Is farming Chromium characters from shipments worth it?

Recently chromium characters have been added to basic shipments, and as a F2p player, I do not know whether or not I should purchase their shards. I really want Sun Fac and am considering farming him from shipments. I just do not know whether it is worth it to invest 320 daily to get 4 shards or would it be better to just save up and purchase chromium packs.

Replies

• ChazSunray
    223 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am buying a chromium exclusive toon from shipments every time they pop up, and I do the 2 50-crystal refreshes per day to help hurry the process. I am not f2p, but it would seem unwise if you are one, to blow all of those crystals on one toon, or even to buy chromiums that will only give you a mish-mash of shards for 70+ toons. My point being is that chromium is there for payers to take advantage of, not f2p, unless you are VERY patient.
  • HardCase
    25 posts Member
    Options
    I started doing this with Leia and found it quickly depletes your crystals. I'm not sure if their data mining is as good as it seems, but they also seem to offer other characters I need on the regular crystal rate (50/shard). To me this is one more way to convert freemiums to premiums. Eventually you'll be stuck with little to no crystals and you'll take the bite and pay. It's human nature to want more and/or completion.

I consider every move the devs make is one to increase revenue. They'll make meta and/or tune changes only when they realize the premium players are making noise. And that's all fine. It's capitalism and they're here to make money.

The crystals for chromium characters is as close as the free and mostly free kids will get to some of these toons.
  • MalEliza
    132 posts Member
    Options
    No. I don't think it is. Only if you really, really, really want Sun Fac. You would have to spend 320 crystals daily for 83 days (asuming Sun Fac is in shipments every day). 320 crystals require you to be top 10 in arena, always finish your gw and spend no crystals for anything else (e.g. guild activities). Even if you were able and willing to do that, imagine what else you could have done with those 26000 crystals. You could buy all the furnaces you need from shipments, farm many more shards and gear in ls/ds/cantina and get more guild currency to buy shards or gear in the guild store.
    All this is assuming that you already are level 80 and the level cap is not going to rise during your hunt for Sun Fac. Else, you also miss out on a lot of XP (which makes it more difficult to maintain your arena rank.

The only case in which buying chromium toons from shipments might be beneficial is if you already had the toon you want at 5 or 6 stars and only need a few shards to finish.
  • Options
    I think the best use of them is it allow players to get those last few shards for a character so they don't have to spend on more chromiums. i was able to finish my kit in 3 shipments which was cheaper then a chromium 8 pack (possibly multiple).

I guess it's also good if you only want 1 character as well.