Whale question about geonosian spy

Prev1
SNAKEMAN
470 posts Member
I just want to get opinions on if this toon looks like it has arena potential before I go spending to have him max. I have a max sun fac, GS, and poggle. So I'm tempted to get this guy but I'm not sure I'm impressed with his stats. What's the opinion on him?

lWSjRz1.png
IGN: RANKMAN
Line: xSNAKEMAN

Replies

• Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    Options
    Like everything in this game, Synergy will outpace everything else.

But a Full (x) team isn't a slam dunk.

Eg. Akbar lead with Leia is awesome, but add 3 more Rebels and the odds of Leia being triggered for bonus attacks hits the floor

The Spy will be a TM god, constantly attacking almost every time a Genosian lands a DeBuff. But in order for him to Rock the damage he needs to be stealthed.

Conclusion: start by looking for creative synergies

Have you already levelled up Nute for the scoundrel event ?
    Weeks of Raids, what's your Teebo look like ?
    Gamorean Guard can stack up the Debuffs for you

But the important thing here is to look for his Niche, and see if you need him to fill that space in your roster.

IMHO: The Spy would make a great Tank Killer with the Buff removal and a potential instant Damage dealer to a Tank that you are forced to stack Debuffs on ;)

Interestingly his abilities are a part of the new trend: If This, Then That; and a cool Special that you try to get to fire as often as possible (like B2)

The real trick: Staying in stealth so that his basic always triggers the Crit Chance up. Why? So he can dispel it on himself and do more damage ;)

I'm sure I overlooked something, but..... Enjoy !
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    I am not a whale....have poggle at 5* from way back when poe meta was around and we walked to school... :o ... no sun fac and GS is like lv 2.

But reading the spy details i thought...
    Oh Mylanta!
    With 88 as lead every atk is a crit (nearly) with bugs and every red dot is 70% tm on the flyspy...that spy is gonna be all over the place...plus the dispel and stuff...he sounds powerful...no no.....Lord of the Bugs....yeah if i had $ to wipe my bum with, I'd buy him, no questions.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    His special is similar to Darth Vader's except way more useful, since it would destroy taunting tanks.
    It's possible he could work well with a Ig-88 lead and the Geonosian Soldier, all Geonosians should have about a 1/3 chance to leave a DoT effect from the combined critical chance up, this should synergize well but would only leave 2 spots for tanks or supports of your choice, if you really wanted you could put Sun Fac and Poggle the Lesser in those spots, it does sound like a fun team to try.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    I am not a whale....have poggle at 5* from way back when poe meta was around and we walked to school... :o ... no sun fac and GS is like lv 2.

But reading the spy details i thought...
    Oh Mylanta!
    With 88 as lead every atk is a crit (nearly) with bugs and every red dot is 70% tm on the flyspy...that spy is gonna be all over the place...plus the dispel and stuff...he sounds powerful...no no.....Lord of the Bugs....yeah if i had $ to wipe my bum with, I'd buy him, no questions.

Aww you beat me too it, oh well, I tried
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have 7* ig88 just not geared. But it sounds like that's his most useful comp on paper.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're looking at arena though you have to consider replacement value - what would you be pulling out of your lineup to put this guy in? Dispel toons are useful vs. the meta taunters, but my concern here is he has to be stealthed for it to work - so it's a contingent dispel that you can't rely on. Me personally I don't like using chance toons that I can't somewhat reliably plan for unless I don't have a better option. In this case, you probably have a better dispel toon option if you just have good ole QGJ.

His primary synergy appears to be with SF at the moment when SF is taunting and countering a lot and stacking crit down effects..this is what would push Spy's TM unique. SF is the only Geo that has a reliable negative effect...so again for this to proc you're going to need SF to be hitting a lot, most likely on his taunt / counter. So if your SF gets dispelled early after taunting, you won't get much out of that skill as SF won't be hitting a lot. Poggle can add negative effects, but if you're running Poggle in arena now you're really sacrificing a better toon for the benefit just to buff Spy.

He's complex in his kit - so the AI especially will likely play him well below his potential because it requires multiple toons to coordinate and fire skills in an ordered and specifically timed manner. If his silent strike skill weren't dependent on being stealthed I'd like him more. I'd just be ticked if by the time I setup the appropriate neg effects / taunt or whatever and I wanted or needed to apply the debuff I couldn't actually use it. Given what's in the game now, I'd rate him about a 6.5 to maybe 7 out of 10. That's assuming you have SF though...if you don't his unique becomes almost useless and that's a big part of his value so he'd be lower than that with no SF.

EDIT: But things can change with future updates, toon releases, or buffs...so maybe one day he's really great.
  • Options
    I have max gear sun fac, GS and poggle
  • Options
    If you're looking at arena though you have to consider replacement value - what would you be pulling out of your lineup to put this guy in? Dispel toons are useful vs. the meta taunters, but my concern here is he has to be stealthed for it to work - so it's a contingent dispel that you can't rely on. Me personally I don't like using chance toons that I can't somewhat reliably plan for unless I don't have a better option. In this case, you probably have a better dispel toon option if you just have good ole QGJ.

His primary synergy appears to be with SF at the moment when SF is taunting and countering a lot and stacking crit down effects..this is what would push Spy's TM unique. SF is the only Geo that has a reliable negative effect...so again for this to proc you're going to need SF to be hitting a lot, most likely on his taunt / counter. So if your SF gets dispelled early after taunting, you won't get much out of that skill as SF won't be hitting a lot. Poggle can add negative effects, but if you're running Poggle in arena now you're really sacrificing a better toon for the benefit just to buff Spy.

He's complex in his kit - so the AI especially will likely play him well below his potential because it requires multiple toons to coordinate and fire skills in an ordered and specifically timed manner. If his silent strike skill weren't dependent on being stealthed I'd like him more. I'd just be ticked if by the time I setup the appropriate neg effects / taunt or whatever and I wanted or needed to apply the debuff I couldn't actually use it. Given what's in the game now, I'd rate him about a 6.5 to maybe 7 out of 10. That's assuming you have SF though...if you don't his unique becomes almost useless and that's a big part of his value so he'd be lower than that with no SF.

EDIT: But things can change with future updates, toon releases, or buffs...so maybe one day he's really great.

Great Post JSA,

Having SunFac dispelled would really hurt.

Add in a great Toon to prevent the enemy Debuffing your SF

Poggle can do this
    IG-88 can do this
    B2 is a fun addition for this

Regardless, it all just becomes fun for you on Offence, and weak on Defence

If you've already got all the other Toons buffed and ready

Why not give it a go ?
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Tolodine wrote: »

Great Post JSA,

Having SunFac dispelled would really hurt.

Add in a great Toon to prevent the enemy Debuffing your SF

Poggle can do this
    IG-88 can do this
    B2 is a fun addition for this

Regardless, it all just becomes fun for you on Offence, and weak on Defence

If you've already got all the other Toons buffed and ready

Why not give it a go ?

Yep there's always that approach ... just for funsies ... or because you like a certain build. I do that too. The OP just was asking for specific guidance that seemed to be more aimed at the toons utility at a meta level in arena. And you're right...ultimately it's about having fun and winning on offense which I'm sure Spy will let you do with SF - most stuff is pretty poor on defense so that almost doesn't need to be said anymore really. It's just a given.
  • Options
    Poggle lead with spy and sun fac and b2 would wreck FYI
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Poggle lead with spy and sun fac and b2 would wreck FYI

88 lead might be more interesting with all those dots giving Spy TM
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah an 88 lead will add so much just from the dots themselves not to mention the spy going nuts... i would try the 4 bugs with 88 first then look for another leader that might give an overlooked perk. Like boba maybe, or lumi even more evasion on bugs already high evasion would be kewl...and spy probably gonna get a big heal when sun fac taunts due to multi turns and debuffs adding tm.
  • Options
    So any ally can inflict a debuff and Spyware will get TO? Cuz it says "genosians allies" and the only genosian that can apply a debuff is poggle
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    If 88 is lead they will all inflict dots on crits making fly go into "superfly" mode
  • Options
    So any ally can inflict a debuff and Spyware will get TO? Cuz it says "genosians allies" and the only genosian that can apply a debuff is poggle

SF can apply a debuff. And with 88 lead when anyone crits they dot. And of course 88's debuffs.
  • SWHS
    121 posts Member
    Options
    DarthJosh wrote: »

SF can apply a debuff. And with 88 lead when anyone crits they dot. And of course 88's debuffs.

88's debuffs won't give him TM it has to be a geonosian doing it.

Do you guys think he could be viable on a team that is simply debuff heavy but not necessarily with other geo's? Was thinking about him + Dengar and Old Ben, debuffs can't be resisted after tenacity down so with Dengar you could really stack allot of them.
  • Options
    I think he will be garbage unless he ends up being Rey like damage. I always evaluate a character based on his ai first. Geo spy will likely start off by using silent strike, so he won't be steathed. So now you get 2-3 rounds of his basic (depends on his tm gain from poggle and sun fac) so by round 4 he might be stealth and you might get that sick damage you have been waiting for. To me, that seems too late for a get team.

Maybe his ai will basic until stealth. Maybe his damage is insane. If either is true he will be great, but those are big ifs. I too have maxed GS and sun fac, and love them. Poggle is almost there. You can try running those three now. I have a feeling though they aren't better then an Anakin lead clones/Jedi or even old Ben tanks/Rey.
  • Davius
    432 posts Member
    Options
    If 88 is lead they will all inflict dots on crits making fly go into "superfly" mode

And splash from the top rope

• Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    Okay ig 88 lead makes all bugs do debuffs on crits...so the fly will get 70% tm each crit (excluding 88 thats still 3 other bugs)

Also it may not be as much as vaders saber toss
    But the dmg should be massive if you have 88 lead and everyone stacking dots.
  • SWHS
    121 posts Member
    Options
    Okay ig 88 lead makes all bugs do debuffs on crits...so the fly will get 70% tm each crit (excluding 88 thats still 3 other bugs)

Also it may not be as much as vaders saber toss
    But the dmg should be massive if you have 88 lead and everyone stacking dots.

Are we sure its less than the saber toss?
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    I belive the dmg multiplier was about half vaders...dont quote me...but with increased speed from 70%tm on dots he should be far easier to "maneuver" for the killshot
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    I run droids...but this spy has me stashing $ to buy him...i think he is gonna be absolutely killer
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    Options
    I'd be inclined to bite if I had sf
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    Im hoping SF will be in 2ndary shards from aurodonium pak like he is now
  • SNAKEMAN
    470 posts Member
    Options
    Well i think I'm gonna buy until I unlock him and than auto him in a battle to see if he uses basic first before investing all the way. If he basic's first I'll max him. I think he'd be good in my Ackbar, Leia, RG , sun fac team. Rey was my 5th but if he can stealth turn 1 for 3 turns like Leia and sun fac and RG are holding it down it might work.
  • Options
    I belive the dmg multiplier was about half vaders...dont quote me...but with increased speed from 70%tm on dots he should be far easier to "maneuver" for the killshot

Half you sure? He also removes buffs and is also unavoidable.
  • Options
    Just want to take a moment and thank all the above posters for a quality thread. Valid input, thought, constructive criticism and strategy. These kinds of threads is what this forum needs more of. *tips hat*
  • Options
    he should be available for $20. Looks underwhelming on paper.
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Options
    Nute lead Leia RG SF and spy could be fun on offense
  • Halig
    92 posts Member
    Options
    His health and protection seems way too low to be viable in current arena. as his speed is low, meaning he wont go until after 90% of the current damage toons. he has be constant ability to be killed before attacking. this already happens to my Rey in arena (yesterday 3/10 fights she died before she moved and shes maxed on gear). the AI already seems to prefer low hp/protection characters first. So it seems an awful big risk for $200.

Seeing his stats has now made me reconsider spending on him. He's a sitting duck on offence and defence.

I was thinking of this for a team yesterday, however (pre teebo screw up)

Teebo lead
    Sun fac
    Geo Soldier
    Geo spy
    Rey

Teebo for stealth fun/tm gain
    sun fac for taunting and boosting spys tm with his skill set
    GS for increased crit chance, assist chance for stealth on spys basic and damage increase on assist
    rey because they have built an undropable character (bye synergy hello 20k dmg)