...

nightsisters...when 2 types in party they get 5% healthsteal 3types = 10% 4= 15% 5=20% healthsteal and 50% for basics to dispel positive effects.

Lastly may be interesting to get a party with 2 types and another 2 types...make a few standalones to bridge multiple groups.

Interesting
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    WhiskeyPug wrote: »
    These synergies are currently USELESS and outside of plasma, asajj, and Vader. NONE of the other characters you ever see in arena. They are broken and need work.

You have overlooked quite a few charachters:

RG is from the empire just like Vader and very common in arenas. He can be coupled with Vader (L) and stormtrooper (yes) and 2 attackers.

Old Daka is a nightsister and fairly common in arenas, though not for her nightsister synergy.

Kylo Ren (First Order) works well with a Phasma lead. FOTP, though not the beast he was, is still viable. Though not very common, FO based teams can work.

Rey is from the resistance and all over the place, though rarely for synergy reasons. Same thing goes for Poe, while RP is in a similar situation as FOTP.

Also, another reason, why you don't see synergy teams like these is the availability. Other viable toons are available early in the game, so people stick with those in order to not spread ressources too thin, instead of investing in niche teams like these. Small changes in balance can render such a team weak, while other toons can still be usefull in a whole variety of combinations/teams.
  • thee_pdx
    302 posts Member
    Options
    assume its not canon or whatever but resistance and rebels should share synergy imo. would help a lot as theres not many of them and its not great anyway. i wrongly thought they were the same.
  • Options
    The problem is not that the synergy is weak, it's that many of these toons are too hard to farm.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Resistance useless huh? Really? You think about what you said now...
    Nightsisters work in offense or so i heard. Rebels have extremely good synergy. Clones work too with Phasma in them. There are synergies in game but not for all characters.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Forgot about droid synergy which is now stronger than ever with JE.
  • Options
    I'd like to see group synergies be more important. I doubt there will be a rework of synergies at this point. Reworking synergies would be to much of an overhaul and would effect current toons. Issues I see are "all type synergies" more viable than "group specific synergies" and there are standout characters.
    Bye Forums.
  • MD_Geist
    298 posts Member
    Options
    "all type synergies" more viable than "group specific synergies"

Yes and that is the problem why wer see only the top standalone characters and more or less the same Teams.

You should simply profit more with a thematic Group of Toons. It is also easier to Balance ;)
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

RG is from the empire just like Vader and very common in arenas. He can be coupled with Vader (L) and stormtrooper (yes) and 2 attackers.

Old Daka is a nightsister and fairly common in arenas, though not for her nightsister synergy.

Kylo Ren (First Order) works well with a Phasma lead. FOTP, though not the beast he was, is still viable. Though not very common, FO based teams can work.

Rey is from the resistance and all over the place, though rarely for synergy reasons. Same thing goes for Poe, while RP is in a similar situation as FOTP.

Also, another reason, why you don't see synergy teams like these is the availability. Other viable toons are available early in the game, so people stick with those in order to not spread ressources too thin, instead of investing in niche teams like these. Small changes in balance can render such a team weak, while other toons can still be usefull in a whole variety of combinations/teams.

Ya I forgot a few but you forgot 20 or so, or maybe you didn't forget and just know they are useless
  • godgiven45
    1093 posts Member
    Options
    Lol synergy isn't rey and rg with a couple toons from the same group. There should be an advantage to running a fo team or a rebel team without sticking rey and rg in there. Right now the game seems broken. 95% of the teams are rey and rg with whoever else. Seems pointless to have all these synergies that can't compete with rey/rg teams. What is the reward for putting a complete team togather? I will tell you.the reward is an easily beatable team ranked in the 100-200 range
  • Options
    godgiven45 wrote: »
    Lol synergy isn't rey and rg with a couple toons from the same group. There should be an advantage to running a fo team or a rebel team without sticking rey and rg in there. Right now the game seems broken. 95% of the teams are rey and rg with whoever else. Seems pointless to have all these synergies that can't compete with rey/rg teams. What is the reward for putting a complete team togather? I will tell you.the reward is an easily beatable team ranked in the 100-200 range
    This is exactly what I'm saying. The meta characters should still be in the top tier, because they are "best in slot" so to speak. But a team of all B characters should be upgraded to an A team if the synergy is there. Scoundrels for example is not much better than B- characters but a full scoundrel team should get bonus and become an A- or something right? This would create more diverse teams.

One recommendation a guy made above was to give bonuses which is interesting. Another easier way would buff leader abilities specific to synergies so instead of +25 speed to empire, make it +25 speed and 10% crit. Or something where the numbers add up to make it worth running an empire team regardless of the characters being subpar. Seems easier then buffing every character and would solve the problem
  • godgiven45
    1093 posts Member
    Options
    It must be easier for them to keep the game running when everyone is using the same characters.
  • Options
    I think it probably has to do with more testing and difficulty to achieve the synergies than buffing individual characters. An individual character buff require X amount of testing in the meta team. As a synergy buff you have to test all characters within the synergy to see if it aligns.

Not unlike the attempt with FO characters where they all were overhauled, but let's face it, this was really a nerf to FO to accommodate the advantage change. But ideally this type of overhaul should be what the focus is and should be where they try to fix broken characters.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Ya I forgot a few but you forgot 20 or so, or maybe you didn't forget and just know they are useless

I'm not the one, who made a wrong statement about useless charachters — YOU were. My list was to prove you wrong — and I did.

Move on, now.
  • Options

I'm not the one, who made a wrong statement about useless charachters — YOU were. My list was to prove you wrong — and I did.

Move on, now.

I don't think you achieved that goal, 95% correct is more than your 5%. The fact you think you can dismantle an entire idea by refuting a small part of it is a fallacy.

• int3ns1fy
    210 posts Member
    Options
    I agree that there should be a choice between running a group of random OP toons and a squad with full synergy. The two should at least be competitive with each other, but that's not the way it is right now with the exception of droid squads, which just have ridiculous synergy *and* ridiculous damage. Unfortunately, given the poor job CG has done at balancing this game so far, I don't think this will ever happen.

A good starting point at least would be to make ALL leader abilities faction- or race-specific. This would also immediately help reduce the terrible dodge problem plaguing this game right now, because if Dooku's only worked for Sith and Old Ben's only worked for Jedi, that would immediately kill off a lot of the dodge squads since neither Sith nor Jedi are particularly strong.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    This concept has been brought up again and again and again and many of us are of same mind. Thing is in these threads it seems some peeps try to WIN it by shooting this concept down. The idea has been mentioned so many times its not gonna die. Please stop saying the devs wont do this or that. This discussion is to brainstorm a model that WILL work. Lets focus on that.
    May the force be with you all.
  • pmaroff
    16 posts Member
    Options
    Greedo (scoundrel) is one of my personal favorites. Extremely high crit damage with bonus attack and evasion abilities. Doesn't really have to do with the topic, I just think you're missing a big one from scoundrels.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    int3ns1fy wrote: »
    ...A good starting point at least would be to make ALL leader abilities faction- or race-specific. This would also immediately help reduce the terrible dodge problem plaguing this game right now, because if Dooku's only worked for Sith and Old Ben's only worked for Jedi, that would immediately kill off a lot of the dodge squads since neither Sith nor Jedi are particularly strong.

I actually like this idea a lot. It would also be a huge FO boost, as people try to take advantage of Phasma's leadership. Though to be honest, her leader is another good example. Anyone could get a bonus attack, but if they are a FO character, they get added damage.

I would add that some characters need their leader to work with a couple of groups. Like Lando with Scoundrels and Rebels. Obi Wan should be a Rebel as much as a Jedi. At least the "Old Ben" version should. Clones should work with Jedi, which would make the Jedi a bit more interesting as well.