Spend Credits on my Top Characters?

This question may not make much sense. I'll try to lay out my dilemma. I've got 7 7* toons. Most of them gear 8. They are all level 70. I am a level 79 now, but I still haven't leveled my top toons. Instead I've been trying to start deepening my bench and getting a greater variety of toons to 5* and seeing which perform best. Now I know people will probably just tell me to max my good team, but it just doesn't seem worth it at the moment. (It's obviously a long term goal though). And I don't really care about arena rank so that's not really a concern. My bigger concern is that if I max out my best toons, my arena rank will put me in galactic war matches that will completely rule out my b teams as being viable. Suggestions?

Replies

• Beege
    74 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have done the same thing. I am a FTP lvl80 with 13 7* toons. I have almost all toons to gear7 (43 out of 51). I have all 51 characters at lvl58 or higher with my top 10 siting between 65-70. This has put me in a good position for GW and the ever changing meta. I have won 99 straight GWs and has really helped me round out my characters. If you don't much care about Arena (I remain around 300 each reset) and are happy with your guild and your performance in your raids I say keep going. I have been very happy being able to try different viable combinations and it has helped keep the game fresh. Just know that you will get dominated on the new events (I can't beat T3 Aayla to save my life) but overall most content is still fairly easy to complete. Have fun and enjoy the grind!
  • Options
    Didn't the update change GW? I'm in a similar spot and wondering about droid teams and what to do with them (they're my b-squad) but every time I spend on them I'm like hmm should I be spending on my A-team?
  • Beege
    74 posts Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to personal preference. I would rather have a bunch of good characters than a select number of amazing characters. Also, knowing that "one day" they would all get there. It's a grind, how you grind depends on how you get enjoyment from the game.
  • Options
    Good points thanks.
  • Options
    I agree @Beege My theory is to get a lot of the decent characters 5 starred and figure out what I like about them and how they synergize with other toons. Then if they become good later when the meta shifts, I'll already have a head start to further leveling them. And of course eventually I would like to get them all promoted to 7 stars if they are good. It's just a matter of which ones are priority.
  • SifuSteve
    439 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good advice here. I focused on my A-team and Arena. I do quite well but have suffered since the gear bottleneck. It meant I would do masses of damage in one shot at Raids but failed to keep pace with other guild members and reap the rewards of various events (Droids Fight Back notwithstanding).

However, since reaching the level cap, my gameplay has changed. I can spend my hard-earned funds on bringing up toons I had long since abandoned. It's liberating and has reinvigorated the game for me. I envy you for having experienced this throughout your time with the game.

Now you are on the forums you will likely face a dilemma: Most of the best advice here is given by competitive players who prioritise Arena standing. That's not a slight to them; it's a simple fact that people who enjoy competing in a social arena are the same people who want to engage with the community socially.

The flip side to this is that if you remove yourself from this inherent competitiveness you will find yourself to be a valuable member to your guild and a well-rounded player in the solo game.

You have two choices and you should decide which will yield the most fun (which ultimately is what any game should be about):
    1. You continue along your admirable path. This will keep you entertained as you experience new synergies and builds. You will be valued by your guild.
    2. You take the plunge into the competitive arena and max out a solid squad. This will give you a different experience to what you have had already but pursuing it might be long and arduous. You have the advantage because with many builds you won't be starting from scratch, like many.

Apologies for the density of that philosophical waffle but I'm drunk and it's been a good day. (",)
    Just because more people say it, doesn't make it more right.
  • Kane13
    256 posts Member
    Options
    SifuSteve wrote: »
    Good advice here. I focused on my A-team and Arena. I do quite well but have suffered since the gear bottleneck. It meant I would do masses of damage in one shot at Raids but failed to keep pace with other guild members and reap the rewards of various events (Droids Fight Back notwithstanding).

However, since reaching the level cap, my gameplay has changed. I can spend my hard-earned funds on bringing up toons I had long since abandoned. It's liberating and has reinvigorated the game for me. I envy you for having experienced this throughout your time with the game.

Now you are on the forums you will likely face a dilemma: Most of the best advice here is given by competitive players who prioritise Arena standing. That's not a slight to them; it's a simple fact that people who enjoy competing in a social arena are the same people who want to engage with the community socially.

The flip side to this is that if you remove yourself from this inherent competitiveness you will find yourself to be a valuable member to your guild and a well-rounded player in the solo game.

You have two choices and you should decide which will yield the most fun (which ultimately is what any game should be about):
    1. You continue along your admirable path. This will keep you entertained as you experience new synergies and builds. You will be valued by your guild.
    2. You take the plunge into the competitive arena and max out a solid squad. This will give you a different experience to what you have had already but pursuing it might be long and arduous. You have the advantage because with many builds you won't be starting from scratch, like many.

Apologies for the density of that philosophical waffle but I'm drunk and it's been a good day. (",)

I want what you're drinking :D
  • SifuSteve
    439 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dr Daniels, my friend! In a pint glass put a quadruple measure of Jack Daniels in, then fill with Dr Pepper. Two of those and you'll be spouting philosophical nonsense in no time. #fuct
    (",)
    Just because more people say it, doesn't make it more right.
  • Rotor
    473 posts Member
    Options
    I have done something similar to what you have mentioned. I have kept my Arena team on the Top 500-200 range. I concentrated on gearing toons for galactic war and raids. Since most toons needs some raid gear you can hit a wall with your high level toons until you obtain that gear anyways. The only downside is that they have made GW a joke now instead of being a challenge where you had to build different teams.

Just remember play the game how it is the most fun to you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. @SifuSteve I am impressed that you can be that philosophical while drunk. Your reply made my day! Thanks for the reminder to make the game fun for me. I guess that's what it really comes down to at the end of the day.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't even know which is my A team. I waffle between droids and my Dooku/Ben/QGJ teams.

I try to reserve my gears and credits until something major will happen. Most of my main toons are level 68-73. Only Dooks was higher, at 76 to omega his basic. Today I reached 80, and I finally dropped 1.8 million to lvl HK and spent 3 omegas on HK leadership. And then proceeded to have the most fun raid and arena hour I've had in a month.

I still have 7 omegas. And a few million. And I have 2 unused furnaces, a droid caller, a stun gun, a cuff, one carbanti/thermal, one hypo/medipack. 8 laptops, a merr sonn generator. And a partridge in a pear tree. Ready to equip. My 4 star Rey can equip half of that. And/or I could up a gear lvl on a few of my toons. Decisions, decisions.

If you could see my bench, the gear slots are lit up like a Christmas tree. I could get my 88 to lvl 80, up to gear 10, and omega one of his skills right now. But I don't. Because I don't need to, yet. I am confortably in arena top 50, and many days I can make 20, but I often just forget to finish my fights, lol. And I don't really want to TRY to stay in top 20 for time and sanity reasons. If I can't make top 50, I might shore up some leaks.

I kinda know I have to use my first droid caller ( I finally finished earlier this week!) on GQJ. Mainly because it will be a long time before I can get a Nubian tech or scanner, and all my other toons I care about who need a droid caller also need some other raid gear, too. But I haven't used QGJ in a week. I won't use my caller on him until I actually am going to use him in a match where I think it will make a difference. But if I win the raid lottery in the meantime, I am really tempted to hell with it and gear Plo Koon, first. Yeah, that might be insane, but Plo is really fun. Well, he WOULD be really fun with 90 potency. I'm almost sure, anyway. Oh,yeah, he's only 5 star and not even partway to 6. Did I mention I might be insane?
  • Options
    Go with the deep bench. It's much more enjoyable changing teams every GW, vs using the same team over and over again. Plus with the raids, the more toons you have available, the better.
  • bologne
    141 posts Member
    Options
    It's all perspective if you can grab top 3 rewards it is going to help your bench toons. Top 3 is tough. I finally made it after 6 months. 400 to 500 extra crystals helps you deepen your bench wayyy faster. If that is too much of a struggle then play to enjoy the game. Top50 rewards are not really lucrative enough to make a difference. I'd say at rank 300 you are too far off to really start grinding an arena team to greatness