Charity Event Fail

Prev1
So EA/CG is offering a bundle for $29.99 for the charity event in which they will donate for playing in the event. But the bundle pack is probably one of the worst I have seen yet in this game. The bundle is to help people play in the charity event yet none of the sales of said bundle goes towards any charity in support of this event.

Way to go EA/CG. Had you actually stated proceeds from sales of the bundles went to charity in support of this event I would have gladly purchased it despite not needing any of the pack items.

Green_Legend_Ran A storm is coming...

Replies

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Then... Don't buy it?

Is this a trick question?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I have to disagree. 1200 crystals is worth about $10, a little less. You get a full Leia and shards to 3*, Ahsoka if you don't have her and if you do, 40 bonus shards (600 shard shop currency if she's maxed out), and a 100k credits. Minus crystal
    Cost you get the toons and shards for about $20. Pretty solid deal. There's been way worse like Jedi bundle and the $99 pack of farmable toons.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • Options
    for sure. one of the worst pack .... leia will be available after this event and ahsoka is already for some time
  • Options
    @NicWester @Valent_Antona
    Your missing the point. Charging for a bundle for a charity event. In which spending nothing will cause then to donate (as well as free ally points) but not donate anything from pack bundles to help people in the event is ridiculous. Pure profit grab by EA/CG in the name of charity.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    You're missing the point that--from what folks in other time zones are saying--it's an event that can be easily done with even a couple characters and people aren't going to need the pack at all. It's there for people to buy if they want, it's not like it's a mandatory purchase to gain entry or anything.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    You're missing the point that--from what folks in other time zones are saying--it's an event that can be easily done with even a couple characters and people aren't going to need the pack at all. It's there for people to buy if they want, it's not like it's a mandatory purchase to gain entry or anything.

You're missing the point that the op believes it's lame that the proceeds from the purchase don't go to charity despite the event being for charity.
  • Options
    So they make a little money and a portion gets donated to the charity. Name one organization that donates 100% of proceeds to the charity. None. Not even non-profit. They have employees and operating costs. This is how business is done.

It's a good deal. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Or go to the charity and donate $30 directly of
    Which about $5 will actually go to the cause.
  • Options

Exactly, its not need, BUT to market the bundle for the event and yet not donate any proceeds of the bundle is wrong.
  • QuiteDrunk
    188 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i think EVENT is a strong word to use for this afterthought. and love the Liea pack for £22.00 not like you have made enough off of her since launch, putting her overpriced shards in shipments, now you throw her into a pack just before she goes free and call it charity... lmao.

what % goes to charity? can find no info on how much of our donations goes to charity.

all great and well saying $1000000 is going to kick the charity off but if over $3000000 is made off the back off this event then it is hardly charity is it?

more transparency please. but asking for transparency from EA is a complete waste of time.
    Post edited by GummyBearKing268 on
  • Valent_Antona
    1034 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Exactly, its not need, BUT to market the bundle for the event and yet not donate any proceeds of the bundle is wrong.
    It's not wrong. They never said bundle proceeds would be donated. You assumed that. I think. I can't even tell what you're upset about. They do this for every event, offer bundles to help kick start it. This isn't like the earth day event where they said all proceeds even from packs go to the charity. It was never stated that way. Stick it to them and go donate the $30 directly to the charity instead of buying that money grab of a pack.
  • Options
    Makes me wonder, how many people bought the bundle thinking it went to charity.
  • Niemsco
    104 posts Member
    Options
    100% of proceeds from ewok event went to charity. Agree that could be more transparent to what is actually being donated.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    So they make a little money and a portion gets donated to the charity. Name one organization that donates 100% of proceeds to the charity. None. Not even non-profit. They have employees and operating costs. This is how business is done.

It's a good deal. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Or go to the charity and donate $30 directly of
    Which about $5 will actually go to the cause.

While it's true that no charitable organization puts 100% of its income into charity for those reasons, there are plenty of third party companies/organizations who hold drives that do put 100% of the money they make towards the actual NPO.
  • crimsontide121
    22 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The best part is quite a few people in our guild, myself included, seem to be able to buy the pack and get messages about the event but cant participate in it. So we can give money that doesn't go to charity but we cant attack to actually help it.....
  • Green_Legend_Ran
    389 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

It's not wrong. They never said bundle proceeds would be donated. You assumed that. I think. I can't even tell what you're upset about. They do this for every event, offer bundles to help kick start it. This isn't like the earth day event where they said all proceeds even from packs go to the charity. It was never stated that way. Stick it to them and go donate the $30 directly to the charity instead of buying that money grab of a pack.

I never once said that I assumed it was sold for charity. They marketed it for the event for the charity, not sold for charity.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Uh... They have a page that explains the donation process. It's linked in the Community Update.

http://www.ea.com/play2016/play-to-give

If you feel really, really strongly that the bundle is misleading or whatever, then don't buy it. Instead, click-through and donate directly to one of the charities.
  • Options
    QuiteDrunk wrote: »

more transparency please.

i agree. and it seems that the notification was launched before the event, another problem
  • Options
    These aren't even real charities...(except for one) they are nonexistent political issues. The code one is pretty good but it's not a charity.
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • QuiteDrunk
    188 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i have nothing against charity's, i donate to every homeless person i see (if i have change) and i buy the big issue (uk homeless magazine) and donate to breast cancer (mum had a vasectomy).

if you want to donate make sure you know where the money is going because i guarantee EA will make a packet off off this so called charity event.

another shining example of EA's questionable business practises.
  • DJJ
    367 posts Member
    Options
    It's very possible that newer players don't have enough female characters to participate and this allows them to do so. The value is reasonable. I don't think many if any of past bundles have given unfarmable characters so saying that Leia will be free is moot. It's really not necessary to criticize everything they ever do. They never said the bundles go to charity, but they say they are giving to charity if you play an event that is free for them. If you buy the bundle, you get a little something and they make some money, which is ultimately the goal of every business. This community just can't be happy about anything.
  • Options
    DJJ wrote: »
    It's very possible that newer players don't have enough female characters to participate and this allows them to do so. The value is reasonable. I don't think many if any of past bundles have given unfarmable characters so saying that Leia will be free is moot. It's really not necessary to criticize everything they ever do. They never said the bundles go to charity, but they say they are giving to charity if you play an event that is free for them. If you buy the bundle, you get a little something and they make some money, which is ultimately the goal of every business. This community just can't be happy about anything.

but to promote an event then make a pack especially for said event leaving out ambiguous information like weather proceeds are going to charity or not is shady business practices that YOU are defending.

not to mention that Liea goes free right after this event, just another example of EA milking for everything they are worth, have they not made enough off of her since launch? or even when she went to shipments for 320 crystals for 4 shards?

stop defending EA, they are not worth your loyalty.

• Obs0lete
    382 posts Member
    Options
    i have nothing against charity's, i donate to every homeless person i see (if i have change) and i buy the big issue (uk homeless magazine) and donate to breast cancer (mum had a vasectomy).

I do hope you meant mastectomy, but I'm not here to judge. Sorry about your mother.
  • Options
    First step is to actually have an event in the first place...

No event here
  • Options
    Did they mention what charity?
  • Options
    Probably for the company picnic
  • Options
    Obs0lete wrote: »

I do hope you meant mastectomy, but I'm not here to judge. Sorry about your mother.

Lol, two very different procedures.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Options
    jeremyj26 wrote: »
    Obs0lete wrote: »

Lol, two very different procedures.

ROFL I'm DED. I didn't even catch that
  • Options
    What's weird is the game keeps telling me the event is live and to go play,yet it does not show up

• DJJ
    367 posts Member
    Options
    DJJ wrote: »

but to promote an event then make a pack especially for said event leaving out ambiguous information like weather proceeds are going to charity or not is shady business practices that YOU are defending.

not to mention that Liea goes free right after this event, just another example of EA milking for everything they are worth, have they not made enough off of her since launch? or even when she went to shipments for 320 crystals for 4 shards?

stop defending EA, they are not worth your loyalty.

I am not aware of any ambiguous language stating that the proceeds of the packs could possibly be going to charity. If this exists, please point it out to me and I will retract that part of my statement.

I enjoy this game and have done so with very minimal investment. I don't care about your bad experiences with other EA games, my experience with this one has been just fine.

If you have enough characters to play and don't need the bundle, great. Guess what? You dont have to buy it! Some people need it and have bought it and are happy with it whether it goes to charity or not, and it doesn't need to be a concern to you.
  • Salacious_Slug
    255 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

It is usually written that 100% of PROFIT is donated to charity. not proceeds.