CT-7567 "Rex"

Evelyn
14 posts Member
edited July 2016
Captain Rex is one of if not the weakest Chromium Pack character in the game. His Damage is poor, his abilities don't really match his character fantasy, and his leader skill simply doesn't compete with Fives, Jedi Knight Anakin, or Cody. He has an extremely strange kit for a Support, revolving around managing the enemy's Turn Meters. While Turn Meters are the central focus of the Clone team, and denying characters turns or accelerating their own turns to twice or thrice their opponents -- Rex feels weird as his abilities do that to the enemy team.

I might be alone in this but I feel like Subdue and Brothers in Arms just don't fit the role he plays. Granted Subdue is an extremely powerful offensive ability, it doesn't really seem to belong to a "Clone leader with a variety of abilities to support and protect Clone allies." unless of course by protecting Clone Allies he means "Killing all of the opponents before they can deal damage". I feel like he should be a healer or a (de)buffer or a protector and he isn't. I may be nuts (distinct possibility) but I think these abilities would be more suiting to his kit.

(Working Name?)(Unique)
Clone Allies gain 10% of Rex Maximum HP as Health (or Protection) at the start of Rex's Turn. If they are Overhealed (they did not gain any health or protection) by this effect they gain 25% Turn Meter in addition (or Defense Up or Offense Up or Critical Chance/Damage Up). If a clone was healed effectively by this, Rex gains Potency Up.

This is of course a maxed rank ability.

Brothers in Arms

Clone Allies gain 10/12/14/16/18/20% maximum health, and all other allies gain half that amount. In addition, whenever an ally suffers damage, all Clone Allies gain 2/4/6/8/10% Turn Meter and a 10/15/20% chance to gain Defense Up for 1/2 rounds.

These changes of course come with no change to his stats. What do you guys think?

Replies

• Jman1701
    103 posts Member
    Options
    I run a maxed out Rex quite a bit (usually with a full clone team)...I think he's extremely solid where he's at. Consider that the primary synergy trait of clones is, in fact, TM control and assist attacks. When you see how he fits in with the other clones he is very effective.

Don't underestimate how Impeding Shot, Squad discipline, and Brothers in Arms helps change the tempo of a fight. When you see how many extra basic attacks he can sometimes pull off when the full clone synergy kicks in or how often he generates clutch attacks and wards off special damage you may reconsider.

You do bring up a valid point reference the Subdue attack. It can be handy when you need to burn down RG or other tanks but most times his basic attack is actually more valuable. I would actually be ok if he dropped the attack and added a party heal on par with JC. I would use basically the same skill ' animation as the Stormtrooper Commander's green healing "grenade". Echo can do wonders to Clone survivability but they lack the burst heal that can pull you through a power hitter on the other side.
  • Evelyn
    14 posts Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I love Impeding Shot and Squad Discipline, but compared to Cody and Fives I don't feel like Brothers in Arms atm is competitve -- the turn meter is negligible for what it costs (someone to get crit) and the only part that seems useful is the extra hp which meshes with echo's By the Book, but that feels like that's all it brings to the table. Replace it or Subdue with a Burst Heal (or another regen ability) and I feel like he'll be better.

He may be a leader by rank, but he was never in a position of command in the series, he was always subordinate to Cody of Anakin in every single episode, even Ahsoka and Obi at a few points.

I look forward to maxing out my clone team, my Clone Sgt right now hit his first 4k crit today on an equilevel enemy.
  • Exarius
    102 posts Member
    Options
    Rex is totally awesome! Yeah he is a LITTLE weak for pvp, but I run him as lead for my pvp team and have held 1st in pvp with him for 2 months. Also, please note he is a beast in raids. He is part of my A team, and I solo t7 pigs with him.

The real clone disappointment is "Cody". He is a wet noodle.
  • Evelyn
    14 posts Member
    Options
    Cody's fine, but only when you put him in the Leader position because he's a glass cannon otherwise -- he gets Fives levels of Armor and Resistance when he's in that position on a full clone team, and it feels like that's the only viable place to take him. Which is fine, he's a little too strong (he's hitting 4k basics consistantly at 55, 5 star and G5) if he were any tankier.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    What on earth happening here? Rex is one the best characters in the game.