Resisting Thermal Detonators...no

djlott
469 posts Member
edited July 2016
Look I know we are talking about a game with Jedi's, wookies and lightsabers but...if I throw a grenade at you and you "resist" it...does the grenade just go away?

Or is this like "a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it"?

Chalk this up to the same category of "you can't dodge while being stunned". Personally, thermal detonator are already difficult enough to use. JE makes a compelling case for them now but....if Greedo throws a detonator at Rancor...I just want to know ... what happens to it after he resists it.

Ok forum fans...have at it.
Post edited by djlott on

Replies

• Options
    I seriously don't know why they still count explosives as debuffs
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I seriously don't know why they still count explosives as debuffs
    Because they hate us
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ha that's true! I hadn't thought of it like that. I throw a sticky time bomb at you but Admiral Ackbar waves his hand like a Jedi, even though he's not, and the grenades disappear..

Brilliant!
  • Options
    djlott wrote: »
    Ha that's true! I hadn't thought of it like that. I throw a sticky time bomb at you but Admiral Ackbar waves his hand like a Jedi, even though he's not, and the grenades disappear..

Brilliant!
    Ackbar waves his magic finger and makes the bombs disappear! It's extraordinarily silly, I hope the detonators get reworked soon, along with many other things. It keeps toons like nute gunray and greedo from being used in arena. Greedo always shoots first though right CG?
  • Duckoo
    279 posts Member
    Options
    Those that are resisted are duds.

Those that are erased are disarmed. Voila
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    Options
    Interesting point. Call the manufacturer. I want a refund on the duds.
  • Options
    Yeah it shouldn't be resisted. Makes jawas basic even worse.
  • Striker
    198 posts Member
    Options
    Scoundrels or Jawa Eng need more potency in stats, thats can make them be unresisted. But detonators should be also non cleansable by dispel. It is non a debuff, it is timed dammage. Only evade chance like other direct atacks.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Because they can be resistant and dodged they are hard to place. This makes attacking with them very hard. I agree would be nice if they had some benefit to make them more effective.

- can't be debuffed (removed)
    - explode on a critical hit
    - not effected by potency
    - or even a detonator switch that maybe increase s damage the more turns you wait maybe the 2 it would take to get the full 100% and one extra for 25% more, but could detonate after 1 turn for less damage
    - if they can be debuffed they should count as a negative status effect, which I don't think they do currently
    - a chance debuf where they have a 50% or greater chance to explode if debuffed

There are many ways to rework them. And something really needs to be done.
  • Skirata
    163 posts Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts about Detonators.

They should be Resisted, but not Dodged. They are a negative status effect (they are Red), but they should not be treated as an attack. When Fives shoots, you Dodge the damage and Resist the Speed Down. For detonators, you should Resist, but never Dodge.

Also, detonators should do a % of (Max Protection + Maximum Hit Points), not just a % of Maximum Hit Points. Protection was designed to prevent one-turn kills, which Detonators, by virtue of blowing up after a set number of turns, never do. Their damage was never upgraded when Protection was added to the game, and it should be.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Detonators get a double whammy. It's been brought up tons of times and I've yet to see a developer respond.

JE's are supposed to explode after one turn, but it seems like at least two. Most of the time the enemy is dead before they get a chance to go off. Not only are they resisted and dodged, but it has to be a specific scenario for them to do any damage at all even if they stick.

It's a horrible design and I hope one day I'll log on here and see that it's been reworked.

@EA_Jesse @CG_JohnSalera
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    Try putting Dengar on your team if you want thermal detonator based damage, he has a synergy with scoundrels and the majority of characters that use thermal Detonators are scoundrels anyways.
    He inflicts tenacity down which makes opponents inflicted with it unable to resist thermal detonators or any other kind of de-buff.
    Did I mention he is free?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They are a negative status effect (they are Red), but they should not be treated as an attack.

Yes the color is red but I don't believe they would for example trigger a % bonus damage from 88.
  • Striker
    198 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    Try putting Dengar on your team if you want thermal detonator based damage, he has a synergy with scoundrels and the majority of characters that use thermal Detonators are scoundrels anyways.
    He inflicts tenacity down which makes opponents inflicted with it unable to resist thermal detonators or any other kind of de-buff.
    Did I mention he is free?

When I make some dark side maps today - Chuwbacca was affected by tenacy down by Dengar. But detonators from Nut was resisted. May be it was random, but seems that Dengar is not panacea.
    Skirata wrote: »
    Also, detonators should do a % of (Max Protection + Maximum Hit Points), not just a % of Maximum Hit Points. Protection was designed to prevent one-turn kills, which Detonators, by virtue of blowing up after a set number of turns, never do. Their damage was never upgraded when Protection was added to the game, and it should be.
    I'm agree with this opinion, that damage from detonators should be reconsidered.
    Scoundrel team looks to thin (very low hp), too low speed, not so big damage (like some others agressors), so they also couldnt stay alive, until they explode.
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    Options
    Jedis and sith should be inmune. Use the force to counter-granade
  • Options
    KAULI wrote: »
    Jedis and sith should be inmune. Use the force to counter-granade

And Kylo should be immune to most blaster fire as he can freeze the shot. He should also have a stun.