Purpose of Potency on toons who don't apply debuff?

Prev1
Oliverwilliohelma
133 posts Member
edited June 2016
It seems that there are many toons who don't apply debuff and who have good amount of potency: Biggs Darklighter (Potency:192%), Lando Calrissian (Potency: 167%), IG-86 (Potency: 164%), Princess Leia (Potency: 150%), Kit Fisto (Potency:100%), Admiral Ackabar (Potency: 92%), Barris Offee (Potency: 80%)...etc., so I was wondering if anyone knows what the purpose of their potency is.

Replies

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    It is the same purpose as adding Special damage gear for toons with no special damage attacks. None.

I wrote a big post about it that went largely ignored.

I expected it to be fixed when they overhauled both combat and gear.

Imagine my surprise.
  • 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Barriss is for her unique ability, as well as Leia. AA needs it for tm gain on "it's a trap". But all in all, it's there to take potency away from those who really need it (FOTP Magma Tarkin)

God forbid there actually be balance in the game. I have to completely Max out Magma just to get 87%, and even then, I'm not sure it'll be good enough, considering the tenacity of some of these characters.
  • Options
    Barriss is for her unique ability, as well as Leia. AA needs it for tm gain on "it's a trap". But all in all, it's there to take potency away from those who really need it (FOTP Magma Tarkin)

God forbid there actually be balance in the game. I have to completely Max out Magma just to get 87%, and even then, I'm not sure it'll be good enough, considering the tenacity of some of these characters.

Don't forget plo koon
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My 6 man dream team from that other thread would really frustrate you:

Yoda(L), Aayla(L), Any 4 other Jedi.

Tenacity Up, +65% tenacity, +25% TM and 10% heal on resist.
  • Oliverwilliohelma
    133 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Not really? I thought applying buff doesn't need potency.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options

Potency increases the chances of applying debuffs. What debuffs do Barriss and Leia apply?

Ig-86 is the most infuriating when he takes a scanner for 40% more potency and 88 doesn't.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Barriss' unique dispels debuffs on allied Jedi, which requires potency.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Options
    Some toons have leader abilities that give the whole party the ability to add debuffs. Omega 88 is one. I think Dathcha is another. Then potency would be needed by all in the party.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    JRA wrote: »
    Some toons have leader abilities that give the whole party the ability to add debuffs. Omega 88 is one. I think Dathcha is another. Then potency would be needed by all in the party.

88's leader ability never fails when someone crits. I don't think potency has anything to do with it.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    fudgra wrote: »

88's leader ability never fails when someone crits. I don't think potency has anything to do with it.

It sticks through tenacity up?

If not, its necessary.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Timitock wrote: »

If not, its necessary.

I've never seen it fail once.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options

If not, its necessary.

Try it through tenacity up and get back to me?
  • Deadded
    67 posts Member
    Options

If not, its necessary.

it works through yodas tenacity up
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Then it is bugged.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Options
    Deadded wrote: »

If not, its necessary.

it works through yodas tenacity up
    Yes it is supposed to be subject to the potency vs tenacity math game. It makes the attempt on a crit but can be resisted. If it's hitting thru tenacity up report the bug.
  • Options

Potency increases the chances of applying debuffs. What debuffs do Barriss and Leia apply?

Ig-86 is the most infuriating when he takes a scanner for 40% more potency and 88 doesn't.

What @Timitock Said about Barriss, and Leia needs it for group crit chance up, I believe, and health restore.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

What @Timitock Said about Barriss, and Leia needs it for group crit chance up, I believe, and health restore.

The game definition of potency, "Increases the chance to apply detrimental effects to opponents".

I don't think Barriss or Leia do that. Detrimental effects are things that can be resisted by opponents.
  • Xenith
    267 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Lando also needs a scanner

And potency is chance to apply negative status effect so yeah i don t know why they do that ...

GMT ASSAJ PLO KOON TEEBO ST HAN Old ben! General viers Fives and a bunch more useless cuz of their low potency gear 8 st han and fives potency 20% this is garbage (at least st han gets 40% in gear 9 and 30% at 10) but fives needs gear 10 for 40% how COME sun fac can remve possitive status effect on basic and he has like 135% ? Prob cuz they realised that they messed up?
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options

Yeah, but Leia doesnt need it dude, buffs and heals are not subject to potency/tenacity math.

I wasnt going to correct you until you elaborated.
  • Options

Yeah, but Leia doesnt need it dude, buffs and heals are not subject to potency/tenacity math.

I was under the assumption if there was a % chance for anything to happen, potency was at play.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Options

I was under the assumption if there was a % chance for anything to happen, potency was at play.
    Potency only comes in to play when you are applying a debuff, or removing TM, or I think dispelling a buff. I might be wrong about the last one. Attacking toon's potency and defending toon's tenacity have a little conversation with RNG and like magic the results appear.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options

Not if it is a buff or heal. Those things are assumed to be beneficial and you dont want to resist them. The % are straight %.
  • Options

Not if it is a buff or heal. Those things are assumed to be beneficial and you dont want to resist them. The % are straight %.

Fair enough. I suppose I've never actually seen a buff or chance to heal, be resisted. Either it procs or it doesn't.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Yup. WAI.
  • Tomek
    327 posts Member
    Options
    This is because the level 90 comes.
    The omega II class will add debuff functionality for chars like Lando, 86, Leia ...
    Not 90 ? Maybe 100 ?
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options

Since when does removing debuffs require potency? It doesn't, which is why AA, Rex, and EE remove them 100% of the time.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    J7000 wrote: »

Since when does removing debuffs require potency? It doesn't, which is why AA, Rex, and EE remove them 100% of the time.

It doesn't. You are correct. It's only debuffs on the opponent. For an ally, it either happens or it doesn't. Barris skill doesn't check to occur and then check to pass the tenacity/potency challenge.

Potency is ONLY for applying debuffs.
  • Options
    It is the same purpose as adding Special damage gear for toons with no special damage attacks. None.

I wrote a big post about it that went largely ignored.

I expected it to be fixed when they overhauled both combat and gear.

Imagine my surprise.

Maybe
    @EA_Jesse
    @CG_JohnSalera

Have something in the works to fix this... alot of heroes have silly items like Liea with her potency or Ackbar etc etc....

I'm still expecting them to do a major overhaul in the near future... they need to stop releasing new heroes and fix the ones in..

O and b2 and Echo still suffer from the AI debuffing problem that was fixed before they were released... a programmer should sort that out asap.
  • Options
    Finally some sense, what's the point of all these toons with attacks and specials they can't use because they are completly worthless because they lack the potency. I faced a maxed plo the other day he couldn't dispell crap, and his aoe could not debuff. It's toons like that and things like expose and etc... That just won't work until they fix the root cause and that is basic principles of how these toons function.
  • Options
    Most shafted toon in the tenacity / potency department is Jawa Engineer. The poor little dude already has a basic attack that is badly designed but on top of things it can be evaded and resisted. It might get almost reliable at end game but till then you have a toon with a basic attack that does 0 damage in most cases. One thing that is really sad is that when you ever managed to get one of them detonators to blow up the life steal on the damage does not even work. But the most infuriating is during a Rancor fight with resists over resists that makes JE almost worse than Sidious. Sidious might have 0 potency he at least does physical damage with basic and special, but JE won't get any damage if unable to apply a detonator and when he manage to do so during a door phase all the charges get cleared with the rest of the debuff when the door goes away. Pathetic!