Theories for New Characters and Events

Tolodine
186 posts Member
I've seen a lot of threads concerning ideas for new things and threads complaining about new character brokenness and things getting boring.

Here's what we really need, aside from some obvious fixes, and the amazing new content like starships that we all KNOW are coming but are SO impatient over.....

1) More Average Characters with truly unique or synergized abilities; especially if these characters could be available through farming GW or Arena tokens. Not power characters, but Toons that you'd love to use in your daily Challenges or GW.

2) Events with Twists: Why should they all play the same with similar reward styles ? Perhaps it would be interesting to have a crossroads in an event where you have to choose which way to proceed? One path leads to reward A, one to reward B. Obviously these rewards can't be so ridiculously skewed that no one travels one of the paths... eg. Credit event is gone, training droids remains

3) Events that have a Maximum Character Level to enter, instead of a Minumum !
Most rosters I examine have 5-10 Maxed out Toons with many many other characters of varying Low Level. It would be fantastic to see an event requiring toons of maximum Level 40 Gear V, or a Level 60 Gear VII. If the events were as difficult as the Original Yoda Challenge to complete, they would be insanely fun/frustrating without requiring an insane amount of resources to undertake. The Prize ? Well... We all want JarJar, but we don't want to pay for such a useless character, regardless of how much fun it would be to have him hindering the attacks of your own team ;) How cool would it be if every time (once per event/week) when you complete it you get the next Star Level of JarJar rewarded with Credits to level him. (Just like the Yoda event) ??

4) Boba Fett !

Seriously, I have to list this because he needs work

It is just wrong that he carries that massive blaster and never fires it !

Give him a low percentage double or triple tap for a basic with low base damage but high damage variance! This would fit very well. (Using his Blaster)
Keep his Execute ability and add a 2 turn cooldown.
Slightly increase his Speed.... My goodness he's stupid slow... How does he catch anyone as a Bounty Hunter ???
Note in his description that he has Ship Synergy (Why not tease us?)

He's one of those characters that everyone loves or loves to hate. He's already hard enough to farm, and his unique ability to keep coming back is far from dangerous, just only slightly annoying if the clock is ticking ;) No one, not one of us ever shakes at the sight of him on an enemy team. (Only see him in nodes 1-3 of GW usually) This guy desperately needs a rework. Even if it's only to fix him visually (Blaster) and change his description to include Ship Synergy. This would be enough for the entire community to issue a silent, "Cool".

"Give the people what they want."

Replies

• Options
    No offense but a max level event is a bad idea. Maybe one of the worst I've ever heard in the history of ideas both inside and outside of this game. It discourages the growth and advancement of characters. You should'nt be forced to keep 5-10 characters at a level only usable in one event. Not to mention the whales who have everything fairly maxed out would be completely shut out. Unless you made a level 80 max, but at that point it would basically be the same thing. Instead of Tier V being a max of 80 it would become a de facto minimum of 71.
  • Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    Options
    Han Bolo,

Those who don't have resources to pour into Maxing more characters would be very happy

I don't think you really checked how much it costs to level a toon

The low levels are cheap !

Check your roster and count how many toons you have put credits into that are between Lvl 1 and Lvl 60, then come back and post that number for us so that we can see that you spoke out a little too fast.
  • Han_Brolo81
    518 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tolodine wrote: »
    Han Bolo,

Those who don't have resources to pour into Maxing more characters would be very happy

I don't think you really checked how much it costs to level a toon

The low levels are cheap !

Check your roster and count how many toons you have put credits into that are between Lvl 1 and Lvl 60, then come back and post that number for us so that we can see that you spoke out a little too fast.

Correct, personally I would be fine. However, I just looked at my shard rankings and the number one player has every character at level 80 and purple gear. Even though it wouldn't block me from the event, I'm not selfish and think of everybody. There are people on older shards entirely maxed out. It may be a small percentage of players, but there are still some at the endgame of endgames who would never be able to participate. Also, it still promotes a lack of growth, regardless of what you or I have. It's okay to have minimum levels because players can work towards it. You can't have a max level because players already past it can't go back. Try thinking before you speak about thinking before you speak, child.
  • Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well,

I'm sorry you are so offended and have resorted to name calling.

But even those on the oldest servers are constantly being presented with new character releases, and could easily prevent themselves from maxing out the new toons if they had foreknowledge of the upcoming event. This would hardly preclude them from participating.

In fact, they may even welcome the change to the way they do things and enjoy the challenge of NOT maxing out every character in sight.

My words are carefully considered.

There will always be an alternate point of you.

You can't please all the people, all the time.

Any of these sound familiar ?

EDIT: Doh.... I forgot a 'the' in the above :(
  • Options
    Believe me, I was the furthest thing from offended. You just don't have an argument that is fair to everyone, even if it is the large majority. The reason for that being:

Even if a new character comes out, that would leave my shard's (and probably a few other shards) #1 player(s) with just a single character to complete the event. If this was for character shards as OP suggested, they would never be able to unlock them with a single level 40 or 60 gearless character. Why should they be punished for being so good at the game and having spent so much money that they have everything tricked out? Also, if a new character comes out and is meta, why should they be forced to not level or gear them up and, in effect, not have them as a viable pvp option due to one event. Additionally, what would they do with the gear, training droids, and credits just sitting in their inventory that will never go to use? While their gear and credits don't get used now, they will when a character comes out. However, they won't if they have to keep that character below a certain threshold. Sure it may present a new challenge, but it defies the nature of the game itself. This is a forward moving game, not a standing still game.

From a developers POV:

Why should we release an event in which players have to utilize less resources and therefore spend less money on credit packs, gear from shipments, and character shards? How does that help us pay our staff and continue to develop/update the game, bring our players new content, and maintain our servers? Why would we wanna hear the max players complain that they can't play in the event?

What I previously posted isn't my my point of view, it's thought out considering the point of view of the small minority of players. This point of view is not trying to please all of the people all of the time, it's doing the opposite. It's pleasing the people who are giving this game much more money than you and I so that it can continue to operate for everyone, including the people spending little to no money. It's called acting out of more than just self interest. While I'm sorry that you disagree, you are just plain and simply wrong in this regard.