30% Offense vs 30% Critical Damage

Rebmes
376 posts Member
Why would you choose the latter over the former?

I'm missing something here. Enlighten me plz :D

Replies

• Options
    Leader abilities are just blatantly unbalanced. Go look at Vader's vs Veers'. There is no reason to go with the second.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    Leader abilities are just blatantly unbalanced. Go look at Vader's vs Veers'. There is no reason to go with the second.

@Wildcats1203
    30% crit damage with a Boba lead. Or, Hk47.

Laugh as IG88 crits for 30k.
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering about Mod set bonuses. You can get 30% offense, or 30% crit damage. There must be a reason why these numbers are equal?
  • Options
    Toukai wrote: »

@Wildcats1203
    30% crit damage with a Boba lead. Or, Hk47.

Laugh as IG88 crits for 30k.

Oh, I assumed we were talking about leader abilities not mods. Anyways, the new answer is this: pick either because you're going to destroy any team without mods and get destroyed by any whale team. Money spent now determines your success, not picking the right strategy or mods.
  • Monxie
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Rebmes wrote: »
    I'm just wondering about Mod set bonuses. You can get 30% offense, or 30% crit damage. There must be a reason why these numbers are equal?
    Why would there be a reason when nothing else makes sense?
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm neither a whale nor do I have my tail between my legs. This update makes sense in that you can customize your characters.

[rant] It's hilarious how people think you can't max out a bunch of 5* (or w/e) mods for your arena / gw team, if you're not a whale. What I've noticed is everyone, like me, just spammed Health mods, which anyone can access!! Most people, even whales, haven't bothered unlocking offense mods, or anything like that, because they used all their energy on getting some decent health mods. Nothing anyone has done so far, is out of reach! I know in a few days we'll start seeing whales with different mod bonuses, but their mods won't be any more powerful than the health mods ANYONE can get, save for giving their character stats a bit more diversity - but the rest of us will unlock all that soon enough, so who cares? [/rant]

Anyways, I just want to know how the **** 30% offense is supposed to = 30% crit damage.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just as a base.
    You deal 100 damage base, 200 crit damage.

30% offence:
    130 damage base, 260 crit damage.

30% crit damage.
    100 damage base, 260 crit damage.

One would think the 30% crit damage isn't that good. But, we dont know the direct effect of offense math. It might be worth it if the multiplier increases on a scale, so the more you stack the more you do.

I dunno *shrugs*
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Agreed, it seems pointless. Surely your base damage determines what you can potentially crit for. 30% on your base damage means that 30% increase will be reflected in ANY crit percentage.

I would guess the only purpose is for the two to be stacked together for maximum effect.
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    Options
    However, both bonuses require 4 mods; thus, you can't stack them. Also, crit damage is 150% of regular damage, and this is the number that increases by 30%, so basically it's half as effective as offense%. Which is why I think we're missing a piece of information =)
  • Options
    Crit damage isn't usually equal to base damage. It's usually a larger number.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    Agreed, it seems pointless. Surely your base damage determines what you can potentially crit for. 30% on your base damage means that 30% increase will be reflected in ANY crit percentage.

I would guess the only purpose is for the two to be stacked together for maximum effect.

@Palanthian
    I am not sure. If you think of each stat as a scale instead of a raw %, it's possible stacking multiple crit%'s gives you increased bonuses behind the scenes (again, we just don't know). If that is the case, then it might very well be worth it.

If not, I can't see why you wouldn't just take the base increase when paired with someone like Darth Vader (who also gives like 25% or whatever. Cant remember the exact number).

Meanwhile, someone like HK47/Boba, you would want to stack crit% because they already increase crit% damage.
    Boba (50% crit damage)
    100 base damage, 250 crit
    +30% crit damage
    100 base damage, 280 crit

Your crits surpass the base damage of 30% in this instance, but only on a crit. Therefore, you are relying on RNG to push you past a base damage increase.

This is actually a natural choice for most MMO's, since the chance of getting a string of crits will far out-damage a normal steady attack in a short period of time. I.E - gambling :)
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    Options
    You're sure it's not

normal
    base damage 100
    crit 150

with offense mod
    base damage 130
    crit 195

with crit damage mod
    base damage 100
    crit 180

+30% crit dmg puts critical damage at 180% on character sheet.
    I tested with a +5% offense mod, and it raises both physical and special damage by about 4.9%. Close enough.

So +% offense seems to be a lot more powerful than +% crit damage and there doesn't seem to be a catch -.-
  • Options
    Rebmes wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm neither a whale nor do I have my tail between my legs. This update makes sense in that you can customize your characters.

[rant] It's hilarious how people think you can't max out a bunch of 5* (or w/e) mods for your arena / gw team, if you're not a whale. What I've noticed is everyone, like me, just spammed Health mods, which anyone can access!! Most people, even whales, haven't bothered unlocking offense mods, or anything like that, because they used all their energy on getting some decent health mods. Nothing anyone has done so far, is out of reach! I know in a few days we'll start seeing whales with different mod bonuses, but their mods won't be any more powerful than the health mods ANYONE can get, save for giving their character stats a bit more diversity - but the rest of us will unlock all that soon enough, so who cares? [/rant]

Anyways, I just want to know how the **** 30% offense is supposed to = 30% crit damage.

I've used my energy to move towards the Mod table with speed. I've gone through the first 5. If you have resistance guys you can start getting level 5 mods from challenges after mod table 4. But I'm going for mod table with speed so I can get the jump on every one. PS, the tenacity is not to be underestimated. Beefed up my Ackabar and now Old Ben teams are a joke. Also, no mods over 2* for me and beat Old Ben, Sun Fac, Rey, B2, and Leia outfitted with level 3*-5* health and defense mods with my yet to be overpowered fully outfitted in level 15 1*-2* mods. And that was after an hour. I think the grind won't be bad. I can finish 6 and 7 later today and 8 tomorrow with enough left to refresh and go through 8 again to outfit my team. Another few runs of 8 on Friday and I think I'll be done.