Events - Survivor-based awards system

Apologies if this has been covered before but the recent spate of events has got me thinking about an awards system that rewards degrees of success.

In solo battles we are given a star rating based on the casualties we took whilst completing the match. If we were to have something similar for events, it would recognise those that beat the challenge decisively and motivate those who beat it by the skin of their toons' teeth.

I propose something along the lines of:

No casualties: Full payout on the primary award (shards, mats... whatever the big pull is to enter). The secondary and tertiary motivators can still be randomised as usual to keep things interesting.

Casualties: -1 per casualty to a maximum of -2. In the rare cases where there is currently a single award (i.e. Omega mats) they could introduce a secondary reward and deduct from that as a penalty.

Ultimately, I wouldn't care how they go about it but I would welcome a 'challenge within a challenge' to make events where I have to work to succeed. It would reward players that have a well rounded squad and encourage one-trick ponies to build up their other toons (that aren't Rey). I understand that some builds rely on disposable toons but if losing one is recognised in other game modes, then why not add that mechanic into other modes too?

Whadya think? Pump idea? Too complex? Or would you also welcome the chance to be rewarded for storming an event in better fashion than dude you always meet in the Arena that runs Rey, RG, Fives and all the other strong solo toons?

P.S. Nothing against those players, I just prefer the fluff over the win at all costs.
Just because more people say it, doesn't make it more right.

Replies

• Options
    How about adding extra rewards if you do it with lower level characters than it is designed for?
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like a good idea for an event would be one that just goes on and on and on until your team dies, with increasing difficulty at each stage. Rewards are based on the furthest stage you reach.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    @PixieClock, I really like that idea. It puts a whole extra dimension into it and would get folks dusting off those abandoned toons from 6 months ago. Great shout.
    @NicWester, That's exactly the sort of thing I thought the recent Empire Battle event was going to be. I was disappointed to find out it was an all-or-nothing affair. With 'Hoard Modes' being so prolific in mainstream gaming, I really felt they missed a trick there. It's actually a better system than the 3-tier events we're used to.

To the devs: In only 3 posts you have 3 suggestions on how you could make things more appealing to your community. Fear not, there's money to be made so if you want to make that money, why not try engaging with your community and give them something they want, instead of endless streams of characters that effectively need to be unlocked 3 times before they become viable for the small (but lucrative) paying minority? Just a thought...
    Just because more people say it, doesn't make it more right.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    I feel like a good idea for an event would be one that just goes on and on and on until your team dies, with increasing difficulty at each stage. Rewards are based on the furthest stage you reach.

+1