The Bottom Line: Mods

Prev1
Let me start off by saying I'm a Dolphin. I normally spend in-between $50-100 a month since I joined.

I also have loved this game since I started. I didn't "nay-say" any of the updates before this. Were there flaws? Sure. Bugs? You bet. But I did feel like they were moving towards improvement.

Now Mods have hit the battlefield and here is the bottom-line: Terrible execution.

The "guide" for the Mod's is absolutely unclear. The Letter, dots, etc. Its a lot of information and no one seems to quite grasp all of it. Some of it, maybe.

Second, Mods should have been introduced in segments, not all at once. Maybe give us the whole data card, but you can only get one piece.

Third, the secondary stats are so random that it's completely RNG. This shouldn't have been the case. The secondary stats should have been more predictable. Either tell us ahead of time or each character should have had set secondary stats. Dunno.

Finally... After battling a team in Arena where Rey one-hit all my toons, I realize that +70% offense for a set bonus of mods is ridiculous. I have 5 Max gear, max level toons. Rey should not be able to do that. Sorry, stick to base stats, not % boosts.

Bottom-Line: Mods were a great idea with great design, but the execution is absolutely terrible.

Replies

• Options
    +1
  • SMan
    49 posts Member
    Options
    Great design, terrible execution...seems to be a reoccurring theme with this game.
  • strafeSS
    201 posts Member
    Options
    Yep, exactly!
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    Pretty much. I like the idea of mods. I also like how they work in general. But the actual stats themselves is incredibly poorly designed and implemented. They've made raiding completely pointless from any sort of challenge aspect (someone already solo'd T7), and have made gear largely pointless as well as comparatively the stats provided are miles apart. I expected a set bonus of being +5% or so with stats themselves either being smallish fixed numbers or smaller percentage boosts than the set bonus, but instead the values look like someone dropped a decimal point. I'm honestly very much on the fence about continuing playing.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Options
    Not a great design. A great way to force p2w. I just faced an arena team that I would have laughed at a week ago, but they were fully modded and I got wiped 5 to 4 because I only have Rey modded.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think the execution was excellent. They finally executed the game. :/

That aside, your title is 100% dead on. All that matters is mods.

Stars? Irrelevant. Gear? Irrelevant. Levels, omegas, raid gear? All irrelevant. Synergy? Irrelevant. Even the characters themselves don't matter anymore - just mod up and you'll mop up. Mod up Rey and RG and your good to go. You can solo a T7, you can place 1st in arena (well, until a whale with fully modded Rey + RG + QGJ + etc. rips you apart). Mods have made every other aspect of the game completely and totally irrelevant.

Welcome to Star Wars Galaxy of Mods.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Yudoka wrote: »
    They've made raiding completely pointless from any sort of challenge aspect (someone already solo'd T7), and have made gear largely pointless as well as comparatively the stats provided are miles apart.

This is one thing that adds fuel to the fire of Mods. New content should not turn old content completely obsolete.

All that does is make the player base feel like all their prior hard work was worthless.
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    Options
    ottomaddux wrote: »
    Not a great design. A great way to force p2w. I just faced an arena team that I would have laughed at a week ago, but they were fully modded and I got wiped 5 to 4 because I only have Rey modded.

That's the larger problem. Problem characters like Rey are just going to get worse. Someone modded their whole team, you leaned on your crutch and it couldn't cut it.

• Rizn
    246 posts Member
    Options
    I think mods are great. I'm not even dolphin status, more like minnow, but I really like them and think long term they will be great for balance and enjoyment.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    CPTRogers wrote: »
    They've made raiding completely pointless from any sort of challenge aspect (someone already solo'd T7), and have made gear largely pointless as well as comparatively the stats provided are miles apart.

This is one thing that adds fuel to the fire of Mods. New content should not turn old content completely obsolete.

All that does is make the player base feel like all their prior hard work was worthless.
    You realize that is exactly how games work normally, right? Molten Core epics were overshadowed by level 62 blue items in the level cap expansion in WoW. You may feel your work was devalued, but realize that unless you were taking #1 every day in arena, you are likely to become more competitive as a result of mods within a week or so. Gear levels being less important may feel bad, but it helps f2p and it goes a long way towards fixing some of the biggest issues this game has had.
  • Options
    Rizn wrote: »
    I think mods are great. I'm not even dolphin status, more like minnow, but I really like them and think long term they will be great for balance and enjoyment.

Maybe that's why they went this route? Does seem like some folks enjoy the update, while others don't.

The vibe is get is that most don't like the change though.
  • VeridianShakes
    1118 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I grasp all of it. It's pretty simple. What is your toon good at? What role do they play? Then you fit mods that compliment that role. But wait! What could they do better? Maybe you'd like a bit of versatility. Perhaps a bit more survival capability on top of offensive power. Well you can hybrid it out.

Like most things in the game...its RNG that rules. You get a mod, it's 5 dots...but it might not have the best stats. Perhaps as you level it some useful things unlock...perhaps not. So you gotta farm what you are looking for in main attributes.
  • Rizn
    246 posts Member
    Options
    The vibe is get is that most don't like the change though.

Look at the game as a whole, not just those on this forum. I'd guess the majority of players of this game don't come to the message board. Sure quite a few do, but honestly, I bet it's nowhere near a majority. A lot of those people are probably loving being able to do a lot more damage in their levels and can now beat things and get achievements they couldn't before. Those people are enjoying the game, maybe spending a few $ here and there for some stuff, and they make up the majority of the player base.

• Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I think the execution was excellent. They finally executed the game. :/

That aside, your title is 100% dead on. All that matters is mods.

Stars? Irrelevant. Gear? Irrelevant. Levels, omegas, raid gear? All irrelevant. Synergy? Irrelevant. Even the characters themselves don't matter anymore - just mod up and you'll mop up. Mod up Rey and RG and your good to go. You can solo a T7, you can place 1st in arena (well, until a whale with fully modded Rey + RG + QGJ + etc. rips you apart). Mods have made every other aspect of the game completely and totally irrelevant.

Welcome to Star Wars Galaxy of Mods.

+1
  • Amalthea
    691 posts Member
    Options
    hhooo wrote: »

You realize that is exactly how games work normally, right? Molten Core epics were overshadowed by level 62 blue items in the level cap expansion in WoW. You may feel your work was devalued, but realize that unless you were taking #1 every day in arena, you are likely to become more competitive as a result of mods within a week or so. Gear levels being less important may feel bad, but it helps f2p and it goes a long way towards fixing some of the biggest issues this game has had.

Yes, I agree with you more than the previous poster. But on the other hand, WoW does not have microtransactions for game-play enhancing items, so you haven't paid $$ for those MC epics that were obsolete by a few days of leveling in BC.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    Amalthea wrote: »

Yes, I agree with you more than the previous poster. But on the other hand, WoW does not have microtransactions for game-play enhancing items, so you haven't paid $$ for those MC epics that were obsolete by a few days of leveling in BC.
    This I agree with. Whales, who will lose a considerable part of their arena advantage in the coming week or two, have every right to be upset with this update. But the majority of the hate seems to be coming from f2p guys, who will be benefiting hugely if they take some time to work with the update and ride out the growing pains.
  • Options

Exactly. My reward for seven months of grinding and all the money I spent was washed away with this update. Some struck it rich with OP mods that put them ahead of me based on rng. I have no incentive to spend because of the fear I have of continued poor return. I deleted my app.

Chondrosarcoma- Chondro3150#0907
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options

But the expansion didn't happen for a few years. It also added a TON of actual content, not just that gear. This game hasn't even been out for a year and they overnight invalidated raiding that they released two months ago.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    Mods shouldn't go to level 15 and they should NOT provide such a dramatic increase in so many key stats. It's beyond ridiculous that the devs thought this was anything close to a good idea.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options

But the expansion didn't happen for a few years. It also added a TON of actual content, not just that gear. This game hasn't even been out for a year and they overnight invalidated raiding that they released two months ago.

WoW wasn't fundamentally broken and badly in need of an update like this seven months into its existence, either. This is a way to smooth over all the issues created with poorly distributed raid rewards, pre crafting, etc.

It's yet to be seen how much new content is on the way, but I'd much rather have a few weeks to prepare some teams for it, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    tRRRey wrote: »
    Mods shouldn't go to level 15 and they should NOT provide such a dramatic increase in so many key stats.

I really think if they had gone base numbers instead of percentages, the impact wouldn't have been -as- bad. But that might just be me.
  • Options
    SMan wrote: »
    Great design, terrible execution...seems to be a reoccurring theme with this game.

+1
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Options

"feel swindled" is the phrase you're looking for
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    U should never pay money into this game for anything other than temporary gratification and enjoyment. It is not an investment. If u haven't learned that by now, u haven't been paying attention.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options

Played WoW? That's happened before... so think of this update as an expansion in WoW. Now our guys are tons stronger and we can't beat old content easier. But new content will be difficult and require mods. You can't make toons better and at the same time modify all old content to be on par with the stronger toons. Just way too much work to do.
  • hoot
    53 posts Member
    Options
    +1
  • Options
    If you guys spent half as much time farming your own mods instead of raging on the forum...this thread wouldn't exist.
  • Options
    The biggest problem with mods (though far from the only problem) is that they are way too powerful. They need to literally be 80-90% less powerful. Mods should give you a slight edge, not turn your toons into unkillable superheroes.

I modded up my Arena team yesterday and didn't drop a single rank overnight. Almost all my mods are 1 or 2 star, with a few higher level from the challenges. I haven't spent any money and only used one crystal refresh. I usually sit just inside the top 50 in arena; right now I'm at 17 with one fight still left. I'm beating teams with 4-5k more power than me. And while this is great for me it totally sucks for those people who spent a lot of time or money to gear their toons.
  • Options
    If you guys spent half as much time farming your own mods instead of raging on the forum...this thread wouldn't exist.

Yeah, it took me ages to finish my abundant Cantina energy, especially with the multiple sim button. Seriously, this is what you have to say to folks who don't like the update? This thread exists because folks aren't happy as you seem to be with the update. I dunno why it matters that much to you... EA can answer/explain themselves, you know?