Use Synergy Emphasis To Boost and Balance Toons

Summary:
I would love to see squad synergy used to balance and improve toons. Make all the characters very similar in effectiveness as a standalone toon, but give them a definitive and functional boost when in a synergy squad.

Example: Jedi Consular is average to poor as a standalone toon. When Consular is in an all Jedi squad his heal could give an extra 20%, or he could do an additional 30% damage. There would be a buff for having a full synergy squad.

The Long Version:
My brother and I were talking SWGOH strategy the other night, swapping ideas of things we would like to see in the game and talking long-term strategy. As we all know long-term strategy in this game is especially tricky. The thought we kept coming back to was the desire for squad synergy to be more important. This was in part inspired by my brother’s droid team and my Ewok team. Both of those groups have such strong synergy that they can routinely outperform teams levels above them. I am lvl 77 and complete GW every day with my all Level 67 Ewok team (5*-7* and gear 8). During the last 6 nodes I am toppling teams level 75-79 with gear 8-9. The Ewok synergy is so strong that this group of very average standalone toons come together to form the best GW team ever!!!!!!

I am more than aware that changes like this are likely impossible, but I think the idea is worth discussing.

Imagine if all the players were very neutral and similar as a standalone toon. DPS toons all do similar damage, something similar to the current Luke or Biggs. Stun toons all have similar stun chances and abilities (RG and CUP). Dodge leaders are all made to be like Lumi (full dodge for synergy and half for non-synergy), or make dodge leaders synergy specific, so on and so forth. No need to touch special abilities, unique abilities, just nudge everyone’s health, protection, damage, potency, and tenacity to be more like the other players in their class. This would yield a population of C+ to B+ toons. This would only gently nerf toons, if at all, but would be more about greatly improving the other toons. Bring everyone up to the same level, not pushing toons down.

To counter the general average performance of every toon the bonus for synergy squads could be exceptional. They could be on an individual toon basis, functioning as a second “unique.”

Greedo Example: If you have all scoundrel allies Greedo does 30% more damage, or receives 20% turn meter for every basic attack, or increase his chance to attack again to 60%.

The bonus could be hardwired into each attack or special. A footnote at the bottom of every ability description that gives a boost for high synergy squads.

Several toons do not have full synergy teams as an option. In this case the boost could be worded to correspond with the number of toons available.

Tusken Raider Example: If you have 3 Tusken Raider allies increase potency by 20%.

Also you could combine synergies, something like “Tatooine Outcasts” combining Jawas and Raiders.

You could also rework leader abilities to put a huge emphasis on synergy squads and hardly, if at all, help non-synergy allies.

This would reduce the amount of teams that are a random mix of very high powered toons assembled out of need. No individual toon would be too high powered, and you would be forced to farm exclusive synergy teams. I am F2P/low spender (bought the DS starter and the Ewok packs, fully support the WWF) and understand that it is difficult to farm players, but having a full synergy squad that kicks butt would be awesome!!!!

From a business stand point it would cause people to spend more to acquire complete squads. As opposed to players spending to acquire one very powerful specific toon they would have to farm the whole lot to be competitive. If they really liked Wedge’s skill set they would have to farm a complete rebel team to make him useful/ competitive. I think current player spending habits could supports ideas like this.

A net gain from this would be increased diversity. The top of arena boards would be full of complete synergy squads, or near complete synergy squads. Each synergy has a natural counter synergy. This could lead to teams working towards a handful of synergy squads to make sure they have flexibility when climbing the leader boards. Something like, “Oooh #17 runs an all Jedi squad, better throw my all Sith squad at them.”

If you read this entire write up muchas gracias as its length is cumbersome and its utility is low.

Please let me know what you think, flaws you see, ways to improve the idea or a general opinion would be more than welcome.

Cheers!

Replies