Think Big Picture; this is part of Agile Development.

First off I want to say that it's awesome that we get new game features and updates on a regular basis. In software development this is not an easy thing to do.

I've been a f2p swgoh player for almost a year and the vast majority of my experience has been positive.

I have no pity for the players that are upset right now because they paid to get an advantage only to find that advantage gone when the game changed to balance and improve the game dynamics. Most of the angry posts I see here are because people invested money during a volatile moment in the game. You took a risk to gain an advantage, and it didn't pay off this time.

When a software company develops features in an iterative manner they ain't always gonna get it right the first time around. Were mods poorly done the first iteration? YES. Is EA/CG course correcting as quickly as they can? So far it certainly looks like it. Are there opportunities to learn and improve from this failure? DEFINITELY. Time for a retrospective dudes. Maybe for your leadership too.

All I'm saying is judge the game based on your overall experience. And if things are volatile and you can't stomach the risk, hold off investing your money until the game is in a more stable state.

Remember it's just a game.

Replies

• YoLaWi
    89 posts Member
    Options
    Agile development shouldn't be released like this and they certainly should do a roll back.
  • Pokebreaker
    734 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There are also F2P folk who are upset because they spent their entire in-game fortune on the initial mod system. Not just people who spent real money.

I knew better and didn't go all-in, because I can smell a nerf from a mile away.
  • nachospimp7
    119 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    We need some kind of compensation definitely.

The bigger picture here is that this kind of model that Ea uses, will eventually kill the industry as a whole and we Are in the middle of it right now.

We should raise our voices as we can still do something.
  • Options
    Agile development requires intense back and forth with a customer to get it right prior to iterations.
  • danrussoa
    964 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Elbertoman wrote: »
    First off I want to say that it's awesome that we get new game features and updates on a regular basis. In software development this is not an easy thing to do.

I've been a f2p swgoh player for almost a year and the vast majority of my experience has been positive.

I have no pity for the players that are upset right now because they paid to get an advantage only to find that advantage gone when the game changed to balance and improve the game dynamics. Most of the angry posts I see here are because people invested money during a volatile moment in the game. You took a risk to gain an advantage, and it didn't pay off this time.

When a software company develops features in an iterative manner they ain't always gonna get it right the first time around. Were mods poorly done the first iteration? YES. Is EA/CG course correcting as quickly as they can? So far it certainly looks like it. Are there opportunities to learn and improve from this failure? DEFINITELY. Time for a retrospective dudes. Maybe for your leadership too.

All I'm saying is judge the game based on your overall experience. And if things are volatile and you can't stomach the risk, hold off investing your money until the game is in a more stable state.

Disagree. Those of us **** who haven't seen code since basic on an Apple II C in ninth grade just trust the "computer guys". We trust that the sellable product is sound. Just like buying something off the shelf. We don't think we are gambling when we buy a box of Golden Graham's and that they may be tweaking the recipe with this batch.........

Spending real money demands a finished product. I believe that I s a fair statement.

10 "Disagree"
    20 GOTO 10
    Run

• eldredpe
    142 posts Member
    Options
    Elbertoman wrote: »

Ehh... I get where you're coming from, but I don't think agile has any place in a production environment this mature and large. It seems a little irresponsible. Agile is a powerful tool for building and bootstrapping. This game is farther along than that.
  • Options
    They are trying to be Agile. This is a great example of when things go wrong and something gets pushed at a unsustainable cadence.

Someone pointed out that back and forth between the customer is critical. I whole heartedly agree and think this can be improved.

Understand what you are buying and the reality of the state of the game, not what you want the state of the game to be. Then you can make informed decisions with your wallets.
  • Options
    Agile almost always has a place. Especially in a game like this. It allows developers to do what they do best instead of writing strictly to something on paper that was written months ago and has no bearing on the here and now.

• eldredpe
    142 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    HokieFiend wrote: »
    Agile almost always has a place. Especially in a game like this. It allows developers to do what they do best instead of writing strictly to something on paper that was written months ago and has no bearing on the here and now.

Alright, I suppose I worded that a little poorly. Agile practices always have a place, but with a product this far into its life-cycle they should be supported by a stronger and more stable backbone.

I love agile development, btw, and have nothing but respect for iterative, human-centric design. I just think people will get justifiably mad if you treat them like your first wave guinea pigs.

I'm a big fan of this update, and I don't mind that they flubbed a few things up along the way getting it right. That's what happens when design meets reality. But let's not pretend it's all peaches and cream. The whole point of user-centric, iterative design is to put processes in place to catch these kind of screw-ups before they reach the public. This needed more polish, more research, and more work, and an agile team could have just as easily done that with test groups and through detailed analysis rather than try it out on the community.

I have to assume this is the result of unrealistic deadlines forcing updates that were unable to receive their proper due diligence.

I would categorize this more as Agile design failing, in such a way that its usually hidden mechanisms become obvious, rather than it 'working,' though.

And again, I want to stress I don't even dislike these updates that much, and think CG is handling things with about as much grace as can be expected given the circumstances.

• Options
    There you have it :)
    eldredpe wrote: »
    I just think people will get justifiably mad if you treat them like your first wave guinea pigs.

I'm a big fan of this update, and I don't mind that they flubbed a few things up along the way getting it right. That's what happens when design meets reality. But let's not pretend it's all peaches and cream. The whole point of user-centric, iterative design is to put processes in place to catch these kind of screw-ups before they reach the public. This needed more polish, more research, and more work, and an agile team could have just as easily done that with test groups and through detailed analysis rather than try it out on the community.

I have to assume this is the result of unrealistic deadlines forcing updates that were unable to receive their proper due diligence.