What are your thoughts on Dengar's release timetable?

Prev1
Naecabon
1243 posts Member
edited June 2016
Dengar is following the same release schedule as Magmatrooper - he's now "available" as a login bonus toon *only* and cannot be farmed anywhere in the game, or opened in Chromiums.

My question is, who exactly is this targeting? Who benefits from this sort of release schedule, and who actually enjoys it?

Isn't "releasing" a toon when he is essentially unavailable a little weird? Do we all somehow greatly benefit from unlocking a mere 2* character over an entire 30 days? If he becomes available on the 1st of next month in Chromiums or any other farmbale location (probably just Chromiums) what advantage did it have in keeping P2P players off of him for all that time, if we're all unlocking him on the same day for the first time anyway?

None of this makes sense to me from a marketing standpoint, so I'm curious what you think. Here's a poll about it.

If you choose the "No" option I'd be genuinely curious to hear why.

I typo'd pretty hard on accident on my "yes" option ;) The overall point of it should still make plenty of sense though.

What are your thoughts on Dengar's release timetable? 123 votes

I think Dengar should believe Dengar should be available to the public on day one via other means than just login bonuses.
68%
JJHNaecabonKhorvog_KarbossaVarlieRogan_Ban84leeroyjenkinsHBOMBCOKFISTDrakeIXWildcats1203KAULIWhiteroomMLGebraunit900000Mofojokers1992TruffleJonesFabzorzSmithier2steve2WJ28HunterMuncherPuncher 84 votes
I believe Dengar should NOT be available to the public on day one via other means than just login bonuses.
31%
J7000PindasauskanonFoojElyndriagarubladorBoba_The_FetterSzecsaAmaltheaMizake_Mizandarth_mol_elizaPadmeTuftedpaper85StarNickRulexGOfish52Mo_lizaDayvenBig_BossDev_StrEgo12DraconisLeandrovv 39 votes

Replies

• Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think Dengar should believe Dengar should be available to the public on day one via other means than just login bonuses.
    PS. Choosing either option is not a declaration of WHERE he would be available, just the main idea of him being available AT ALL.
  • Options
    But it's not good thing either if he's chromium for the month and goes straight to arena/cantina after that. 1month is too little advantage to what we are used to with gear and other chromiums which give years ahead of others. It would be better if they said what's it gonna be so ppl don't waste $ on him if he's gonna be farmable.
  • Romao33
    121 posts Member
    Options
    No "I don't care" answer available?
  • Options
    I don't really care either. But only because I assume it will take money to get him and I don't plan on spending it. Put him in any of the farmable spots though and I might give a hoot. But even then not really. Too many projects going on at the moment.
  • Options
    I hope he's farmable but agree why not just let people get him as the month goes on that why the 30 shards help promote him at a faster rate.
  • SNAKEMAN
    470 posts Member
    Options
    I think he should be available by other mean immediately personally but I can see why they do it this way.

It's to build hype and show off what's to come in the very near future and get players anxious and excited!
    IGN: RANKMAN
    Line: xSNAKEMAN
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    SNAKEMAN wrote: »
    I think he should be available by other mean immediately personally but I can see why they do it this way.

It's to build hype and show off what's to come in the very near future and get players anxious and excited!

But it's not showing off anything if no one has him, right?
  • SNAKEMAN
    470 posts Member
    Options
    Naecabon wrote: »

Well I mean, his stats/character model. Maybe they could have up'd the bar and also put out a couple 15sec marketing videos on his In-game attacks.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options

Well I mean, his stats/character model. Maybe they could have up'd the bar and also put out a couple 15sec marketing videos on his In-game attacks.

IMO one of the top thing that entices people to buy something is seeing other people with that thing and seeing that thing perform it's functions and saying "hey I want that thing too!"

Plus it's not like a login bonus can really drive us to do anything out of the ordinary we wouldn't normally do. Logging in? Yeah I think we can all handle that.
  • SNAKEMAN
    470 posts Member
    Options

IMO one of the top thing that entices people to buy something is seeing other people with that thing and seeing that thing perform it's functions and saying "hey I want that thing too!"

Plus it's not like a login bonus can really drive us to do anything out of the ordinary we wouldn't normally do. Logging in? Yeah I think we can all handle that.

Yea, as I said I don't like long unecessary teases. Also aurodium only toons should at least be moved to chromium when their life cycle is over imo.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options

Yea, as I said I don't like long unecessary teases. Also aurodium only toons should at least be moved to chromium when their life cycle is over imo.

Yeah I don't understand why Wedge or Tusken Shaman aren't in Chromiums. Rex was an Aurodium but he's in Chromiums? What's going on here?
  • Options
    I believe Dengar should NOT be available to the public on day one via other means than just login bonuses.
    Well no one had him before either what does it really matter if I have to wait an extra month to unlock him?
  • Options
    I'd much rather they release toons this way then release him in an aurodium pack where I have to spend $10 to unlock him and then another $100 to level him up to where he's viable
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    I'd much rather they release toons this way then release him in an aurodium pack where I have to spend $10 to unlock him and then another $100 to level him up to where he's viable

You'd rather what exactly? "This way" as in you'd rather they just don't release them at all?
  • aerendhil
    503 posts Member
    Options
    I don't care.
    Too many unfinished toons already.
    I choose the Red Pill.
  • Options
    They do it this way so that they can see what the feedback is from players it is very powerful they might not move him to the lactic war or another place instead they will keep him in chromium once he is there there is no proof that he will go to any farm able location like his predecessor
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • GuinUK
    65 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do take your point, Naecarbon.

However, on reflection we should not be told where he is going.

Imagine if he ends up Chromium only. Imagine the whining on the boards.
    There would be fifty posts on day one of complete whine.

"Why give us a char that's 2* and then give it whales only?"
    "When's he becoming f2p?"

At least by releasing him this way people will discuss the character and teams etc which will include f2p who wouldn't have considered him if they knew he wasn't obtainable.

There is a certain irony that this post contradicts what I have said slightly, but you get my point.
    http://swgoh.gg/u/GuinUK - 0otini - 688-542-619 - A word of advice - never read a pop-up book about giraffes.
  • Options

@Naecabon

Actually the log in type new hero deal is insanely silly lol. Alot of my hero buys like Wedge , Sun Fac and Echo and what not came from the day 1 availability. If i actually took the time and got used to seeing the hero in game they lose that appeal to me.

Look "new and shiny"
    "Must have! !!"

But 30 day waiting period lol

"Eh"

As a collector I'm not phased if its 2* or 7*
  • Fooj
    99 posts Member
    Options
    I think they do this to make a point that sometimes they don't go for the money grab. It also gives f2p the rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor, and push into ownership of something they haven't seen other people using for months. It helps keep the game fresh for them.

If they released to p2p and then 30 days later opened it up to an easy farm many who blew cash on him would be miffed.

Plus... he's not the most iconic of figures. He's got niche appeal but I don't think he'd rack up a ton of sales anyway. I think it's a smart move on their part. The 30 shard trickle over the month is, for all intents and purposes, a strip tease.
  • Options
    I don't care either way, but the way they release this at least provides variety in the way they release new toons. Some are timed release like Dengar and magmatrooper before him, some are gated like the new Han, some are aurodium, some are chromium exclusives, some are raid currency, etc.....

Most of the monthly toons have been of the "minor" variety, i.e. the 1* and 2* heroes, which seems to be the place to release them anyways. I think they learned from their earlier mistake of using the monthly rewards on someone like Cad Bane who couldn't even be unlocked from solely the monthly shards.
  • Options
    Don't care either way.

But given his kit, this kind of release suggests he was made with particular content in mind that they expect to need significant time to prepare.
  • Options
    The first option is kind of weird. Why should we care what Dengar believes?
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    Options
    I voted no because for F2P its a sence of gratification to have a toon the exact same day any and all P2P have him it gives them a sence of HA Im just as good as you
    And on a more serious note why would you spend 200$ on a toon that if it is the same story as Magma trooper will be F2P by month end?? You only get to show him of 20-30 days and then one day later F2P have him without spending a penny
    If you had a wife and she knew you did that she would divorce you (unless your rich) so EA/CG is saving marriages world wide
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    Shaman is still unavailable.

Think they havent released him in a card or holotable to slow whales down.

• Options
    I didn't have a problem when they did it with Magmatrooper, I'm not going to have a problem with it now. Nothing has changed between then and now.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    djvita wrote: »
    Shaman is still unavailable.

Think they havent released him in a card or holotable to slow whales down.

That's the last thing they care about. They've clearly shown that they will take advantage of every single possibility of making money. I honestly think that they don't know where to go with their business model.

Pack purchases have probably been far below expectations. The game has stagnated, which is normal for any online game. For every new whale the game gains, it likely loses an equivalent amount. As a result, most of the games whales have already invested heavily resulting in many adopting a simple maintenance mode in spending. Chromium has always been an atrocious investment for established whales and the lottery nature combined with the generally poor return on investment of them turns non-whales away. This is why we've recently seen premium toons move to direct purchase in shipments and the creation aurodium packs.

I don't know what the answer for CG is. If it was simple, I'm sure they would've figured it out by now. But they can't seem to devise a stable model and that too hurts confidence in them by whales. I'm not investing in this new aurodium pack because of how burned I feel after wedge (due to his gearing requirements). The fact that they then re-release him as a "synergy" toon in the new aurodium pack is even worse. It devalues a purchase I just made 30 days ago.

Like Nae, I don't understand the logic of this release method. I get the f2p perspective of appearing to be on even footing with p2w. But that is an illusion that I'm surprised after all this time continues to persist. The very nature of this game will always mean those who spend have an advantage in at least time.
  • Options

Yeah I don't understand why Wedge or Tusken Shaman aren't in Chromiums. Rex was an Aurodium but he's in Chromiums? What's going on here?

Rex was on Chromiums first, before Aurodium existed. They couldn't really pull him from Chromium or people would flip out. Now their Aurodium strategy is to create a new toon that can't be gotten any other way. It's simply a way to manipulate demand.
  • Options
    It's foreshadowing of a scoundrel event, where you'll need a full squad of Nightsisters or Jawas to compete.
  • Options
    Like everything in this game obtaining dengar is a grind. In this case you have to log in everyday for 1 month. Frankly i'd prefer if he was put into guild shipments at the end of the month and not available in chromium so no one would have him 7* max straight away. Which i know wont happen. Oh well
  • Options
    The point is to get you to log in to the game every day.