Buffs and debuffs explanations?

I am level 56 now and I feel as if I should know the meanings of them lol. Would be very greatful if someone could explain the meanings of advantage and tenacity etc. Thanks

Replies

• Hawk7915
    73 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The game is unclear about what a lot of these things really do. I'll take my best shot:

BUFFS

Advantage: Character is ignoring the target's defense/resistance to deal full damage. Disappears if duration expired or if the buffed character is hit by 2 or more attacks.

Critical Chance Up: Increases chance to crit by an unknown amount.

Critical Damage Up: Increases the damage of a crit by an unknown amount.

Defense Penetration: Ignoring a percentage of defense, usually differing per skill (some skills seem to grant 100% Defense Penetration, Old Ben is 15%, etc.). Unsure why this is different than Advantage, but such is life.

Foresight: 100% chance to dodge next attack. Disappears once used.

Evasion Up: Evasion increased by some amount. Exact amount and whether it is additive, flat number, or percentage based is all unknown. "Evasion" is a character's chance to Dodge physical attacks and "Deflect" special attacks. Characters seem capable of Dodge and Deflecting with 0 evasion, so the exact mechanics are unclear.

Defense Up: Armor and Resistance increased by some amount, decreasing damage dealt. Specific numbers unknown.

Health Up: Increases health by an amount that varies based on the specific skill. Unsure what this means, practically speaking, especially since so many "health up" skills are temporary.

Offense Up: Offense increased. Unknown by what amount, but affects both Physical and Special damage.

Potency Up: Potency increased by ??? amount. Potency makes negative status effects more likely to land, but it's unknown what that means. Is is additive (i.e., if Lumi has an 85% chance to Ability Block and 20% Potency, it's now 105%), or percentage (85% chance to Ability Block and 20% Potency becomes 102%) or something else entirely?

Retribution: Currently unique to Kylo Ren, this grants a 100% chance to counter attacks for the duration.

Speed Up: Speed increased. Unknown if it's by a percentage or a flat rate.

Stealth: This character can't be targeted by attacks. Can still be hit by AoE. If the character is the only valid target left, they can be targeted freely. Unsure how Stealth interacts with Taunt (i.e. if you are using Teebo as commander of Chewbacca or Poe).

Taunt: Only this character can be targeted by attacks. If multiple characters Taunt, targeting can be selected among all of them. If stunned, Taunt still works.

Tenacity Up: Increases Tenacity by some amount. Tenacity reduces the chances of a negative status effect hitting or sticking on you but like Potency, the mechanics are unclear. Does 45% Tenacity mean a 45% to ignore status effects? Or is it calculated like Damage versus Armor? (i.e., Dooku has a 75% chance to stun a Jedi, that Jedi has 20% Tenacity, so now it only has a 55% chance of being stunned?). This is all unclear. What is clear is that it can both prevent the status effect (Resisted is the message that pops up) and remove it early (I've seen a lot of Damage over Time that are supposed to last 3-4 turns get ended early).

Debuffs
    From the above, Offense Down, Defense Down, Evasion Down, Speed Down should all seem relatively obvious although again, exact numbers or mechanics are currently unknown. There are no characters that I know of that inflict Critical Down, Potency Down, or Tenacity Down but if they are released, effects again seem like they should be obvious.

Ability Block: Character can only use its basic ability (the leftmost ability on their action bar). Passive and Leader abilities still work.

Damage Over Time: The character is taking damage at the start of each of their turns. The damage appears to be percentage based but the exact percent is unknown to me. Also appears that the damage can't be fatal - it leaves characters at 1 HP. Finally, unlike most buffs/debuffs this one can stack seemingly infinitely. By that I mean if a character has "Offense Down" and something applies "Offense Down", it overwrites the first one. But if a character has "Ongoing Damage" and something else gives it "Ongoing Damage", it now has two instances and takes damage twice. I have seen 3 "stacks" of Ongoing Damage, but I am not sure if 3 is a cap or if I've just never been able to use a combination of characters that could do more.

Exposed: This character takes an additional amount of damage (I think it says a specific amount or percentage but can't recall. 20% maybe) from the next attack that hits them.

Healing Immunity: This character can't be healed. They can use a healing skill but it has no effect. For some healing skills the additional effects (like damage from Talia's "Draining Strike" or the Defense Up from Chewbacca's "Defiant Roar") still work but the heal just doesn't happen. For other characters, like Admiral Ackbar, it is bugged(?) and Heal Block prevents the debuff removal AND the heal.

Stun: Character can't act at all on their next turn. They are still considered to be Taunting. Unsure if they can still Counterattack.

Thermal Detonator: Does damage after the duration expires. This damage CAN be lethal, unlike DoT (or so it seems to me). Unclear how much damage it is, really, or how it scales/is calculated. Greedo's detonator **** when I allied with him, but I fought Nute Guneray in PvP and his Thermal Detonator rocked me.

Post edited by Hawk7915 on
  • Options
    Hawk7915 wrote: »
    The game is unclear about what a lot of these things really do. I'll take my best shot:

BUFFS

Advantage: Character is ignoring the target's defense/resistance to deal full damage. Disappears if duration expired or if the buffed character is hit by 2 or more attacks.

Defense Penetration: Ignoring a percentage of defense, usually differing per skill (some skills seem to grant 100% Defense Penetration, Old Ben is 15%, etc.). Unsure why this is different than Advantage, but such is life.

Evasion Up: Evasion increased by some amount. Exact amount and whether it is additive, flat number, or percentage based is all unknown. "Evasion" is a character's chance to Dodge physical attacks and "Deflect" special attacks. Characters seem capable of Dodge and Deflecting with 0 evasion, so the exact mechanics are unclear.

Defense Up: Armor and Resistance increased by some amount, decreasing damage dealt. Specific numbers unknown.

Health Up: Increases health by an amount that varies based on the specific skill. Unsure what this means, practically speaking, especially since so many "health up" skills are temporary.

Offense Up: Offense increased. Unknown by what amount, but affects both Physical and Special damage.

Potency Up: Potency increased by ??? amount. Potency makes negative status effects more likely to land, but it's unknown what that means. Is is additive (i.e., if Lumi has an 85% chance to Ability Block and 20% Potency, it's now 105%), or percentage (85% chance to Ability Block and 20% Potency becomes 102%) or something else entirely?

Retribution: Currently unique to Kylo Ren, this grants a 100% chance to counter attacks for the duration.

Stealth: This character can't be targeted by attacks. Can still be hit by AoE. If the character is the only valid target left, they can be targeted freely. Unsure how Stealth interacts with Taunt (i.e. if you are using Teebo as commander of Chewbacca or Poe).

Taunt: Only this character can be targeted by attacks. If multiple characters Taunt, targeting can be selected among all of them. If stunned, Taunt still works.

Tenacity Up: Increases Tenacity by some amount. Tenacity reduces the chances of a negative status effect hitting or sticking on you but like Potency, the mechanics are unclear. Does 45% Tenacity mean a 45% to ignore status effects? Or is it calculated like Damage versus Armor? (i.e., Dooku has a 75% chance to stun a Jedi, that Jedi has 20% Tenacity, so now it only has a 55% chance of being stunned?). This is all unclear. What is clear is that it can both prevent the status effect (Resisted is the message that pops up) and remove it early (I've seen a lot of Damage over Time that are supposed to last 3-4 turns get ended early).

Debuffs
    From the above, Offense Down, Defense Down, Evasion Down, Speed Down should all seem relatively obvious although again, exact numbers or mechanics are currently unknown. There are no characters that I know of that inflict Critical Down, Potency Down, or Tenacity Down but if they are released, effects again seem like they should be obvious.

Ability Block: Character can only use its basic ability (the leftmost ability on their action bar). Passive and Leader abilities still work.

Damage Over Time: The character is taking damage at the start of each of their turns. The damage appears to be percentage based but the exact percent is unknown to me. Also appears that the damage can't be fatal - it leaves characters at 1 HP. Finally, unlike most buffs/debuffs this one can stack seemingly infinitely. By that I mean if a character has "Offense Down" and something applies "Offense Down", it overwrites the first one. But if a character has "Ongoing Damage" and something else gives it "Ongoing Damage", it now has two instances and takes damage twice. I have seen 3 "stacks" of Ongoing Damage, but I am not sure if 3 is a cap or if I've just never been able to use a combination of characters that could do more.

Exposed: This character takes an additional amount of damage (I think it says a specific amount or percentage but can't recall. 20% maybe) from the next attack that hits them.

Healing Immunity: This character can't be healed. They can use a healing skill but it has no effect. For some healing skills the additional effects (like damage from Talia's "Draining Strike" or the Defense Up from Chewbacca's "Defiant Roar") still work but the heal just doesn't happen. For other characters, like Admiral Ackbar, it is bugged(?) and Heal Block prevents the debuff removal AND the heal.

Stun: Character can't act at all on their next turn. They are still considered to be Taunting. Unsure if they can still Counterattack.

Thermal Detonator: Does damage after the duration expires. This damage CAN be lethal, unlike DoT (or so it seems to me). Unclear how much damage it is, really, or how it scales/is calculated. Greedo's detonator **** when I allied with him, but I fought Nute Guneray in PvP and his Thermal Detonator rocked me.

When Dooku is stunned he can't counter-attack; neither can Kit Fisto.
    Great definition list!! thanks Hawk!

Known as íN Quartus Ω in the game
    Member of Team Instinct
  • Options
    Hawk7915 wrote: »

BUFFS

Debuffs

Thank you for taking the time to answer. This will help my game greatly. Cheers :blush:
  • Options
    Where is Deathmark, Stagger, Frenzy and the other new buffs and debuffs?
    1...2...3! You're dead!
  • Options
    Several of those are wrong:
    Advantage: guaranteed crit
    Crit chance and damage up both go up by 25%
    I've never seen a defence penetration buff
    Evasion up is 15% if I'm correct
    Defence up increases up 50%
    Health up is usually 15%
    Offense up is also 50%
    Potency I believe is 15% and the whole Debuff thing works as (when the Debuff is applied) chance to resist= attacker potency - defender tenacity (tenacity can never go below 15%)
    Speed up I believe is a 10% boost
    If a character taunts while stealthed the stealthed is dispelled
    Bounty hunter resolve- unqie to boba this allows him ignore taunts, revive when killed, and can't be dispelled
    Heal over time- character recovers 5% of their max health at the beginning of their turn
    Tactical genuis- only avabile via ackbar, when an ally use a special abilty they regain 30% max health and 100% turn meter
    Frenzy- unqie to Bistan whenever an ally uses an abilty Bistan gains 100% turn meter
    Protection up- gain protection equal to 20% of max health
    Critical hit immunity- user is immune to being critically hit
    Tenacity up- increases tenacity by 15%
    Debuffs
    The numbers transfer over if they exsist (ex offense down is still 50% and speed down 10%)
    Expose- target takes damage equal to 20% of their max health on top on normal attack damage
    Deathmark- target takes damage equal to 50% max health and are forced to be attacked
    Heal immunity- I believe it works for gaining protection now as well
    Stuned characters can still be taunting, can't be called to assist
    Damage over time (DoT)- target takes damage equal to 5% of their max health at the beginning of thier turn (excluding Kylo ren)
    Shock- prevents healing, buffs, and bonus turn meter
    Buff immuty- prevents gaining of positive effects
    Daze- prevents assists, bonus turn meter, and counters
    Stagger- (only apllicable through krennic) target loses 100% turn meter when damaged (taking damage dispells it)
    Ships
    Target lock- grants bonus abilities on certain ship's attacks (for example on tie fighter if he hits a target locked enemy he inflicts buff immunity)
    Valor- endurance exclusive, grants the capital ship 20% turn meter and reduces the cooldown of its ultimate abilty at the end of an allies turn
    Damage immunity- endurance exclusive, prevents all damage for one turn
    Master plan- home one exclusive, after a unit uses its abilty its cooldown(s) are reset and it gains 100% turn meter
    Thrust reversal- millienium falcon exclusive, grants 4% evasion per stack of it, loses one on damage, grants 100% turn meter per stack consumed (used without taking damage)
  • Options
    Zombie961 wrote: »
    Several of those are wrong:
    Advantage: guaranteed crit
    Crit chance and damage up both go up by 25%
    I've never seen a defence penetration buff
    Evasion up is 15% if I'm correct
    Defence up increases up 50%
    Health up is usually 15%
    Offense up is also 50%
    Potency I believe is 15% and the whole Debuff thing works as (when the Debuff is applied) chance to resist= attacker potency - defender tenacity (tenacity can never go below 15%)
    Speed up I believe is a 10% boost
    If a character taunts while stealthed the stealthed is dispelled
    Bounty hunter resolve- unqie to boba this allows him ignore taunts, revive when killed, and can't be dispelled
    Heal over time- character recovers 5% of their max health at the beginning of their turn
    Tactical genuis- only avabile via ackbar, when an ally use a special abilty they regain 30% max health and 100% turn meter
    Frenzy- unqie to Bistan whenever an ally uses an abilty Bistan gains 100% turn meter
    Protection up- gain protection equal to 20% of max health
    Critical hit immunity- user is immune to being critically hit
    Tenacity up- increases tenacity by 15%
    Debuffs
    The numbers transfer over if they exsist (ex offense down is still 50% and speed down 10%)
    Expose- target takes damage equal to 20% of their max health on top on normal attack damage
    Deathmark- target takes damage equal to 50% max health and are forced to be attacked
    Heal immunity- I believe it works for gaining protection now as well
    Stuned characters can still be taunting, can't be called to assist
    Damage over time (DoT)- target takes damage equal to 5% of their max health at the beginning of thier turn (excluding Kylo ren)
    Shock- prevents healing, buffs, and bonus turn meter
    Buff immuty- prevents gaining of positive effects
    Daze- prevents assists, bonus turn meter, and counters
    Stagger- (only apllicable through krennic) target loses 100% turn meter when damaged (taking damage dispells it)
    Ships
    Target lock- grants bonus abilities on certain ship's attacks (for example on tie fighter if he hits a target locked enemy he inflicts buff immunity)
    Valor- endurance exclusive, grants the capital ship 20% turn meter and reduces the cooldown of its ultimate abilty at the end of an allies turn
    Damage immunity- endurance exclusive, prevents all damage for one turn
    Master plan- home one exclusive, after a unit uses its abilty its cooldown(s) are reset and it gains 100% turn meter
    Thrust reversal- millienium falcon exclusive, grants 4% evasion per stack of it, loses one on damage, grants 100% turn meter per stack consumed (used without taking damage)

Defense penetration used to be Advantage, before advantage was reworked
  • Options
    What about kru's ship? His ability when he comes into battle. Can someone explain? Thank you
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    Options
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • crzydroid
    7312 posts Moderator
    Options
    Jazzy wrote: »
    What about kru's ship? His ability when he comes into battle. Can someone explain? Thank you

Try not to necro really old threads.

If you have a question about any particular buff, you can long tap the unit in game and a list of their status effects will come up with a brief explanation.
This discussion has been closed.