Rancor Tenacity after Topple

djlott
469 posts Member
edited June 2016
Did I miss somewhere that Rancor tenacity goes up like 2000% after topple?

I swear at the start of the battle (Teebo L, Phasma, EE, FOO, Chief C), I can land, speed down, Teebo & FOO Turn Meter reduction, Defense down, etc. all day long. As soon as I drop that door, I get 0% debuf and TMR. I tested this multiple times and same results.

Maybe this is a known fact but I'm just realizing this. For a T6, T7 raid, is this a legitimate strategy to forego the door drop to keep Rancor from getting ultra p*ssed and resisting all debuffs?

EDIT - Hey all, I'm not referring to TMR or debuffs while the door is down. That's not possible. I'm referring to after the door comes back up. Rancor seems immune to debuffs "AFTER" he's standing again.
Post edited by djlott on

Replies

• Options
    IDK

However, I just got to witness the Rancor dying (6*). Never seen that animation before.

Do you get a bonus for the being the last person battling when the Rancor finally dies?
  • mutimloh
    141 posts Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is new as well, but it seems like you can't reduce TM anymore while the door is dropped.
  • Options
    ...never been able to do TMR when door is down. That is not new. I landed a few debuffs this morning on heroic with door down so probably just poor RNG.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Yea you've never been able to reduce TM with the door down but I've always landed debuffs, today I got him with speed and defense down
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey all, sorry for not being clear. Rancor is immune to TMR while toppled. I'm referring to his tenacity going through the roof after the door comes back up and he's battling again. I can't seem to land a single debuf...EVER after the topple event has completed.
  • Options
    Did you try a battle without ever touching the door? But i agree that "sometimes" the rancor tenacity feels higher after he gets back up as if the tenacity buff while door is down never left
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Yea the rancor has 50% higher tenacity when he's not toppled
  • Options
    Yes it defiantly gets screwed after door goes down then back up, might be better off not taking door down until squad is almost dead. We call this in our guild the Gonzalo affect after he discovered this.
  • Options
    I've noticed this as well and glad I'm not the only one seeing this. Before triggering the door, Teebo, QGJ, Fives can reliably land their TM down/slow. After the rancor is toppled and the door comes back up, the first turn or two afterwards I can never land a single one. Occasionally, I see QGJ land a TM down with his basic, but Teebo/Fives are resisted what seems like 100% of the time.

I try to avoid triggering the Door for as long as possible due to this since its nearly impossible to get Slow/TM down applied after he gets up which leads the rancor to start decimating my squad.
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    Options
    Did you try a battle without ever touching the door? But i agree that "sometimes" the rancor tenacity feels higher after he gets back up as if the tenacity buff while door is down never left

No but I intend to tomorrow when my Turn Meter A team is back. I'll run a non-door test and then quit at the end to do a door down test. I did this several times today but didn't record. From what I could tell, whenever I dropped the door and rancor got back up, I had 0% on all TMR and debuff.
  • Options
    I'm landing debuffs after I used the door. Are all your heroes well geared? Potency is important.
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    Options
    Teebo is gear 10 but I don't have the nubian scanner to increase his potency to 80%. Rest of the Ewoks are Gear 9 and Foo, Phas are Gear 8.

I understand the potency issue. Just wondering why there seemed to be such a distinct difference before and after the door.
  • Options
    djlott wrote: »
    Teebo is gear 10 but I don't have the nubian scanner to increase his potency to 80%. Rest of the Ewoks are Gear 9 and Foo, Phas are Gear 8.

I understand the potency issue. Just wondering why there seemed to be such a distinct difference before and after the door.

Maybe it seems that way, because before the door drop you probably restart until you land a debuff. And after you used the door you don't restart anymore.
  • Options
    djlott wrote: »

Maybe it seems that way, because before the door drop you probably restart until you land a debuff. And after you used the door you don't restart anymore.

It is not that. From my experience I believe the Rancor tenacity is rigged to a massive increase after a door phase. Characters that could land a slow or a debuff get 100% resisted because of poor potency but the most surprising is that a fully geared QGJ tm reduction also get a resisted message almost every time. We are talking here about a toon with 240% potency.
  • Abbe_Tanaka
    19 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi.

I can confirm that lowering the door increases PERMANENTLY the Tenacity of our old ugly friend (until the current combat ends, that's it).

Of course, I already know that while the rancor is Toppled with the door, Turn Meter reductions and SOME debuffs cannot land. But even when the Topple turn ends, the door opens again, the panel goes on cooldown and the Rancor returns to normal, he is much much harder to debuff than before.

This are statistical data i gathered around this (Rancor Tier V, 7* team item level 8-10. always same chars Teebo L, Phasma, Rey, GS, Luminara).

Teebo turn meter reductions BEFORE Toppling: 364 tries / 316 success ( +- 87% success rate)
    Teebo turn meter reductions AFTER Toppling (once the Rancor frees again): 242 tries / 104 success ( +- 43% success rate)

Phasma Slow applications BEFORE Toppling: 96 tries / 64 success ( +- 67% success rate )
    Phasma Slow applications AFTER Toppling (once the Rancor frees again): 65 tries / 23 success ( +- 35% success rate )

Summary: Teebo Turn Meter reduction before dropping the door is on a 87% success rate, after dropping the door (and the rancor frees again), it lowers to 43% success rate only. The sample is not statistically big enough to be precise, but it is for being significant. Simmilar results go for Phasma Slow fusillade.

Also, all my Guild Mates have noticed similar results, and happens with any debuffing eligible character.
    Only tested on Rancor levels V and IV, though. I did not track any noticeable difference between phase II and phase III. Phase IV (lacking the door panel) results in a Rancor that is usually harder to debuff than phase II and III before Toppling, but easier to debuff than Rancor on phases II and III after Toppling. Unlike the phase II and III data, this is just speculation based on experience, didn't track data points for this.

I don't know if this is a bug,or an intended behavior, but it's a fact that it is happening.

Regards

A.
  • Options
    I don't understand this thread, lol. Do you guys read the ability descriptions in-game?

(from heroic) "As long as this unit isn't Toppled, it has +50% Tenacity"

Which means...before hitting the door, and after it goes back up again, he has +50% Tenacity. But while the door is DOWN, he doesn't get the bonus tenacity and is therefore easier to land debuffs on. So why is it surprising that it's harder to land debuffs after the door goes back up?

Personally I don't even bother trying to land speed down before dropping the door on him...when I do heroic P2 my first 2 toons to act will kill the control panel. Phasma is my leader and is third to act, so I pretty much always get it that my first action after dropping the door is Fusillade, which is easy to land speed down with (and mine isn't omega'd) once the rancor is toppled. I rarely have to restart because speed down didn't stick.
  • Hut
    39 posts Member
    Options
    int3ns1fy wrote: »
    I don't understand this thread, lol.

Clearly.
    Do you guys read the ability descriptions in-game?

They are saying that before the door drops down on him, his Tenacity is lower. Not when the door is on him. Something you may not have noticed because ...
    when I do heroic P2 my first 2 toons to act will kill the control panel.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, in T6 raids, it seemed to me that after recovering from door drop he became more resistive than before door drop. I started to not use the door drop so TMR, speed down would land constantly.
  • Chaxis
    40 posts Member
    Options
    What annoys me most is the Rancor's ability to dodge when there's a door on his head!
  • Options
    Glad someone else noticed this. I posted the following on reddit a few days ago after noticing the same issue:
    Our guild currently runs T6s. I finally got Teebo up to 40% potency a few raids ago. I used him in phase 4, and he worked pretty good. Then the next raid I used him in phases 1 and 3 and he again did pretty good, getting a good number of TM removals and netting me my best ever scores for those phases.
    Today I was attempting to use him (along with a gear 8 chewie) in phase 2, and I ran into an interesting issue. I got some turn meter reduction in before dropping the door, then dropped the door and did the usual assault, and then the door went back up. However, at this point I got absolutely no TM removal from either teebo or chewie. I thought "that was some pretty crap RNG", so retreated and I did it again. I ended up with the same results.
    So now I thought that was odd that all my RNG luck was coming in before the door drop, so I changed my strategy. The next game I dropped the door right away, got through the door down part as quick as possible, and then tried to remove TM. Once again, I got absolutely zero TM removal from teebo and chewie. I retreated and did this about 10 times total. Every single time, I got zero TM removal. SO then I went back to my original strategy for a couple of attempts. Once again, TM removal before the door worked great (teebo was removing TM on probably 60-80% of his attempts), but after the door it was 0% success. I went back and forth like this a few more times, and got the exact same result.
    In the end, I did about 15-20 matches, and TM removal was wildly succesful before the door dropped, but 0% successful after it went back up.
    IMPORTANT - before anyone misunderstands me, I am well aware that TM removal does not work while the door is down. That's not what I am talking about. I am referring to after the door goes back up and the Rancor is no longer toppled.
    So is anyone aware of any sort of bug related to this, or some game mechanic I might not be aware of? The pattern seemed way too predictable to be RNG. It only seemed to happen in phase 2. I let other guild members finish off that phase and tried the same in phase 3 and had no issues with TM removal after the door went back up. Alternatively, the issue could be related not to phase 2, but rather the lower 50% of the phase (since I played at the end of phase 2, and the beginning of phase 3).