Some thoughts on FTP success

As a successful but not elite FTP player (completes GW daily, top 5 or top 10 arena), I wanted to pass on some advice:

(1) of course picking the right heroes and right team is important, but picking the "perfect team" isn't vital. Having a plan and sticking to it is vital. A vanilla team (in my case, Sid, Luminara, JC, Luke and Poogle) can be successful in arena if properly leveled/geared/*ed/abilities maxed.

(2) if you're going to switch to a new team, realize that it will take quite a while before your new team is ready. Thus try (to the extent possible) to look at long term viability in constructing your new team if you do switch. (I may have made a mistake here - I've gotten on the Phasma band wagon, for good reason, but am having a few doubts about whether that was the long term right call.)

(3) cantina shipments are the slowest shipments to accumulate (roughy 3 every 2 days even with 300 crystals per day, versus 2 or even a little more arena shipments per day, versus 3 GW shipments per day), so don't screw it up. Easier said than done given the options. Daka for GW and dark side missions is a good call but only her initial 4*. Then it's pretty much Poe versus fives. Both have their good points; I went with fives as part of my Phasma team, but Poe is awesome. Don't get distracted by boba fett (as I did to the cost of 145 shards); he has his uses but for arena is just inferior to fives and Poe.

(4) as tempting as it is to get away from the standard cookie cutter teams, it's harder for FTP players to do so and remain viable. The basic options are vanilla with Poogle or Poe, droid, fast attack, or Phasma. And yeah, I know I'll get people touting other combinations, but IMO they are tougher for PTP players to put together, and/or suboptimal.

Replies

• Options
    Here's some data. It's just one server, and just the leaders, but the current top 20 arena on my server has 7 Sid led teams, 6 Phasma led teams, 4 Luminara led teams, 2 qui-gon led teams (but they are both in the top 3) and one boba fett led team.