30% offense up vs. 30% critical damage MOD SET buff

On MOD SET buffs:

30% critical damage seems to be pretty straightforward, it increases damage by 30%. but it only applies when a critical hit is well, a critical hit. assuming no other buffs in place, it would budge the damage needle from 150% to 180% every now and then.

Whereas the 30% offense up buff permanently moves the damage needle from 100% damage to 130% damage, all the time. And still get 180% crit damage!

Which means there is no reason to choose the critical damage up bonus over the offense up, ever.
Who balanced this thing? I want his job. In fact my 12 year old son can do better.

Even if you take a multiplicative approach (which would be very confusing) and buff critical damage by 30% of 150% you'd have ~ 45% extra damage around 20% of the time (bar other crit chance buffs), which is still not very good.

If those buffs are the sane, simpler, additive math, which they seem to be:

I think that the crit damage buff should be twice as much, like offense up +25%/critical damage up +50%. And even then the player would have to build a crit-worthy team to make the critical damage up bonus more effective than the offense up one.

Replies

• Options
    Yeah it doesnt add up. Crit damage should be 2 mods
  • Options
    The math isn't that simple.

Offense% is purely from the toon's base stat. If you have a +40% offense and a couple flat +700 offense mods, the percentage only applies on the base not the other mods.

Crit Damage would, however. If you have multiple offense mods, that all gets calculated before crit damage is calculated.

Base offense * (1.4) + flat mods

Or.

(Base offense + flat mods) * crit damage

But can you confirm that crit mods build up on offense mods? I recall to have read that all mods draw from character base stats, not that they draw from each other.
  • Xhere
    80 posts Member
    Options
    Ive done the math and for every 1% of crit damage would have to take on average of 3% offense dmg.

But so many factors can change my theory but keep in mind this... my average amount of times I attack (ex. Rey) in arena until I win. Around 11 turns/moves/attacks with Rey. Out of the 11 depending who my enemy is, I would hit 9 crit damage hits out of 11. The other 3 missing hits could have been evaded or missed attack or negative buff on Rey. Ok... so whats my point? In Arena... it comes down to 9 solid attacks.. it better be Big Crit Hits the kinda hits that are game changers.

Objective:MOST DAMAGE OUTPUT... by doing so...Crit hit Chance & Damage are the only Mod/Stat you should be focusing on getting for your DPS character .