Droid Team or Meta?

deathleech
46 posts Member
edited June 2016
I know the droid team isn't as good as it use to be, but how does it compare to the current meta? I was thinking about going Poggle, IG-88/86, going after Grievous, and then having the last spot be filled by Rey, Phasma, or RG? Grievous will take awhile to level up, but in the meantime I can use Rey and Phasma until he gets there I figure.

The reason I am asking is because my RG and QGJ are pretty low right now and it's going to take forever for me to get them up (currently only 3*). Meanwhile my Poggle and IG-88 are already 7* from going GW, and my IG-88 is 5*. If this team really isn't that great, I won't even bother and will start working on QGJ, RG, and maybe Leia (now that she is in arena shipments) immediately.

Replies

• Rotor
    473 posts Member
    Options
    A more competitive team would be HK, 86, 88, JE, open. For the 5th spot some of the most popular builds and not limited to B2, 100, GG, RG, Phasma, Poogle, STH, Poe, etc.

Or 88 lead and not sure for the best build.
  • Options
    I tried a maxed 47 88 86 Poggle RG team and got battered. They aren't the answer vs meta
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Options
    I think JE is somehow must on Droid team, he gets viable at G8, 4* for Arena, not enough for top tier though.

HK (L), 86, 88, JE and RG.
  • Framer
    29 posts Member
    Options
    Running droids without je is like riding your bike with no front tire. . .
  • Options
    I tried a maxed 47 88 86 Poggle RG team and got battered. They aren't the answer vs meta

47 88 86 JE B2. Max that and Clone teams seem to be the only build that can beat it consistently.
  • Options

47 88 86 JE B2. Max that and Clone teams seem to be the only build that can beat it consistently.

This guy gets it. B2 makes me laugh at any "Meta" team. Taunts get brushed away so I can kill Rey and QGJ easily. Then it is just mop up duty. Droids are extremely viable if you build them correctly. Don't bother trying to do it unless you are going to commit.
  • deathleech
    46 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

This guy gets it. B2 makes me laugh at any "Meta" team. Taunts get brushed away so I can kill Rey and QGJ easily. Then it is just mop up duty. Droids are extremely viable if you build them correctly. Don't bother trying to do it unless you are going to commit.

The problem is I am strictly a F2P player so getting B2 isn't really viable. He is only available in the Aurodium Data Packs atm (which I have bought several of), but I don't have him yet. Even if I did he would only be 4* to start with until they add another way to get him.

Similarly going for 88 and HK on a team is going to take a long time. My HK is only 4* and I am currently working on IG-88 who is 5* now. The only way to really get either of these characters is through arena credits so I have to get one to 7* before I can start in on the other. That's going to take a long time and kind of defeats the purpose of why I was asking this question in the first place. Plus, is HK even that good? Every time I face him in the arena he seems to go down fairly easily and he doesn't really do much damage nor is his special all that amazing. Is it just for his leader ability?

Like I said, the reason I don't just go with the meta is I don't have a few key characters anywhere near leveled up. That's why I was hoping a droid team could hold me over until then. Plus I already have some decent foundation (or so I thought) for a droid team. It rains GW credits so I had Poggle and 86 at 7*. I was hoping to get 88 maxed out at 7* and work on GG at the same time. That way I would be focusing all my different credits on one character each. If the droid team I was purposing isn't very good though, it's not worth going for. I will just start in on the meta.

• Azgadil
    226 posts Member
    Options
    What level are you? What arena rank are you currently? and what are your rank goals?

As I see it. Take a bit of a bit if necessary and begin on the QCJ RG Leia and Phasma. Level up.

RG from mode 7C (if you can get to the RG node with your squad)
    QCJ with Cantina currency
    Leia Arena
    Phasma from GW
    Rey from hard nodes.

If your goals are to rank high in arena immediately then you may wish to go droids and farm JE from guild store he is playable enough at 4* gear 8/9 to get you decent in arena.

Happy farming and we can pick this up in a month. Considering investing in the $11 for the daily 100 crystals and never buy a chromium again just refresh cantina daily to get QCJ and RG faster.

I am a top ten are a pay out. Often getting top three rewards. I made my way from outside 200 to top 100 for months before I committed to arena. It's possible. It's worth it. Stay focused.

• Options
    In a nutshell, yes, HK's leader ability is the best reason to have him. What doesn't seem like much to look at gets continually better the more droids you add. It boils down to droids' biggest weaknesses: speed, health. With JE, you can get an early start but HK's ability lets you keep at a high speed.

As an example, here's how many of my games now go:

JE buffs, getting everyone else's speed up.
    IG88 fires his AoE and lands at least two crits. HK's lead Omega'd, he only needs two to have 100% turn meter.
    IG88 fires his basic.
    HK fires his AoE getting at least two crits.
    GG launches his AoE getting at least two crits.
    GG laughs, making the enemy more vulnerable.
    HK fires his basic (not sure why he doesn't fire immediately after his AoE but it always seems to out this way).
    IG100 wades in with his AoE.
    IG100 swings his basic.
    Then the enemy gets their first turn.

Sometimes there's counters in there that cause a headache. On the odd occasion the enemy might get one attack out around about the time GG goes. But generally speaking, this is how it always starts for me. It's the storm before the calm. After that I'm usually tied into trying to delete Rey, trying to finish off RG or trying to drop Daka (so she doesn't res Rey or RG). Meanwhile JE will be looking to res 88, who's always the first to go, whilst sticking detonators to Dooku/Fives/Kylo Ren.

Like someone said earlier, you have to go all-in with droids or you'll not see the benefit. I currently sit in the top 50 and have made it as high as #10 on a squad power of 30500 on account of the fact I only have two GearIX toons, JE is only 6* and GG is only 5*. I have no doubt that once I get my kit and stars up to the level my piers are at, I'll find droids are still viable.
    Just because more people say it, doesn't make it more right.
  • Options
    Azgadil wrote: »
    What level are you? What arena rank are you currently? and what are your rank goals?

I'm level 80 and as it stands I am rank 151. That's with a power rank of only 28,500 and with Rey only at 5* (about to be 6, just started using/farming her recently). I would like to get as high as feasibly possible in arena.

As I see it. Take a bit of a bit if necessary and begin on the QCJ RG Leia and Phasma. Level up.

RG from mode 7C (if you can get to the RG node with your squad)
    QCJ with Cantina currency
    Leia Arena
    Phasma from GW
    Rey from hard nodes.

If your goals are to rank high in arena immediately then you may wish to go droids and farm JE from guild store he is playable enough at 4* gear 8/9 to get you decent in arena.

That's what I was wondering. Right now my team is 7* Lumi/Phasma/Poggle/IG-86, and 5* Rey. I already have Poggle and 86 at 7* and IG-88 is at 5 so I have a pretty good start on a droid centered team. It's pretty cobbled together though and hardly a team that will break 50, let alone 100. I figured I could invest all my GW into getting Grievous, all my arena credits into 88, and then spend the rest of my energy getting the fifth character leveled up.

If HK AND 88 are both required though, that kind of defeats the purpose. I was figuring it would take another month to a month and a half to get the 86/88/Poggle/GG/5th team all to 7* (and only that long because of GG). If I add in HK and the Jawa Engineer that's easily going to double the time frame. At that point I might as well go for the superior meta that will take only slightly longer.

I have Phasma at 7*, Rey nearly 6*, and the rest (Leia, RG, QCJ) are 3*. However, their shards can all be purchased from different aspects of the game so I could be leveling them up simultaneously rather than waiting to level one character up before starting on another like with 88 and HK.

Happy farming and we can pick this up in a month. Considering investing in the $11 for the daily 100 crystals and never buy a chromium again just refresh cantina daily to get QCJ and RG faster.

I am a top ten are a pay out. Often getting top three rewards. I made my way from outside 200 to top 100 for months before I committed to arena. It's possible. It's worth it. Stay focused.

Thanks! One quick question though, what $11 for 100 crystals per day are you talking about...? I don't see that option. I just see the options to buy a certain amount of crystals one time for a set price.

• Options
    i reach between 1 - 5 rank in arena with droid team
    hk47 omega leader gear 8
    ig88 omega skill 2 g9
    ig86 full omega g9
    je g9
    stroper han or rg depens on how many taunter in your enemy squad ( if rg and st.han, rg for stun dt.han )

meta is boring, droid will be strikes back !
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ben han rey is a little better overall, because droids have weaknesses against counterattacker teams (with aayla 5s fisto, pay teams). And against clones. They also are competitive earlier. Droids will definitely lag behind until you get to lvl 80.

Droids will be able to win against enough of the meta teams to be competitive, unless you have a ton of whales on your server. And the other advantage is droids beat GW fast. So for long haul, droids will save you some GW time. Between nodes 1 and 7, enemy might get in as little as 5 or 6 total attacks.

Regarding LS/DS, droids wil easily clear DS with no need to level a healer. But LS is actually harder to clear, ATM. If you go droids, you don't clear LS for a long, long while.

I don't know how leia or cad bane or other new toons will affect thigns. But from my own experience in time, I believe you need Rey/Ben/Han or droids if you're a F2P that wants to have the best arena team.
  • Options
    Droids were always one of those side projects of mine. I buy gear not shards so no JE here.

I test my droids in GW, where I face several meta top arena teams.

Hk g9 L Omega
    86 Max Omega
    88 Max
    Poggle Max
    Poe g9

Very old standard droid team. Not even really geared great with only 3/5 Max gear. Some opponents I tested on, all 80 all G10

Rex
    Rey
    Leia
    Aayla
    Fac

Same as above but RG not Fac

Rex
    QGJ
    Rey
    RG
    Leia

Ben
    Han
    Leia
    Rey
    QGJ

Phasma
    FOTP
    Rey
    QGJ

Phasma
    Aayla
    5's
    Kit
    QGJ

The droids were able to beat every 1 of them. Barely on the last one the counters and assists were a lot for the lower HP. The 2nd last one was one of the most fun GW nodes I ever played. It was an absolute blitz of offense. It was like the OK Coral. It was a blast. It was also a first ever for me. 88 was the last character standing in the fight. The moon was blue this night my friends,lol.

On D though I've not met a droid build that could hang. The Omega HK with JE is fast, once you live through the burst they are not bad to take out.

Droids are fun to use. I love playing them. They struggle vs assist and counter especially the big HP's with it. They are solid vs the Rancor, even P4 if you time it right.

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Framer wrote: »

Maybe not. JE detonators hardly ever help much. His crit up doesn't often help either. Not on a max team. Droids can work without JE, just fine.
  • Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Framer wrote: »

Maybe not. JE detonators hardly ever help much. His crit up doesn't often help either. Not on a max team. Droids can work without JE, just fine.

I have to disagree. JE speeds up droids considerably. Sure droids can work without him but if you want to compete in high end arena, your only chance is with JE.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Have u tried?

I heard QGJ is good with droids. I finally tried it. HK L, 88, 86, QGJ, RG. It works pretty well. It defends equally well compared to my regular droid team. Maybe even better.

JE doesn't speed up droids. He just primes the pump. Then his detonators would be pretty decent, except most of the teams you go up against have a taunter. So quite often most of his detonators are wasted on a taunter that you must attack anyway. And then many of his others never go off, either. JE's crit up is practically redundant, because all of your droids will crit like mad, anyway. It is just a free Offense up against enemy QGJ. And it will only really help when enemy applies crit down, which isn't many toons.

The going first thing is big, but it's overrated. And some of the best defenders against droids.... clones use TM on crit or Ben/Han taunt. In this case, having offense up >> going first and having crit up. The idea is to do BIG damage, not a lot of faster hits. And to have a detaunter against Ben/Han can be the chance it takes to beat a good Ben/Han team.

QGJ is also simply one of the best toons in the game. Once his basic is omega'd. And his assist will usually pull a droid and do big damage plus give the droid TM. So you got 75% chance that at least one droid will act at QGJ speed. And if that droid is 86, 86 can pull another droid. So the droids are not necessarily that slow to start. RG stun is also key. And perhaps RG is more useful than JE, even, in many matchups.

All I knows is I can beat a few more teams with this setup than a regular droid setup. And it defends fine. I have never gotten higher than 10th place payout with my droid team, because it's not maxed. But I can do same with QGJ and RG, no JE. I can beat JE droid teams with this setup just fine, too.

• MalEliza
    132 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was somewhere around #10-#20 (falling back to 40-50) before JE and got #1 at my payout for weeks after I first got JE. I could beat teams, that had an 8k higher power rating (due to higher gear and JE only having 4* at the beginning). It's not that easy anymore, as more people caught up and there is higher competition for the top spots during my payout time. I sometimes get sniped or locked out of #1. But I still get #10 at least (if it goes very badly) and usually end up somewhere in the top 5.
    So I disagree with you. JE makes droids better against 90% of the top teams. He enables me to kill Rey before she attacks or someone taunts (unless she dodges two attacks). Yes, JE's detonators are useless once someone taunts but great otherwise and his revive/heal saved me more than once.
    I agree with you, that JE is less useful against Clones. But Clones are very hard to beat for droids without him, too.
    Oh, and I think crit up making the enemy's QGJ use humbling blow is a good thing as he won't be able to dispells RGs taunt afterwards.
  • Options
    JE setup gets me to #1 if i have the time at payout. With droids you can beat anything except rex leads atm. You just have to learn your damage so you don't activate rgs taunt. It isn't always the best option to start with 88's aoe for example. Your target is always to kill rey/leia in round 1. If you do this you basically won. I also go full out droids wwith 86, 88, 47 and 100. So i can beat any other droid team because my je is at max speed.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Have u tried?

I heard QGJ is good with droids. I finally tried it. HK L, 88, 86, QGJ, RG. It works pretty well. It defends equally well compared to my regular droid team. Maybe even better.

JE doesn't speed up droids. He just primes the pump. Then his detonators would be pretty decent, except most of the teams you go up against have a taunter. So quite often most of his detonators are wasted on a taunter that you must attack anyway. And then many of his others never go off, either. JE's crit up is practically redundant, because all of your droids will crit like mad, anyway. It is just a free Offense up against enemy QGJ. And it will only really help when enemy applies crit down, which isn't many toons.

The going first thing is big, but it's overrated. And some of the best defenders against droids.... clones use TM on crit or Ben/Han taunt. In this case, having offense up >> going first and having crit up. The idea is to do BIG damage, not a lot of faster hits. And to have a detaunter against Ben/Han can be the chance it takes to beat a good Ben/Han team.

QGJ is also simply one of the best toons in the game. Once his basic is omega'd. And his assist will usually pull a droid and do big damage plus give the droid TM. So you got 75% chance that at least one droid will act at QGJ speed. And if that droid is 86, 86 can pull another droid. So the droids are not necessarily that slow to start. RG stun is also key. And perhaps RG is more useful than JE, even, in many matchups.

All I knows is I can beat a few more teams with this setup than a regular droid setup. And it defends fine. I have never gotten higher than 10th place payout with my droid team, because it's not maxed. But I can do same with QGJ and RG, no JE. I can beat JE droid teams with this setup just fine, too.

Haha anybody on my shard in top 100 can beat that team. Seriously have no idea what you are arguing here. QGJ has no place in that team and JE is OP. Killing one or two toons before they act is OP. Ability blocking almost all the others before they can act is also OP.
  • Options
    Have u tried?

Yes I have tried and I run a maxed droid team besides JE at g9. I get 1st 9 out of 10 days and the tenth day I am still in top 3.

You are right that he starts them up and that's what makes him great. You downplay crit chance up. Sure droids have high crit chance already but how can it hurt to give them more crit chance to utilize that HK lead ability?

I can see some advantage to using QGJ to dispel taunts but I personally think that JE's advantages outwiegh QGJ's. I didn't even mention his ability to revive a downed droid. It doesn't get used much since he's usually first to die but then he's acting as a second taunt that keeps fire away from droids so still another positive.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    forget about the meta, droid team always viable in arena
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I also go full out droids wwith 86, 88, 47 and 100. So i can beat any other droid team because my je is at max speed.
    Against an equal (actuallly it makes higher rank than me 99% of the time) droid team using JE and Magnaguard, it doesn't matter who I put in. JE and RG. JE and Han. JE and QGJ. QGJ and RG. Or if I also use JE and Magna (at 1k lower power, overall). I can always beat the other droid team with very high reliability, even when they all get crit up and all go first. Even when one of my assassins go down, I will likely win. The lack of taunt makes this team easy to beat. And vice versa. This team easily beats me back, to be sure.

At end game, maybe damage of assassins goes up something crazy, and going first = win. So I can't speak for endgame capped teams. But I wonder how many people have capped droids already AND also have a G10 RG and G11 QGJ to test this build? At my gear level, this build is pretty solid, so far. It gives me a chance to beat some of the higher power ben han teams (which aren't particularly fast, anyway), and it still defends in my own arena.

I got used to speed being king since being brought up in the era where speed assist kills 88, and the fight is over. At my current gear and protection, this is no longer a realistic probability. In fact, what I face in arena is 90% Rey. And against this Rey team, all that matters is does Rey get to wind up and ohko my team, or not? The initial barrage doesn't hardly matter. I haven't seen a QGJ L speed assist team in my arena fights in months. My QGJ droid team is as speedy an assist team as most of my competition. In the 75% chance he pulls a droids, I have two toons acting at QGJ speed, and one of them is going to go again or pull another droid or RG. And QGJ pulling an assassin is a pretty decent assist attack, by itself.

As I speak, my weak sauce droid team with RG and QGJ has dropped to rank 27, this being PvP day. I usually in fact only get to do 2 or 3 battles before I reach my ceiling near 10, so no problem at all. I haven't started my arena, yet, and I might not even be able to do a (productive) refresh, today. This is still not a big drop. And the top insane droid team on my server at power over 36K, which is the only droid team on my shard to be able to win top spot, is currently pushed to 22. (JE and Magna). My server may have unique attributes. Just keep in mind that JE might not be untouchable at any given time on any given shard. It just might be possible that there are other viable options.

Take into account, this team probably puts a target on my back. In fact, the first time I used it, just maybe 3-4 days ago, I meant to take it out. But I forgot and left it in. I dropped.... 5 spots... in 23 hours. And in the following 2-3 days, aside from today PvP day, that hasn't changed much. I mean, I am sitting only 5 spots behind the top droid team on my server!? And the one droid team I usually "hang with" is at 37. It's a little over one hour until my (west coast) payout, and I'm starting PvP day 3 or 4 battles from my ceiling.

**finished my 5 battles, got to 8. The one loss was to a Dooku/Rey/RG team where everything went wrong, repeatedly, and it still came down to the wire. If my HK had revived, I could have won with one more hit. On the rematch, I won with all 5 standing.
    Post edited by LastJedi on