Arena Tiers, Overused vs. Underused

Allenb60
2171 posts Member
It is apparent that not all characters are of equal standing, and this is best displayed by the top teams in Arena of any server, and the character usage is relative to their effectiveness. This suggestion implies an addition that would allow lesser used characters to be invested in without being at disadvantage against others in the multiplayer Arena game mode.
This can be achieved by creating separate arena tiers, in which the characters allowed are set by the percentage of teams they are found in in the standard Arena

First Class (Overused) Tier - anything goes, the current Arena with no changes

Second Class (Underused) Tier - available for anyone, meant for characters considered to underused to be ideal. Characters that are considered overused (ex: Rey, QGJ, RG) will either be banned from use or receive nerfed stats equal to their usage in first class. Updates for the most overused characters could be set on a leaderboard and would be reset similar to the guild leaderboard. Rewards for participation would be similar to first class (maybe lowered a bit)

Participation in multiple tiers would not be allowed and a payout will only be available for the tier currently participated in, switching tiers would result in the players rank and daily attempts to be reset until the next day, and should have an equal warning before doing so.
As for how this would affect gameplay it should have no effect whatsoever on the current Arena except for the possible interface changes, which shouldn't be a significant problem, but should allow players brush the dust off old characters that received resource investment but never got a chance to make use of it in the Arena.
Teams ideal for the second class would hopefully become Scoundrels, Jedi, Night Sisters, Empire, and First Order. Any feedback is encouraged and appreciated

Replies

• Kabbes
    430 posts Member
    Options
    ... and hello Smogon Pokemon rules.

It works for Smogon because they run their own Pokemon emulator. It's not official in-game. And it's never going to be official in-game here either.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kabbes wrote: »
    ... and hello Smogon Pokemon rules.

It works for Smogon because they run their own Pokemon emulator. It's not official in-game. And it's never going to be official in-game here either.

Pretty much, but worth a shot right?
  • Kevez
    148 posts Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience with smogon or anything like what you are suggesting, but I think it is interesting. My concern is that people have a tendency to copy the meta and there would still be unbalance in the "underused" tier.

I thought this thread was going to list all of the characters by tier, which would be a decent showing to the devs of who needs to be buffed.