GW /Should/ Be Hard.

Prev13
IN_DarthJarJar
301 posts Member
edited June 2016
Dear SWGOH Devs;

There are a lot of complaints on this forum and Reddit about GW becoming too hard again.

This is just a guess, but my experience is that players asking for GW to be easier or to be nerfed have one or two high-level, high-gear, 7* teams so they can maximize their Arena rewards.

If you have one or two Level 80, Gear 8+, 7* Arena teams, along with a bench of unbuilt, low-star, low-gear toons; Yes - for those players, GW (and for that matter, Raids and certain Events) will be difficult. But, you chose to build one or two teams - GW being difficult is the consequence of your choice.

GW rewards players who build multiple teams.

For players like myself, I chose to build 5 teams. I level each member of each team sequentially - all 25 toons are around level 72, between 5-7*'s, and between Gear 7 and 8. I do well in Arena - usually ranking between 175 and 250. Not ideal, but I defeat GW every night, and am consistently top of my Guild in Raids, and can compete in almost every Event.

I use my GW, Raid and (somewhat meager) Arena rewards to level each of my 25 core toons. On average they level up one Level per week, with Shards and Gear being a 'catch as catch can' approach. And I'm perfectly content with this. Eventually my 25 toons will get to Level 80, Gear 8+, 7* - but, they'll get there more slowly, and they'll get there together.

GW (and Raids) are my favorite part of SWGOH. Not Arena. That's why I built multiple teams - I realized that the only way to consistently defeat GW each night was to take this approach.

Nerfing GW only serves to rewards players who only built one or two teams for Arena. Those players are already being rewarded - by obtaining better Arena payouts.

For those of us who have spread our resources across multiple teams, consistently defeating GW, doing well in Raids (albeit at a lower Tier), and participating in more Events is our reward.

Nerfing GW to placate or mollify players who have a one/two team strategy is not equitable.

This is my plea to the Developers to not nerf GW. Galactic Wars should be hard. Hell, make it more difficult.

Sincerely,

Rebel Bass

iN DarthJarJar | Team Instinct Δ
Post edited by BentWookiee on

Replies

• Asavanor
    197 posts Member
    Options
    If only it weren't based on arena teams but rather have the teams you face span the gamut of every character in the game. I don't mind difficult GW. I hate facing the same five or six characters in the same format over and over again. Slog fest = zero fun.
  • Options
    Actually you are wrong the ones that were complaining about gw were all the high level players and many of them were actually whales. Capable of fielding 4 or more squads in gw. The main complaint was it takes too long to complete it, because you're facing meta arena teams starting at node 3 or even 1.
    I have 25 7* heroes and was affraid to upgrade my arena team for the difficulty spike at 37k. It was just crazy that I should keep my arena power low or gw will become very tedious and slow. So I and many others like the change.
    If you want a difficult gw try and make it difficult for yourself (no hero can die, 4 man team, jedi vs dooku)
  • Options
    RebelBass, the hard GW is all about dodge teams. I have enough of them in top20 arena and i don't want to spend an hour+ hoping for good RNG to beat 'em. If the second part of gw consisted of Diverse© teams and especially leads there would be no problem in playing against maxed teams. But if i face multiple double tank dodge teams in GW I want to kill my phone.
    Ultimately, I play the game to have some fun and kill some time while waiting for smt, etc. Not to spend it feeling i'm doing chore of a job trying to complete this mas day after day again. So no pls, I don't want your hard GW. If arena is not enough for u, pls refresh it as much as you like and fight your top 5 dodge double teams over and over again.
  • Options
    Asavanor wrote: »
    If only it weren't based on arena teams but rather have the teams you face span the gamut of every character in the game. I don't mind difficult GW. I hate facing the same five or six characters in the same format over and over again. Slog fest = zero fun.

Part of this is due to the 'chasing the meta' mentality of many Arena teams. I build teams that I find fun to play, with characters from the SW universe that I like. Many players just build teams that will provide the highest rate of Arena returns.

It would be interesting if the GW algorithm tracked which toons you'd already played, and tried to avoid pitting you against teams with too many of the same toons for each battle. The meta has recently become more diverse - we're seeing dodge, assist, droid, rebel, clone and ewok teams. I'm personally seeing more diversity in GW nightly than I did back in February.

• Options
    RebelBass, the hard GW is all about dodge teams. I have enough of them in top20 arena and i don't want to spend an hour+ hoping for good RNG to beat 'em. If the second part of gw consisted of Diverse© teams and especially leads there would be no problem in playing against maxed teams. But if i face multiple double tank dodge teams in GW I want to kill my phone.
    Ultimately, I play the game to have some fun and kill some time while waiting for smt, etc. Not to spend it feeling i'm doing chore of a job trying to complete this mas day after day again. So no pls, I don't want your hard GW. If arena is not enough for u, pls refresh it as much as you like and fight your top 5 dodge double teams over and over again.

The concern about facing the same types of teams over and over in GW is legitimate. There are two ways to resolve this; 1.) The Devs could add a check to the GW algorithm to increase adversary diversity by reducing 'repeat' toons and/or leader powers for each battle; 2.) Arena players could field more diverse teams, rather than just the typical dodge teams.

• Options
    The issue today with GW isn't necessarily the difficulty - it's the distinct irregularity from what it has been previous weeks. Some had easy end-nodes, some had max geared end-nodes. Almost everyone had a high gear node 6. And I'm now up to 5 people who had the identical max geared Node 12.

This is not an intended change by CG/EA. This is a bug, likely caused by last nights server issues.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone was surprised with GW today.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    RebelBass wrote: »
    Dear SWGOH Devs;

There are a lot of complaints on this forum and Reddit about GW becoming too hard again.

This is just a guess, but my experience is that players asking for GW to be easier or to be nerfed have one or two high-level, high-gear, 7* teams so they can maximize their Arena rewards.

If you have one or two Level 80, Gear 8+, 7* Arena teams, along with a bench of unbuilt, low-star, low-gear toons; Yes - for those players, GW (and for that matter, Raids and certain Events) will be difficult. But, you chose to build one or two teams - GW being difficult is the consequence of your choice.

Nerfing GW only serves to rewards players who only built one or two teams for Arena. Those players are already being rewarded - by obtaining better Arena payouts.

For those of us who have spread our resources across multiple teams, consistently defeating GW, doing well in Raids (albeit at a lower Tier), and participating in more Events is our reward.

Nerfing GW to placate or mollify players who have a one/two team strategy is not equitable.

This is my plea to the Developers to not nerf GW. Galactic Wars should be hard. ****, make it more difficult.

Sincerely,

Rebel Bass

blah blah blah, nothing to see here except some wanna be elite trying to brag about being the best at everything.. its a GAME, if the nodes are exponentially hard its not fun.. ALL people are saying is that the GW has reverted to the way it was before, and it has.. so what you don't agree, well la di da.. YOU are only 1 person.. and GW should NOT be hard that's Arena you got them confused..

Stop whining about HOW things should be done, if people are complaining me included its for a GOOD reason, at least in this case. And your assumptions are wrong about Arena teams.. I have a top 20 team, some days I can BARELY squeak by GW node 11 / 12 and THEY are not even as hard as Arena, but the buff their stats in GW.. its CLEAR there is a problem here, so you want it to be hard lovely, go make your own game and you can be as hard as you like.
  • Options
    If you want a difficult gw try and make it difficult for yourself (no hero can die, 4 man team, jedi vs dooku)

+1
  • Options
    pac0naut wrote: »
    Everyone was surprised with GW today.

See, and my reaction to GW last night was basically the opposite of everyone else's. I was thrilled with GW last night - it was finally a challenge again, unlike the **** it's been since CG/EA nerfed it.

• darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    Options
    The problem with the old gw is that it punished endgame players with very long and monotonous game play. It took way too long and there was Zero fun in it. My gw now is a perfect mix of gear 8/9 teams up until the last two nodes where they are then full on meta teams. I still use a b-team on the eleventh node and then finish with my a-team. Perfect balance of keeping me engaged yet not too time intensive.

Unfortunately it looks like this has had a negative effect on lower level players where they find it too easy. How to balance this out for lower level players, I don't know. I can say the change for me at end game has been a much more enjoyable experience.
  • Options
    It's the same in all online games, new players vs end game content. A common comment in an MMORPG is "I'm max level and bored, what do I do now?" and the answer is "Quit or reroll" Reroll meaning start a new character and choose a different profession/class. Most mobile games do not have this option. Games like HoDA, SWGOH, only allow for limited end game. If SWGOH continues to follow suit, there will not be any new areas past 8. No additional degrees of difficulty will be added past normal/hard for the existing maps, and high end players will seem to be the focus, seemingly ignoring new players. Many mobile games seem to go this route, which would explain why they keep churning out new games instead of enhancing existing ones. They are each a revenue stream and the more streams the faster your revenue demands are answered. One dries up, set it for EOL (End of Life) and release the new one in development starting yet another new one immediately, rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    Do you want a hard GW? Here: face this squad after loosing your A team and having a B team without protection (all g9~g10 lvl 80 toons, like Leia, Rey, AA, 5s and Phasma), since you faced 4 other lvl 80 g8~10 squads before.

http://imgur.com/WXFl7Xy
  • Options
    I agree with @1AmYourFath3r ... the is great irregularity in teams you faced compared to before today. It isn't a matter of difficulty. I faced a node 12 team of all 7* g10 or 11 max gear characters (and won), a guild mate faced a node 12 team of 3*, g5 max characters. That is the issue.

As far as difficulty, I was ok both pre-and post GW update.... the issue was the time suck it became, fighting same teams over and over, as previous posters noted. I can field 5 teams of g8 and above, but GW was a burden to play, but needed for the credits. The format should be reworked, imo.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • Options
    I thought today was perfect. I had a high level meta team on 6. Then I had three maxed out teams every other fight the rest of the way. Four tough fights out of twelve is not excessively hard.

It's not as hard as it was before, where you got six or seven maxed out arena teams in a row. I haven't heard anyone say that they got that today.
  • Options
    Dear SWGOH Devs;

For players like myself, I chose to build 5 teams. I level each member of each team sequentially - all 25 toons are around level 72, between 5-7*'s, and between Gear 7 and 8. I do well in Arena - usually ranking between 175 and 250. Not ideal, but I defeat GW every night, and am consistently top of my Guild in Raids, and can compete in almost every Event.

I use my GW, Raid and (somewhat meager) Arena rewards to level each of my 25 core toons. On average they level up one Level per week, with Shards and Gear being a 'catch as catch can' approach. And I'm perfectly content with this. Eventually my 25 toons will get to Level 80, Gear 8+, 7* - but, they'll get there more slowly, and they'll get there together.

GW (and Raids) are my favorite part of SWGOH. Not Arena. That's why I built multiple teams - I realized that the only way to consistently defeat GW each night was to take this approach.

This is my plea to the Developers to not nerf GW. Galactic Wars should be hard. ****, make it more difficult.

Sincerely,

Rebel Bass

Dude, you have some brown on your nose.

I have 20 7* characters and 3-4 fully made teams. Yet I find GW to be quite difficult. This shouldn't be an issue for me. Now it takes wayyyy too long also.
  • Options
    Winterbio wrote: »
    Do you want a hard GW? Here: face this squad after loosing your A team and having a B team without protection (all g9~g10 lvl 80 toons, like Leia, Rey, AA, 5s and Phasma), since you faced 4 other lvl 80 g8~10 squads before.

I beat an almost identical team last night. But, I have Teams A, B, C, D and E. I can get through GW 1-9 with Team A. Team A is still alive - with protection, full health, and primed for special attacks - at the end of GW 9. That means, going into GW 10, 11 and 12, I still have 5 teams. If I have to sacrifice one or two teams to get through 10-12, it's not a problem.

• StarSon
    7466 posts Member
    Options
    For the most part, it's not that people want it to be easy, it's that people want it to have difficulty on par with rewards. It's stupid that at node 6 we have to face maxxed out meta teams for only 470k credits and 20 crystals. If it's hard, the rewards should match the investment.
  • Skirata
    163 posts Member
    Options
    Which team of mine do they pick for GW? The last GW team I used? Or the last Arena team?

If it's Arena, then we only have ourselves to blame, as we all use the same general Arena teams (dodge leader, DPS, DPS, RG/STH taunter, DPS/support) to chase the meta.

If it's GW, then it's usually close to the same, as most of your best characters for Arena are used for double duty as the A team in GW.

Either way, if we want diversity in GW, we need to spend the extra resources to build up at least one different, viable, Arena team, and use that instead of the meta. Otherwise, all this conversation about wanting different opponents is just wanting 'the other guy' to change, without wanting to change yourself. That's not going to happen.

If you sacrifice by having a synergistic, fun, different GW team, you'll lose ranking in Arena, because you spent all your resources elsewhere, and it's not as good as the meta. But you'll make some opponent's day, when they run into Nightsisters/Ewoks/Droids/Rebels/Empire/Scoundrels instead of the meta.

• Options
    Dude, you have some brown on your nose.

Opening a reply with an insult is childish. Keep in mind we're discussing a mobile video game, not peace in the middle east, or anything of real consequence.
    I have 20 7* characters and 3-4 fully made teams. Yet I find GW to be quite difficult. This shouldn't be an issue for me. Now it takes wayyyy too long also.

3-4 teams isn't enough, frankly. I have 5 teams, and am working on a 6th. Again, GW should be difficult. If you're finding it too difficult to defeat on a nightly basis, that is a leading indicator that you need to change your strategy.

• StarSon
    7466 posts Member
    Options
    Skirata wrote: »
    Which team of mine do they pick for GW? The last GW team I used? Or the last Arena team?

It might help if we actually knew. The devs of this game don't believe in providing information as to how anything works, though.
  • Asavanor
    197 posts Member
    Options
    Asavanor wrote: »

Part of this is due to the 'chasing the meta' mentality of many Arena teams. I build teams that I find fun to play, with characters from the SW universe that I like. Many players just build teams that will provide the highest rate of Arena returns.

It would be interesting if the GW algorithm tracked which toons you'd already played, and tried to avoid pitting you against teams with too many of the same toons for each battle. The meta has recently become more diverse - we're seeing dodge, assist, droid, rebel, clone and ewok teams. I'm personally seeing more diversity in GW nightly than I did back in February.

It is getting a bit more diverse. Balancing more characters would go a long way to creating more diversity as well.
  • Options
    darkensoul wrote: »
    Unfortunately it looks like this has had a negative effect on lower level players where they find it too easy. How to balance this out for lower level players, I don't know. I can say the change for me at end game has been a much more enjoyable experience.

No the opposite has happened for the lower levels. We are playing against teams we couldn't have at this point and have already gone through several others.

1280x720.png.89ba21ef77dd48088a7cf44149a2417b

How are you supposed to beat this with a "A Team" or "B Team" when you are a level 77 and highest gear 9.
  • Options
    @Fecaltrumpet Best. Name. Ever.
  • Options
    Just make it 5 nodes ranging from mildly difficult to very difficult. I don't mind them being challenging to complete, I just hate the time grind for minimal rewards.
  • leeroyjenkins
    136 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dear SWGOH Devs;

Sincerely,

Rebel Bass

You really seem to miss the point. I am mostly FTP, but I have 60 chars. 30 7 star chars, 3 G10, 4 G9, and 25 G8. I am normally top 5 in arena. There are whales with much better collections than me that are complaining too.

It really sounds like you never hit the ceiling where things ramp WAY up and you are facing top 10 arena teams almost every node. Given how much a toss up it is to beat one of those teams with your best squad, what are the chances you can do it 9-12 times? Do you realize how much time it takes to do that? do you think people like me just are missing some obvious solution that you have figured out?

honestly, most of us wouldn't even mind this ridiculous grind if rewards scaled As it stands, this ridiculous daily time investment for a phone game simply makes no sense for the same rewards we were getting at level 35. If they are going to have a hell mode like this, then perhaps make it separate so we can choose to slog through this on days where we have 1-2 hours to do this. I don't see it happening, so they could at least raise the rewards based on power level or whatever metric they are using to scale the difficulty

Today's was a nice change of pace yes, but it would be terrible if it was an every day grind. Starting around node 3, every single teams was full of 7 star high gear heroes and it got continually harder. Then the last node seemed to be made of those lame random allies the game offers you. It made no sense.
  • Options
    I don't care that it's hard. I care that takes too long. I don't have 5-10 minutes to spend per node.

I also care when it becomes impossible to beat because you face teams so much more powerful than you that they just wipe out your entire roster.
  • Options
    elmo0823 wrote: »
    darkensoul wrote: »

No the opposite has happened for the lower levels. We are playing against teams we couldn't have at this point and have already gone through several others.

1280x720.png.89ba21ef77dd48088a7cf44149a2417b

How are you supposed to beat this with a "A Team" or "B Team" when you are a level 77 and highest gear 9.

Again, having a "Team A" and a "Team B" isn't sufficient.

At GW 12, I typically still have 4 teams left. I'll field one or two teams to take out a specific problematic opponent in GW 12 when faced with a much higher level, higher gear enemy team. In this specific example, I would send in Team A to take out Kylo, knowing that team will likely perish. Team B to take out Sidious. Team C can then finish the match. In that example, I'll still have Team D and Team E (my Arena team) left over.

• Options
    Winterbio wrote: »

I beat an almost identical team last night. But, I have Teams A, B, C, D and E. I can get through GW 1-9 with Team A. Team A is still alive - with protection, full health, and primed for special attacks - at the end of GW 9. That means, going into GW 10, 11 and 12, I still have 5 teams. If I have to sacrifice one or two teams to get through 10-12, it's not a problem.

So, how a non-whale could do it? My A team was AA (l), Leia, QGJ, RG and Rey, all g9~10 (all gone after one Ben squad, one Dooku and one Phasma squad, all lvl 80 g8~10). My B team was Phasma, 5s, GS, STH and Baris for the heal, baris g8, rest g9. I had Dooku, yoda, Daka, Lando and Lumi, all g8 with yoda g10 and dooku g9, but all I did was kill SF and scratch Aayla. This squad i'm facing is fully geared, each one with more than 20k hp and full protection. I need at least 200k damage to beat them. And that's without the evasion from Ben.

I'm sorry, but I can't think this is acceptable for someone who cannot spend a bucketload of cash in this game.
  • Options

You really seem to miss the point.

No, I haven't. I made more point quite clearly. Did you read my post?

From what you wrote, your issue is different than mine. It makes no sense to attack my position when you're coming from a completely different, very understandable one entirely.

I am mostly FTP, but I have 60 chars. 30 7 star chars, 3 G10, 4 G9, and 25 G8. I am normally top 5 in arena. There are whales with much better collections than me that are complaining too.

It really sounds like you never hit the ceiling where things ramp WAY up and you are facing top 10 arena teams almost every node. Given how much a toss up it is to beat one of those teams with your best squad, what are the chances you can do it 9-12 times?

As you're ranked in the Top 10, and GW selects opponents based (at least, theoretically) on Arena ranking, it makes sense that you'd face extraordinarily difficult opponents in GW.

Frankly, at your rank, you'd probably have to have more than 5 or 6 teams. That sucks, but that's probably the solution.
    honestly, most of us wouldn't even mind this ridiculous grind if rewards scaled

This makes a lot of sense. I am a huge advocate of this type of scaling reward system in GW. As it stands, the rewards are quite good for lower level players; for mid-tier (such as my teams), they're just OK; for top-tier teams such as yours, GW almost isn't worth the effort.