Old Ben auto-Taunt

Prev13
Old Ben needs a taunt, his unique is completely worthless right now because no one ever attacks him and he has 10 million health. How about he taunt like RG. It would make sense since he needs a taunt anyway and given his history in sacrificing himself in episode IV. Thoughts?

Replies

• 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • Options

:D
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    Good times, good times!
  • OoUndead
    212 posts Member
    Options
    Then play with GG ! he will give him a taunt :D !
    If Old Ben has a taunt. You will see him in every single team in the top #58574 !
  • Options
    Old Ben HAS an "auto" taunt. He rips the target from any ally to himself when you face him while in auto-battle.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    I would love this. It would make him even more useful!
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If OB were to get a taunt then his leader ability would need to disappear. You can't have a toon that does everything. He is a tank in the sense that he has high health and protects the other party members through evasion and subsequent TM gain of his leader ability. If he had a taunt then his "if you strike me down" ability would be too powerful because often we would be forced to KO him first. Also the IYSMD ability is what satisfies the thematic nature of what you described. A taunt would require a complete rework of the character.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    KelEl85 wrote: »
    If OB were to get a taunt then his leader ability would need to disappear. You can't have a toon that does everything. He is a tank in the sense that he has high health and protects the other party members through evasion and subsequent TM gain of his leader ability. If he had a taunt then his "if you strike me down" ability would be too powerful because often we would be forced to KO him first. Also the IYSMD ability is what satisfies the thematic nature of what you described. A taunt would require a complete rework of the character.

He also reduces damage with his special which is a great special and the OP mysteriously forgot to mention it at all.
  • Options
    Maybe a 1 turn taunt. I would be totally in favor of losing his leader ability and his evasion up for a taunt.
  • Options
    Why have if you strike me down even exist at this point? It literally never gets used.
  • Options
    Maybe a 1 turn taunt. I would be totally in favor of losing his leader ability and his evasion up for a taunt.

Then just get a taunting tank lol
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

Yea just use Chewie instead lol
  • RealHanSolo
    447 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Well for starters, it still makes no sense that he has an ability that literally never ever ever gets used.

Also I prefer to use Jedi and his Mind Tricks ability. Why not make that ability actually useful? Why does an old man have evasion up anyway?
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    Options
    Why have if you strike me down even exist at this point? It literally never gets used.

True. But the threat of it makes you leave Ben for last. Now maybe thats not that big of a deal because Ben isn't a hard hitter, but every 5 turns he will be blocking your abilities, dropping your offense and reducing your TM. Having him on the board is a nuisance, but taking him out is tough because of his health+evasion+IYSMD ability making it a bad idea to try to focus him of the board.

• Options

Well for starters, it still makes no sense that he has an ability that literally never ever ever gets used.
    Also I prefer to use Jedi and his Mind Tricks ability. Second why not make that ability actually useful? Why does an old man have evasion up anyway?

Jedi don't taunt. They heal and evade. That's their thing. That's why they don't need a taunting tank.
  • Options
    Also, even if you added the passive taunt and kept his leader and evasion up basic he still wouldn't be any more over-powered than RG. RG has the taunt, speed down/stun, defense up, health regeneration.
  • Options

True. But the threat of it makes you leave Ben for last. Now maybe thats not that big of a deal because Ben isn't a hard hitter, but every 5 turns he will be blocking your abilities, dropping your offense and reducing your TM. Having him on the board is a nuisance, but taking him out is tough because of his health+evasion+IYSMD ability making it a bad idea to try to focus him of the board.

I disagree. Personally I leave him for last just because he has 1 million health and does no damage so he's not a threat to anyone. And his debuff cool down makes it almost impossible to be used more than once in the arena.

And still the ability just makes no sense for a character with that much health it's useless
  • Options

Also I prefer to use Jedi and his Mind Tricks ability. Second why not make that ability actually useful? Why does an old man have evasion up anyway?

Jedi don't taunt. They heal and evade. That's their thing. That's why they don't need a taunting tank.

If any of them made sense to have a taunt it would be Anakin, at least if you look at it lore wise
  • Options

With the if you strike me down ability a taunt only makes sense otherwise there's no reason for it to exist because it never gets triggered.

Also, I mean that may be the Jedi's thing but right now they are all nerfed to the point of being worthless aside from QGJ so why not thing of cool ways to make them viable?

Im sure I'm not the only one who started playing this game with the intent of using something other than obscure and cannon-fodder characters like GS and being able to be relevant.
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    Options

With the if you strike me down ability a taunt only makes sense otherwise there's no reason for it to exist because it never gets triggered.

Also, I mean that may be the Jedi's thing but right now they are all nerfed to the point of being worthless aside from QGJ so why not thing of cool ways to make them viable?

Im sure I'm not the only one who started playing this game with the intent of using something other than obscure and cannon-fodder characters like GS and being able to be relevant.

I'm all for improving Jedi teams. In fact a week or so ago i started a thread about what Jedi teams need to be viable as a full squad. And yes the top thing that most commented on (myself included) was a tank with a proper taunt ability. I'm sure we will get that eventually, probably soon. It could be a change to an existing toon or a whole new Jedi character like Ki Adi Mundi. But giving Ben a taunt in his current form would be too much. If he loses his evasion ability, sure a taunt would be fine. But then you've completely changed the way the character works, what he was designed to do. It would be much easier to give Mace a taunt ability, and make Ben's leader ability help Jedi only (maybe with half the boost for none jedi like Lumi's leader ability). I just feel that a taunt doesn't fit with Ben in his current form. You'd need to really take the character back to the drawing board to give him a taunt or he would just be too powerful.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ben is amazing already. He is promonent on leaderboards.

So he has useless ability.

A lot of toons have one useless ability.

Dont lvl it up. Or level it a bit. It will come in handy in raids anyway.

I agree it isnt very useful. Neither is half of bens health and protection. (Unless he is paired with a stealthed leia, maybe).

I used my 4 star ben in GW from node 4 on, yesterday. He finished GW with protection left. Lol.

If anything ben could use a nerf of his protection and health. Then he would be 99 percent the same. And just maybe his unique would come into play.

I have found no reason to star ben above 4 or to gear with any raid. Once u get him to speed 112 and potency 50, done. The rest of the gear and stars doesnt matter, as far as i can tell. (I dont have leia, though). The only thing is higher gear and star ben might be better on defense against low offense squads.
  • RealHanSolo
    447 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'm all for improving Jedi teams. In fact a week or so ago i started a thread about what Jedi teams need to be viable as a full squad. And yes the top thing that most commented on (myself included) was a tank with a proper taunt ability. I'm sure we will get that eventually, probably soon. It could be a change to an existing toon or a whole new Jedi character like Ki Adi Mundi. But giving Ben a taunt in his current form would be too much. If he loses his evasion ability, sure a taunt would be fine. But then you've completely changed the way the character works, what he was designed to do. It would be much easier to give Mace a taunt ability, and make Ben's leader ability help Jedi only (maybe with half the boost for none jedi like Lumi's leader ability). I just feel that a taunt doesn't fit with Ben in his current form. You'd need to really take the character back to the drawing board to give him a taunt or he would just be too powerful.

Makes sense. I still think Ben makes more sense as a tank with taunt and sacrifice than an evasion toon, working like RG would be more fitting of the character.

I think Mace could be ok in his current form of his basic damage is fixed. His basic is supposed to be 50% extra damage when he's above 50% health, but they make him do so little damage that with the 50% boost he still does less damage than a similarly-geared Lumi, QGJ or other character which makes no sense at all. If he has the extra 50% damage that should not be so little that it makes him still do less damage than anyone else other than Barriss or Ben. I think if he had the same Physical Damage as like Lumi he could be viable, he would hit hard and he has a second attack with dispel. I also do like his leader ability

• kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    I think Mace could be ok in his current form of his basic damage is fixed. His basic is supposed to be 50% extra damage when he's above 50% health, but they make him do so little damage that with the 50% boost he still does less damage than a similarly-geared Lumi, QGJ or other character which makes no sense at all. If he has they extra 50% damage that should make him still do less damage than anyone else other than Barriss or Ben. I think if he had the same Physical Damage as like Lumi he could be viable, he would hit hard and he has a second attack with dispel. I also do like his leader ability

Mace's damage is supposed to come from Shatterpoint, but the fact that it only triggers half the time on a random enemy, coupled with Mace's low potency makes it a very rare event indeed. If they made it so the expose couldn't be resisted, he'd probably be a heck of a lot better. And just like Vader, he's a leader - so when he's not leading, he doesn't get his own offense bonus, just like Vader.

As for Ben, his tankiness comes from both the protection he offers the rest of the squad in terms of AoE ability block and offense down for 2 turns (!), and evasion if used as a lead. That's a pretty potent combo, and auto-taunt would just be over the top if they added it to his kit. Auto-taunt can also be a liability since it gives an enemy QGJ's a chance to give everyone offense up, nullifying his offense down.

xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    If you traded in both mind tricks and leader skill for a taunt, a taunt-only ben would still be OP. His evasion and resistance and health are too high. He would be redonculous.
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    I think Mace could be ok in his current form of his basic damage is fixed. His basic is supposed to be 50% extra damage when he's above 50% health, but they make him do so little damage that with the 50% boost he still does less damage than a similarly-geared Lumi, QGJ or other character which makes no sense at all. If he has they extra 50% damage that should make him still do less damage than anyone else other than Barriss or Ben. I think if he had the same Physical Damage as like Lumi he could be viable, he would hit hard and he has a second attack with dispel. I also do like his leader ability

Mace's damage is supposed to come from Shatterpoint, but the fact that it only triggers half the time on a random enemy, coupled with Mace's low potency makes it a very rare event indeed. If they made it so the expose couldn't be resisted, he'd probably be a heck of a lot better. And just like Vader, he's a leader - so when he's not leading, he doesn't get his own offense bonus, just like Vader.

As for Ben, his tankiness comes from both the protection he offers the rest of the squad in terms of AoE ability block and offense down for 2 turns (!), and evasion if used as a lead. That's a pretty potent combo, and auto-taunt would just be over the top if they added it to his kit. Auto-taunt can also be a liability since it gives an enemy QGJ's a chance to give everyone offense up, nullifying his offense down.

He's supposed to be a devastating attacker but his basic is as weak as Old Ben and his Shatterpoint does 1k less damage than Lumis force blast. His damage for both need some serious buffs in order for his description to make sense.

I can't see how a taunt would put him over RG let alone over the top.
  • Options
    Evasion on defense is its own disaster that needs to be fixed
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    He's supposed to be a devastating attacker but his basic is as weak as Old Ben and his Shatterpoint does 1k less damage than Lumis force blast. His damage for both need some serious buffs in order for his description to make sense.

Depends who you're attacking. Exposed heroes lose damage equal to 20% of their max health when attacked. Lum's blast also has a cooldown, and she's an attacker not a tank. As mentioned, his biggest issue is that Shatterpoint rarely applies successfully.

His leader ability gives him evasion and his basic gives him evasion for 3 turns. Auto-taunt would mean everyone would have to target a hero that's likely to dodge every other attack. At least if he's leading he'd gain TM each time he dodge and the taunt would be very short, but either way there would have to be some sort of trade-off made to his kit if auto-taunt was added.

xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »

Depends who you're attacking. Exposed heroes lose damage equal to 20% of their max health when attacked. Lum's blast also has a cooldown, and she's an attacker not a tank. As mentioned, his biggest issue is that Shatterpoint rarely applies successfully.

His leader ability gives him evasion and his basic gives him evasion for 3 turns. Auto-taunt would mean everyone would have to target a hero that's likely to dodge every other attack. At least if he's leading he'd gain TM each time he dodge and the taunt would be very short, but either way there would have to be some sort of trade-off made to his kit if auto-taunt was added.

Totally would trade his leader and evasion up for a taunt. 100% I think he'd be a much better character and it would make more sense for him.

Mace would make is called a tank and also a devastating attacker but nothing in his kit matches either of those he has super low health for a tank and he hits super weak, that's the problem, if his attacks really were devastating like Rey or something then it would make sense, but his current kit doesn't match that description at all.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    If they remove his dodge leadership i agree. Otherwise nope.
  • Options
    @1AmYourFath3r wrote:

"Jedi don't taunt. They heal and evade. That's their thing. That's why they don't need a taunting tank."

Actually, I think YOUNG Ben (obi wan) would be a perfect example of a taunting Jedi.
    His quips during his fights with multiple bad guys took them out of their game slightly, and he isn't like Anakin who GETS taunted easily.
    We shall see when he is finally made!