A simple, elegant fix to the mod issue

PushinGravity
95 posts Member
edited July 2016
So we all know that mods are incredibly broken (over - powered) as is. Yes we know a re-balance is in the works, but they don't need to reinvent the wheel to do it. Additionally, whatever the devs do, it needs to be lasting and impactful. So this is what I propose:

Reduce cantina refill cost
So the bulk of the reason this update sucks is the sheer cost of cantina refreshes, which snowballs into a credit crunch (can't buy credits), which means you can't update mods, which means you can't compete in gw (further decreasing credits), or arena (lowering crystal gain). This forces f2p to spend money to be remotely viable, and p*sses whales off bc we have already given you enough money to be the best (ripping the rug out from us, negating what we already have was a big mushroom stamp slap in the face). Not to mention we all have to choose either gimp mod production or get character shards (vice versa), which is also part of the daily for those precious omega mats.

Currently cantina refreshes are 100, 200, 400, 800, etc. Which is insane. Reduce it to 100, 100, 200, 200, 400, 800, etc. This would allow everyone to bypass the Sophie Choice of mods v cantina battles. Would allow f2p access to high tier mods without paying a dime, yet force them to pay if they really wanted to maintain high end full modded teams immediately. It would also appease whales and dolphins for ripping the floor out from under us. And we would go back to spending money as usual.

Leave mods at current power levels.
•there is no reason to rework mods if cantina refresh prices are reduced. Additionally, let's face it, when you try and fix things, you don't do a very good job. More bugs or unintended circumstances are typically created. Part of this is the inherent nature of coding, the rest...well...

Lower the price to upgrade mods.
•reduce prices on a sliding scale. Mk5 mods are down to 20,000 per X 10 from 22500, mk4 reduce by 1500 per x10, mk3 by 1000, mk2 by 500 and no change to mk1. Obviously single upgrade attempts would be reduced by 1/10th of x10 values. While 2500 does not seem like much, over an entire mod it would net about 30k savings on one maxed to level 15. Compound that over a full team of 5, for another 29 mods and that's 900k in savings, which is quite substantial. It allows f2p players to get more bang for their buck versus the current pricing.

Lower pricing in mod shop
• nothing too spectacular, a 10 to 15% price drop on credit and crystal purchased mods will go a long way.

Freebies
•throwing 1 million credits and 300 crystals at everyone would go a long way to helping too, but this is the least of the needed things

Because I know people are gonna say "but Grav this doesn't make f2p level with top end players!" You're right, it doesn't. But f2p will never be even with top end, nor should they. F2p should be able to get close, right before a new update hits, the the gap widens, then it shrinks, rinse and repeat, what this does do is lessen the burden of closing that gap without reworking an entirely new system, which let's be honest, would lead to a whole host of new problems.

A few, small easy tweaks to lessen the cost burden is all that is required, not completely revamping the entire mod system.

Btw devs, good job on QoL changes.
Post edited by PushinGravity on

Replies

• Options
    The only viable fix is removing them.
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah... To the OP...

"simple, elegant" isn't exactly CG's style. Pretty sure you lost CG - and everyone else... Truthfully, I didn't even read your post" - after that "simple, elegant" part.
  • Options
    Powda wrote: »
    Yeah... To the OP...

"simple, elegant" isn't exactly CG's style. Pretty sure you lost CG - and everyone else... Truthfully, I didn't even read your post" - after that "simple, elegant" part.

Thought provoking and helpful response....
  • Options
    You lost me when you propose a fix and said the mods shouldn't be changed b/c the devs can't be trusted fixing bobble bobble blabber gurgle blah blah yadda...
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    Options
    You lost me when you propose a fix and said the mods shouldn't be changed b/c the devs can't be trusted fixing bobble bobble blabber gurgle blah blah yadda...

Hey OP, seeing a theme here?

Your "simple, elegant" fix looks like a WALL of text, which in-and-of-itself discredits your assertion that your fix is either "simple" or "elegant".
  • Options
    Honestly, they should rollback this update provide a pretty reasonable refund on crystals and work on Mods until they are in a good and reasonable state.

On a positive note.
    1. Cody looks awesome. Unfortunately with the current state of mods individuality of a character is irrelevant.
    2. The adjustment and additions of the sim buttons are awesome
    3. Camino is a very cool map
  • Options

Your "simple, elegant" fix looks like a WALL of text, which in-and-of-itself discredits your assertion that your fix is either "simple" or "elegant".

See when you propose a solution, you need to explain said solution. Simple is not synonymous with short, simple means without unnecessary complication, in this context. And elegant implies covering multiple facets of a dynamic issue. " But if mods bad, go away mods" is more to your liking..

All I'm pointing out is changes don't need to be sweeping to alter a system people, myself included, are unhappy with.
  • eldredpe
    142 posts Member
    Options

The theme I'm seeing is that people on this board are extremely resistant to reading more than 150 words at a time.

That doesn't seem like a failing on the OP's part.

• xdecide
    114 posts Member
    Options
    This update is a complete joke as of now.
    The "Upped" rewards from GW are still a joke comparing what the mods costs in general ( cantina energy / credits )

I lost hope in this game, completely
  • pixman83
    118 posts Member
    Options
    Its the current power levels that break things. Its their overpowering strength that has caused the mod feeding frenzy, and leads to all the other assorted problems. If mods were all cut to be ~75% weaker, many of the worst problems go away. It should apply to all current mods, and all future ones as well. Something like this is the only way to rebalance the game. GW won't be as brokenly hard, arena would still has the same ftp vs ptw dynamics, and credits won't be in such a squeeze.

Yes, it might suck a bit for those who heavily invested in them. But at least they will have a playable game.
  • Options
    10 paragraphs of garbage is hardly simple and elegant - really could have condensed that into about 200 words...but you'd still be wrong lol
  • Options
    Easiest fix is to delete the app
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    eldredpe wrote: »

The theme I'm seeing is that people on this board are extremely resistant to reading more than 150 words at a time.

Kind of the same way when I ask my child to briefly tell me what happened between them and their sibling, and the "brief" explanation goes on for twenty minutes... Yup, same kinda resistance.

Words lose power when used incorrectly.
  • Options
    Don't expect it. It's likely that the game is on a downward trend and this is a kind of "last hurrah" cash grab before the game becomes unprofitable.
  • Options
    No, it is intentionally designed to allow that way so u will make mistakes and spend the limited credits we have and later realise we have no more and then will spend on crystals!

We are their beta testers!
  • Options
    Cantina energy should be 50 50 100 100 200 200.
  • Options
    I'm just curious as to why those that support the current state of Mods think they are even needed in this game. Not looking for everybody to go all "Internet tough-guy" and be nasty, just have a conversation.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Options
    I've seen newer F2P folk happy that they can use the mods to catch up with longer-term F2P and minnows. I get it.
  • eldredpe
    142 posts Member
    Options
    eldredpe wrote: »

Kind of the same way when I ask my child to briefly tell me what happened between them and their sibling, and the "brief" explanation goes on for twenty minutes... Yup, same kinda resistance.

Words lose power when used incorrectly.

I'd prefer an overly thorough answer to a reductive one.