Don't fix dodge. Just add ways to counter it

shampoo
442 posts Member
Change up some leader abilities. For example. Anakin omega could be something like "allies gain 10 TM whenever an opponent dodges an attack." Or gains speed up, gain crit up any sort of beneficial buff, you get the idea. Given that sith provide a lot of dodge, dooku, Sid, maul, it would be fitting for Jedi to have a way to counter it. This could help Jedi see more play in this dodge meta and also shake up the meta with less people wanting to run dodge. Just a thought.

Replies

• Ashishin
    160 posts Member
    Options
    Poe and Lobot are the only ones with permanent Potency leader ability. But do not to a percentage equal to the Dodge leader abilities.

Neither are viable options even if thier leader abilities were buffed up. Your suggestion on increases to TM from a dodge would be interesting and I believe very viable.

-Ashishin
    Much butt hurt I sense in you, this is why you fail...
  • Options
    How about this fix:

You can't dodge while stunned.

There's nothing that breaks the bounds of logic by dodging while unable to attack. Someone hits your funny-bone on your sword-arm, and while you're shaking it loose you could still use your feet to dodge.

But in-game Stun is represented by a complete freezing of the character. I wouldn't propose it if not for

1. how Stun is represented as complete immobility
    2. how Evasion is currently over-represented in leadership-ability love.

But since it completely conflicts with the in-game idea & representation of Stun, and since a lot of people think it's OP relative to other leader abilities, why not give it that little nerf and at the same time make the game a little less What-the-Freud? in how it handles Stunned-Evasion.

Beyond that little tweak, however, I agree with you. Ways to counter Evasion are preferable to an Evasion nerf.
  • shampoo
    442 posts Member
    Options
    The whole stun dodge thing has been beaten to death and the devs have stated many times in the past they are going to fix that. I'de rather not have the only counter to dodge teams be a stun team. Adding characters or leader abilities that activate when their offensive actions are dodged would change the meta significantly more. There's already a million RG paired with dooku and OB so the dodge / stun meta wouldn't change.
  • Options
    @Shampoo:

I didn't say it would change the meta or that it would be a "fix" for the current situation. it's just a very annoying quirk in the current game. I did, in fact, endorse your more creative solution that gives more options than merely stunning. I'm really not sure whether you're intending to disagree with me since you seem to believe that characters shouldn't be allowed to Dodge while stunned (like me) and since I explicitly agreed there should be more creative counters to Evasion in an effort to increase diversity (like you said).

Are we in agreement or not?

• SinCrux
    83 posts Member
    Options
    How can we counter whale teams if they fix dodge ?
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    The TM gain from your suggested leader ability would have to be at least equal to the TM gained by the dodger, 30%. But it should likely be more, since the leader ability is much more narrow than an evasion lead. Another idea is to keep it at say 20%, but reset cooldowns when an attack is dodged as well.
  • MasterSeedy
    5076 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We're not asking them to "fix" dodge. We're very specifically NOT asking for that. What we're asking for (and, to be fair, it's what Shampoo was asking for, I just added my +1) were new options so that +%Evasion isn't clearly superior to every other leadership option.

I, personally, think the option stated by Shampoo is a bit weird. Although all game mechanics are artificial, I like to see some way for the game mechanic to be described as something real-life-plausible.

For instance, instead of gaining TM when someone dodges, how about:
    1. When an opponent successfully dodges a physical attack
    2. the attacker has a % chance to call an assist-after-the-fact
    3. the assist does +50% damage. [If it lands: the toon could still Dodge the Assist attack as well]

The chance to call an assist can't be too high - I'm thinking it should be like Phasma's leadership ability that calls for an assist. If we're using Anakin, it can be 10%-18% (like Phasma) and doubled for Jedi (instead of doubled for First Order).

it triggers only on successful use of Evasion against a physical attack (Evasion against Special damage is called "Deflection" and evasion against Physical damage is called "Dodge" - we're talking about the official use of Dodge that only applies to Physical damage). Therefore, it will call many fewer assists than Phasma.

But Phasma's assist power causes assists that do 30%-15% less damage - and thus the proposed counter-dodge power for Anakin would do the same damage as ~2 assists by Phasma led teams...but Phasma led teams will get 5-10 more assists most of the time.

it's hard to compare, because we're talking about an Omega capstone vs. an entire Leadership skill, so it should be less powerful (Omegas should be powerful, but not overwhelmingly so). It's also hard to compare because there are more good Jedi than good First Order toons. Still, it doesn't seem overpowered off the top of my head. Unless you're countering a +%Evasion leadership team, dodges are fairly rare, and you might not get any assists at all in the majority of Encounters (remember in LS/DS & Cantina, the "Stage" is made up of "Battles", but the "battles" each have 3 "encounters". Against teams without a +%Evasion leader, you're going to average something less than 1 assist per "Encounter" except in very long Encounters, but I'm sure you'll average 1 or a bit more per "Battle").

I don't know the stats for Dodging, but it might even have to have a higher % than Phasma, even given the fact that each Assist does damage = ~2 Phasma assists. Perhaps it could be something as high as 25% normally/50% for Jedi. EA/CG would have to crunch some numbers to figure it out. Another way to do it might be to have a Phasma-ish % for non-Jedi, with a much higher (not merely double) % for Jedi. 15%/45% or 20%/50% might be possibilities, depending on how the numbers crunch. The benefit of that is to both reward building teams with synergy AND to limit the effect on teams of unexpected or purely offensive composition. If any toon gets the benefit at 25%, it's easier to put in only your hardest-hitting toons regardless of faction and still see a reasonable number of assists-after-the-fact. If you have to use Jedi to get the good %, you may be more likely to have a Barriss on your team.

=======
    Now, WHY does this offend my sensibilities less than +TM?

Simple: You can dodge one attack only to put yourself in the line of fire for another. Sometimes when you're faced with one powerful enemy, you can focus a bit too much on that enemy and lose Situational Awareness of the broader battlefield. It can actually even be done when you're fighting a single enemy when you focus too much on one threat and not enough on another.

In boxing, ducking away from a high feint right when the attacker is throwing an uppercut with the other hand even has a special name, "Ducking into the punch". Ducking into the punch is an uncommonly effective way to get yourself knocked out because your momentum is throwing your head down onto the fist that is coming in to smash it. You end up with a much harder impact that way.

If it's common enough in real life to have special names (and there are probably names in other situations too, like Fighter Pilots probably have a name for turning into an approaching missile & other groups of other types of warriors or fighting-sport participants probably also have names like that, but I'm not familiar with them), then even with an artificial mechanic like "If Dodged, call an assist at x%, which does +50% damage", I can visualize what just happened - the toon dodged an attack from one fearsome attacker only to leave themselves wide open to another attacker, possibly even jumping right onto a lightsaber/whatever.

Now that's not just a counter to a high Evasion team: that's just downright cool. Trying to craft game mechanics that can be visualized by players and that can evoke specific emotions is a tough job, but I think EA/CG can do it, and Ducking Into The Punch is an ability that could probably do just that, while at the same time providing options for people bored with the +%Evasion meta.
  • shampoo
    442 posts Member
    Options
    @Shampoo:

I didn't say it would change the meta or that it would be a "fix" for the current situation. it's just a very annoying quirk in the current game. I did, in fact, endorse your more creative solution that gives more options than merely stunning. I'm really not sure whether you're intending to disagree with me since you seem to believe that characters shouldn't be allowed to Dodge while stunned (like me) and since I explicitly agreed there should be more creative counters to Evasion in an effort to increase diversity (like you said).

Are we in agreement or not?

Of course we are. No one likes the state of dodge as is lol
  • Options
    I think the empire should gain an anti-dodge ability, since they are usually going after those dodgy rebels. Jedi could use it too though
  • Options
    This thread is now in my favorites. Everything I've read here so far was super constructive on how to start dealing with this meta so far. I hope the Devs noticed and started moving the game into a better direction.
  • Options
    More characters with unavoidable attacks , stuns and AOEs.

Not being able to Dodge when you are stunned.

New debuffs, like blind, which lowers your chance to hit and dodge.

Blinding Powder / Dust Devil could be auto-hit, making it harder to dodge.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Love this thread. I have seen the "stunned toons shouldn't dodge" suggestion before. 100% agree.

@Darthenstein I have also suggested elsewhere that a few toons spread out across different classes have unavoidable damage on some of their attacks. It would justify some attack toons hitting softer than others who are nearly equal in other ways if the slightly lower DMG is guaranteed DMG.

Beyond that some specific abilities or even leader abilities are a great idea. Like a toon that gives a buff to all team mates for a turn or two that makes all their attacks unavoidable. You would have to give up a spot on your roster for this utility toon, you only buy yourself a round or two of being on basically equal footing dodge wise, and they could debuff you to negate it. In fact a mass debuffer like Ventress would then pair well with Dooku. They were master/apprentice after all.

Besides a leader ability that gives a little turn meter to the whole team if an enemy dodges, a single toon with a stronger version of that ability might be nice. Like a passive ability that if an enemy dodges their attack this one toon gets 100% turn meter, and offence up for one turn (maybe two).

There are any number of ways to give us tools to strategically plan for beating dodge leaders, that would require we sacrifice a bit of DMG or something by who we pick making us beatable with other teams. That would be better than such a huge chunk of arena being in the hands of the RNG gods. I really hope the devs listen to this original post, instead of just nerfing dodge.