Rey is balanced.. Royal guard isn't..

Prev13
EscapeArtist51
1675 posts Member
edited June 2016
Rey's damage is on par with IG-86, Leia, qui gon and Genosian soldier.. The latter of the three have much better utility to make up for doing a little bit less damage. But Rey's problem is not her being OP, it's her knight in shining armor Royal Guard. He is the annoying part of the arena, and as soon as the protection was implemented we all knew he was gonna be the best toon period. Yes he's beatable, no he shouldn't be nerfed into oblivion, something needs to change though. Everyone uses him. And using two tanks (Royal guard and Han) is starting to become the meta. Royal guard instantly makes a team a lot better. He shields the best damage dealers.. And there is very little chance of ignoring him. He fits into every team possible and is a useful member. Which is why everyone in the arena uses him. I counted it today.. 19 out of the top 20 in my arena shard, including myself use him. We either need a f2p counter, or.. he needs to be reworked in some way. Like for example... no taunting when he's stunned. That would effectively make Daka a hard counter to him, Royal guard would be effective against him, as well as other stun users.. But yeah Rey isn't the problem, the big red demon is the problem. And there's no getting around him unless... well, you have B2.
Post edited by EscapeArtist51 on

Replies

• Options
    QJG counters, takes taunt & gives team O up for 3 turns.
    AOE by Lando squashes despite taunt.

Both F2P. Be quiet, stop crying
  • Options
    Plo koon and mace windu also dispel
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    There are ways around the Royal Guard. But, yeah, he's definitely the best tank, which is why you see him everywhere. Reworking other tanks to increase their viability is preferred, though, because the way you beat the Royal Guard is the same way you beat any other tank.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • chuckwing
    679 posts Member
    Options
    CG knows that it is RG who is the problem, hence why we have B2 and Sun Fac. They didn't release those toons to be the anti-Rey that's for sure. People who think Rey is overpowered just don't know how to deal with her. If RG didn't exist, you would see WAY less Reys in arena. RG makes her what she is. He is the problem.

• Options
    @Will_Cocissmall
    1.Youre stupid
    2. Nobodies crying
    3. Qui gon is not a counter to Royal guard, he is merely his biggest threat. Qui gon can easily be killed before Royal guard even taunts ****.. Not to mention the fact that Royal guard is the only toon with a unique passive ability that taunts. Royal guard at the very least shouldn't taunt when stunned. Why don't you actually address the thread before trolling please? Also.. are you seriously calling lando a counter to Royal guard? Based solely on the fact he has a very good aoe? Regardless, of whether you agree with me or not, you should act a little more mature.
  • Options
    RG attributes -

Speed - slow
    Damage - low
    Health - high
    Utility - medium

He seems pretty balanced to me.

Your problem isn't RG, it's the heroes who hide behind him. His taunt is a good ability. He's balanced. He doesn't need to be reworked.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    OP, I couldn't disagree with you more. RG is balanced out by QGJ's debuff ability. Also, I've found that if I just focus my firepower on RG I can get him cleared out of the way and he's a non-issue. I've learned to deal with him. Instead of asking Big Brother to steal the ability others worked and paid for, I suggest you do the same.
  • Options
    @Will_Cocissmall
    1.Youre stupid
    2. Nobodies crying
    3. Qui gon is not a counter to Royal guard, he is merely his biggest threat. Qui gon can easily be killed before Royal guard even taunts ****.. Not to mention the fact that Royal guard is the only toon with a unique passive ability that taunts. Royal guard at the very least shouldn't taunt when stunned. Why don't you actually address the thread before trolling please? Also.. are you seriously calling lando a counter to Royal guard? Based solely on the fact he has a very good aoe? Regardless, of whether you agree with me or not, you should act a little more mature.

You said in your post that "we need a FTP counter" to RG. He told you that QGJ is F2P and he's right. You're getting awfully angry for no reason here. What do you consider a counter to a taunt if not someone who removes taunts? Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. Oh and yeah, you are crying.
  • Options
    Seeing RG on the opposing team just means that I get guaranteed offense up from QGJ. It also isn't that hard to use Rey and QGJ's assist to kill a toon from green health, preventing his taunt from activating. RG isn't OP, the rest of the tanks just suck. ST Han is okay, but QGJ can dispel his taunt and its cooldown is so long that he's useless after that. A tank with great tenacity, making the taunt difficult to dispel, would really cut down on RG usage.
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @AlwaysABigerFish Qui gon is not a counter, he is a merely just a check. Qui is definitely one of the first people the AI targets, he's easily stunned by dooku and or daka/Royal guard himself lmao. Not to mention, Royal guard moves after qui gon, and taunts LATER, in the match. Yeah qui gon can easily counter Storm trooper Han and other taunters.. But Nope not Royal guard, he is just his biggest threat. But regardless, if one toon is the only counter to a character, that character is pretty strong then right? But yeah don't address the fact that Royal guard is in like 70 percent of arena teams or that he taunts when stunned. Meanwhile people are just complaining about Rey when she's really not a problem. The solution to Royal guard is to not allow him to taunt while stunned, that way, he actually has counters.. And a weakness, instead of "Ohhh use qui gon, because you probably haven't thought of that"
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    You don't counter Royal Guard by destroying his taunt, you counter him by stunning the other player's DPS and focus firing on the Guard.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • AlwaysABigerFish
    1175 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You're saying that QGJ goes before RG taunts and that's true, but he does get to go again. He's very fast and he will go pretty soon after RG taunts. Spending a few attacks on RG instead of your primary target isn't a huge deal. And there are plenty of other slower dispelers if that's really what you are asking for. Plo, mace, and asajj come to mind but I'm sure there are others. And yes he's in most of the arena teams but so is dooku, so is QGJ, so is Rey, so is daka, and so is Han. I really don't see him as any threat until gear 9, but even then he's more of an annoyance than anything.
    Edit: I agree with you on the taunting while stunned thing, I'm pretty sure a dev said at one point that toons should not be dodging or called to assist while stunned. They fixed the assist but the dodge remains, and I don't think taunts should happen while he is stunned.
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Options
    I find RG insanely hard to deal with. I'm level 74, on a late March server. I'm aware that older/higher level servers don't see much Lumi. But Lumi is in probably 90+% of my arena opponents teams. And the Lumi / RG combo is just crazy effective. Because the time spent dealing with RG taunt is too long. Lumi will always heal the original target back over 50% health before I can finish them. Then soon as I hit them again, RG taunts again.

I run a team with a few options to deal with RG. My team is:

Asajj Ventress (L)
    Kylo Ren
    Night Sister Initiate
    Ahsoka
    Daka

I have 3 options to deal with RG:

1) use NI to place buff immunity on him. This rarely works. Her ability to place that negative status effect is just horrendous. However, when it does work, even if only 1/10 times, I generally have an easy win on my hands.

2) use Asajj to take the taunt away. This feels like a wasted turn, because unlike QGJ, her dispell isn't an attack, nor does it offer my team any buffs. It is a self heal, and that early in the battle, there's rarely anything to heal. And given her horrible speed, before I can get to this option and return to the original target, they've been healed back over 50% and I'm stuck again.

3) use Asajj and Kylo Ren AoE to try and kill the original target despite the taunt. This is probably my favorite method actually. Against low health characters, this works very well.

Often enough tho, all 3 of these options fail and I'm forced to kill RG first regardless. In that case, the fight is unwinnable.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    QG, Rey and RG each are used in about half of top arena teams.

If diversity is a goal another auto taunt say on Mace would help. He would provide an alternative between RG and QG.

The solution to RG, Rey tes is either go mirror and big damage with which the terrible AI you always win or go a little beefier to survive until the taunt drops and you can kill her. Ale helps for finishing blows
  • slampdx
    478 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Rey's damage is on par with IG-86, Leia, qui gon and Genosian soldier.. The latter of the three have much better utility to make up for doing a little bit less damage. But Rey's problem is not her being OP, it's her knight in shining armor Royal Guard. He is the annoying part of the arena, and as soon as the protection was implemented we all knew he was gonna be the best toon period. Yes he's beatable, no he shouldn't be nerfed into oblivion, something needs to change though. Everyone uses him. And using two tanks along with Royal guard as one of them is becoming the meta. Rey, along with another damage dealer and Han and Royal guard is the current meta.. Royal guard instantly makes a team a lot better. And there is no ignoring him.. ever. He fits into every time possible and is a useful member. We either need a f2p counter, or.. he needs to be reworked in some way. Like no taunting when he's stunned. But anyway, the big red demon is the problem.. And there's no getting around him unless... B2.

This comment has been removed as it violates forum guidelines.
    Post edited by BanthaPanda on
  • Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    QG, Rey and RG each are used in about half of top arena teams.

If diversity is a goal another auto taunt say on Mace would help. He would provide an alternative between RG and QG.

The solution to RG, Rey tes is either go mirror and big damage with which the terrible AI you always win or go a little beefier to survive until the taunt drops and you can kill her. Ale helps for finishing blows

I think it would be cool to have a light side equivalent to RG, but it wouldn't work with mace unless they gave him a huge health boost. Also, Jedi taunting would not be a great idea because there are a ridiculous amount of characters in this game that have anti-Jedi skills
  • WhiskeyPug
    338 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Rey's damage is on par with IG-86, Leia, qui gon and Genosian soldier.. The latter of the three have much better utility to make up for doing a little bit less damage. But Rey's problem is not her being OP, it's her knight in shining armor Royal Guard. He is the annoying part of the arena, and as soon as the protection was implemented we all knew he was gonna be the best toon period. Yes he's beatable, no he shouldn't be nerfed into oblivion, something needs to change though. Everyone uses him. And using two tanks along with Royal guard as one of them is becoming the meta. Rey, along with another damage dealer and Han and Royal guard is the current meta.. Royal guard instantly makes a team a lot better. And there is no ignoring him.. ever. He fits into every time possible and is a useful member. We either need a f2p counter, or.. he needs to be reworked in some way. Like no taunting when he's stunned. But anyway, the big red demon is the problem.. And there's no getting around him unless... B2.

The first sentence is completely inaccurate so it's hard to consider the rest of your argument. Rey's damage is much more than any other character.

QGJ is weak damage, great utility! But not great on damage (unless he calls Rey to assist of course) do I really need to elaborate this one?

GS may hit for a 10kish crit + an assist (3-5k sound fair?) every other turn but his basic, if it crits, is about 6k. I'd say GS total dps = Rey's basic damage average but rey also has two high damage abilities which tip the scale.

Leia has to use one turn to stealth, you can't just ignore that. Also her damage per hit on an equal gear player is roughly 3-5k (with crit) per hit. IF she triple taps that's 9-15k dmg which is almost close to Rey's furry, but not much more than Rey's basic. Keeping into account she doesn't triple tap every time,her average is probably 7-10k per basic but she also loses a turn to stealth so that should be taken into account.

Ig 86 I can't speak volumes in but he really only shines in a full droid team and he has less survivability than Rey.

These are just rough estimates but feel it's pretty fair critique. Rey could take a 15% damage nerf and still be the best dps in game and also more survivability than QGJ, GS, and ig-86. Rey has foresight and also life steal.
  • Options
    @WhiskeyPug Rey is nowhereee near that much stronger than the rest of those toons. Yes she does more damage, they all definitely beat her out in terms of utility. Except for Ig-86 who just has better syngeries and fits in certain droid teams, his damage is pretty much equal to Rey's.. Each toon has their strengths and weaknesses, I didn't even mention that Rey has the least hp and armor of all of them, yes foresight makes up for that in a big way but it's still there. Qui gon has very good damage. It's not weak but it's not the greatest. Genosian has his own self offense up on his basic, Leia can hide the whole time which is good too since it can force you to attack toons like fives or old Ben.. So that is a good thing too. Honestly you're right, she could use a 10 percent damage decrease, and maybe they should take it off her unique, but really, she's not OP. She's just the best damage dealer. I'd take Leia over Rey in a lot of teams... Maybe qui gon as well.
  • Options
    @WhiskeyPug Rey is nowhereee near that much stronger than the rest of those toons. Yes she does more damage, they all definitely beat her out in terms of utility. Except for Ig-86 who just has better syngeries and fits in certain droid teams, his damage is pretty much equal to Rey's.. Each toon has their strengths and weaknesses, I didn't even mention that Rey has the least hp and armor of all of them, yes foresight makes up for that in a big way but it's still there. Qui gon has very good damage. It's not weak but it's not the greatest. Genosian has his own self offense up on his basic, Leia can hide the whole time which is good too since it can force you to attack toons like fives or old Ben.. So that is a good thing too. Honestly you're right, she could use a 10 percent damage decrease, and maybe they should take it off her unique, but really, she's not OP. She's just the best damage dealer. I'd take Leia over Rey in a lot of teams... Maybe qui gon as well.
    I don't know, I think if you were to really crunch the numbers she would be THAT much better. There's a reason almost everyone runs her. It's similar to saying RG isn't the best tank by that much. He is, RGs AI alone is better than any other tank and so is his protection/hp and ability to taunt multiple times. I think the difference is RG can't be nerfed because it would make him useless, as he is a tank and if he can't take damage or taunt what's the point? Rey on the other hand could see a damage nerf and still be fine, even the best damage in game, just not by a huge margin anymore
  • Options
    @WhiskeyPug You're right, she could see a slight nerf and still be the best but she'd really need some utility to justify using her then.. Because all of those other toons would be pretty much better than her now. Leia already is to a lot of people. She'd be much better if Rey got nerfed, qui gon is already just as good as Rey, if she got nerfed slightly I wouldn't use her over qui gon. Genosian soldiers omega on his passive gives him +50 percent turn meter on a crit, and he already has a high crit chance, plus more hp and protection. If Rey gets nerfed by 15 percent damage she wouldn't be any better than those three.. And Rg can receive a slight nerf which he really needs. They should add to his passive ability "cannot taunt when stunned". That gives daka, Royal guard, Luke, and many others a chance at seeing more usage. That also adds more strategy and diversity to the game.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lolol. Your server is so far behind.

Trust me. This is old news. This was the case starting within 1 week after the protection update on my server. And guess what. This is nothing but a passing fad. This is what works at this stage on your server, is all. It will change before you know it.

Rg and han and rey will remain good toons, but they arent worth much in any combination without key other toons. And the best free to play squads do not include all 3, afaic.

If ur complaining about tanks now i wonder where the heck u were with the protection update. It is about 2 months too late to complain.
  • Options
    Sorry but Rey is not balanced. Not complaining...just being a fan boy. So let me get this straight...she learned how to use the force like five minutes ago and now has the deadliest attack in the history of the galaxy?!?! I am sorry but there has to be some accountability here. Darth Maul would slay her in the movies...not to mention Vader, Sidius, etc.

Agree on the big red elephant in the room.

The force is out of balance on these two.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Always a bigerfish: making other toons to perform similarly to meta toons is a terrible way to increase diversity. Pawns go forward, bishops move diagonally. If u start making pawn/bishop hybrids instead of pawns and bishops, u are losing diversity. Mace already has important utility.

Nerfing rg or rey, or slightly buffing other toons to do more reylike damage is not increasing diversity either.

The way to increase diversity is to have access to all the toons. And to give as many toons as possible unique places where they shine. Using unique synergies and abilities. And dps.

When a skill gives 25% chance to do 55% more of this or that, do u think the devs pull those numbers out of a hat? Or do u think they test this with hundreds of squad on squad combinations and tweak it to be right?

The devs have access to all the toons. You do not. Metas are not stable. It is just a slice of the entire game u are seeing in one point in time.
  • Faff2D2
    253 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    When a skill gives 25% chance to do 55% more of this or that, do u think the devs pull those numbers out of a hat? Or do u think they test this with hundreds of squad on squad combinations and tweak it to be right

test? hundreds? :D:*:/
  • Options
    slampdx wrote: »

They don't drug test at your work?

+10
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, Rey is balanced.
    Every other attacker is underpowered. Obviously.

When a toon becomes the new basis for damage, it's definitely not a problem.

Get on her levels other attackers scrubs!
  • Boba_The_Fetter
    3393 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I like the idea of royal guard being reys knight in shining armour. Protecting her so she can swing her stick with the power of a million lightsabers
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options
    ....Qui gon can easily be killed before Royal guard even taunts ****..
    What kind of crap QGJ do you have that he is killed off so easy?? I'm looking at mine at 6* and he has 13358 health and 16322 protection

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If u give other attackers rey damage, how are u going to balance them?

Is GS also going to lose 60% damage when debuffed? And FOTP, too? And RP?

If u buff other toons rey will not be desirable. Too many people have already developed toons to beat her. Now she will be one of the worst dps.

Once the rest of the people catch up on how to beat rey, meta will shift to fotp or rp or other dps, naturally. There is no need to make reactionary changes.

(I dont have rey, yet. Well 4* G6)
  • Breetai
    858 posts Member
    Options
    RG is not op. It's just he is the only tank with protection that actually protects is the problem. Not counting st han in it as he more tm than protection, which he also does perfectly well.

That's why they are the 2 used. They are they only ones built right.

I wished all taunters would get reworks and have extremely high health like RG with a way to taunt fast. Just different utility