Is Light vs. Dark too limiting?

Or...

The Problem with Hondo Ohnaka.

Hondo is one of my absolute favorite characters in the entire star wars universe. He's a shrewd, wily scoundrel with no loyalties and all the best lines. He's probably the closest character to pure neutral (although he certainly leans chaotic at times).

And frankly, I think that presents a problem with trying to add a character like him to the game. I recognize that at various times there was some pretty bad blood between him and certain Jedi generals, but taking the character as a whole, from The Clone Wars through the most recent season of Rebels, his self interest leads him to help out the "good guys" almost as often as not.

Now I realize that if he's introduced to the game he will probably be stuck with dark side alignment, but that doesn't seem fair to me. And there are probably other characters I'm not thinking of who don't clearly fall onto either side.

Would it make sense to have a true neutral alignment for some characters? You could use them for either dark or light missions, but maybe you'd be limited to one neutral per squad, or something like that.

Am I just overanalyzing this?

Replies

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Its the nature of SW games...
  • Options
    I don't think there would be enough neutral characters to make this idea relevant. You're right hondo doesn't fit on either dark or light but I think it would make more sense to label him dark side than to make a new affiliation all together.
  • Pjay
    283 posts Member
    Options
    Its a fair point, many characters would fit a neutral box in the dark/light side enviroment.
    Even bounty hunters would work for either side if the money was there (guess that makes them darkside). I have read a story where Dengar puts his own life on the line to rescue a girl (old grissled softy).
  • Options
    I don't think there would be enough neutral characters to make this idea relevant. You're right hondo doesn't fit on either dark or light but I think it would make more sense to label him dark side than to make a new affiliation all together.

All of the Nightsisters? Bounty hunters? Yeah they tend to be against the Jedi but that doesn't mean they are Dark Side.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Edit: nevermind
  • Options

All of the Nightsisters? Bounty hunters? Yeah they tend to be against the Jedi but that doesn't mean they are Dark Side.

The nightsisters use the dark side of the force for their magic, hence their dark side affiliation.
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    Options
    You could just let Honda and chars like him be both sides.
  • Options

The nightsisters use the dark side of the force for their magic, hence their dark side affiliation.

Right but they fought Dooku and the Trade Federation. They are literally the enemy of our enemy making them friends to the Jedi/Light side
  • Options
    MrGrips wrote: »
    You could just let Honda and chars like him be both sides.

I like this. I dunno if it would cause any kind of coding issues but to my layman's ears it seems like a simple solution.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options

Right but they fought Dooku and the Trade Federation. They are literally the enemy of our enemy making them friends to the Jedi/Light side

Not even close, dude...

Harnessing the Dark Side, by definition, makes them Dark Siders.

Different evil factions fight amongst themselves often... this does not make them suddenly good.

Bounty Hunters are killers for hire.
    Murder is immoral.
    Immorality is the Dark Side.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    Timitock wrote: »

Not even close, dude...

Different evil factions fight amongst themselves often... this does not make them suddenly good.

Murder is immoral.

This. And it's kinda scaring that for someone "to conveniently fight my enemies" is enough to be considered "good".
    Res non verba
  • Options
    Bounty hunters should NOT be restricted to dark side!
    Neither should most droids and scoundrels
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Bounty hunters should NOT be restricted to dark side!
    Neither should most droids and scoundrels

Then what do you propose?
  • Options

Not even close, dude...

Murder is immoral.

So
    Bora wrote: »

Not even close, dude...

Murder is immoral.

This. And it's kinda scaring that for someone "to conveniently fight my enemies" is enough to be considered "good".

So there aren't any that are purely Light Side then. Nearly all of the Jedi killed people during the Clone Wars. The Light Side is whoever fights for the peace of the Galaxy, and in the case of the Nightsisters they fought for their land and to repel invaders. They used a tool just as the Jedi use their Lightsabers. Also it wasn't specifically Dark Side energy, it was energy that the Jedi don't use normally. In fact the Sith don't use it normally either, due to the power required to use it.