How to tell when Critical Chance Mod Set Bonus is better than Offense Mod Set Bonus

Prev1
StormTro0p3R_H
1643 posts Member
edited July 2016
Well, I think I've covered all but speed with these now? This one came out incredibly simply:

CriticalDamage > [2 - CriticalChance]/[1 - CriticalChance]

Notice that this will never happen, so Critical Chance is never better than Offense?

Remember all variables in their decimal form.

Also, I just used the Critical Chance Mod bonus from 2 sets, since that's 4 total mods just like the Offense Set.
Post edited by StormTro0p3R_H on

Replies

• Obs0lete
    382 posts Member
    Options
    Or to avoid negative numbers altogether
    CriticalDamage > 1/(1 - CriticalChance)
  • bologne
    141 posts Member
    Options
    Except of course for droids and gs and other toons that depend on crit to proc a skill right
  • scuba
    14068 posts Member
    Options
    Well, I think I've covered all but speed with these now? This one came out incredibly simply:

CriticalDamage > -1/(CriticalChance - 1)

Edit:

Note that there is equilibrium when CriticalDamage is 1.5 and CriticalChance is .3333. Since these involve negative numbers it's good to realize that anything LOWER than .3333 means it's better to use Critical Chance Mod Set bonus (if you have 1.5 CriticalDamage) and anything MORE than .3333 means Offense Mod Set Bonus is better (again, if your CriticalDamage is 1.5).

Also, I just used the Critical Chance Mod bonus from 2 sets, since that's 4 total mods just like the Offense Set.

Maybe I am missing something, to me if I could use crit chance mods to make my crit chance 100% (1.00) which is more than .33 (33%) than Crit Chance mods would be the way to go.
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    scuba wrote: »

Edit:

Note that there is equilibrium when CriticalDamage is 1.5 and CriticalChance is .3333. Since these involve negative numbers it's good to realize that anything LOWER than .3333 means it's better to use Critical Chance Mod Set bonus (if you have 1.5 CriticalDamage) and anything MORE than .3333 means Offense Mod Set Bonus is better (again, if your CriticalDamage is 1.5).

Maybe I am missing something, to me if I could use crit chance mods to make my crit chance 100% (1.00) which is more than .33 (33%) than Crit Chance mods would be the way to go.

@scuba

If you could make your critical chance 100% through the critical chance mod set bonus, then that means you are already at 90% critical chance. At that point it would be better to get offense boost to all of your attacks, not just another 10% chance to get crits.
    Post edited by StormTro0p3R_H on
  • scuba
    14068 posts Member
    Options
    scuba wrote: »

Edit:

@scuba

Your point is valid. I checked it out again and some stuff was needing fixed. It's accurate now.

Edit: Lol, I fixed it to be crit damage stuff. I'm working on too many at once. Checking it out again.

Thanks for sharing the info.
  • Options
    @scuba, round and round I went, I edited my first response to you and the initial post to relate the true info.
  • Options
    So here's the run down offensively with mod set:

Critical Damage Mods > Offense Mods if you have Critical Chance > .4

Offense Mods > Critical Chance Mods no matter what.

So if supplementing the other two mods, since these sets take four of them, with Critical Chance Mods, then perhaps you can be better off with Critical Damage Mods.
  • Options

So if supplementing the other two mods, since these sets take four of them, with Critical Chance Mods, then perhaps you can be better off with Critical Damage Mods.

Where is the math on offense vs crit chance?

Crit Chance set can stack 3 times (2 piece set) can only do offense set once.

Are you saying 4 pieces of offense are better than 6 pieces of crit chance?

• scuba
    14068 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I disagree. Just looking at set bonuses.
    Offense mods get you +10% offense means damage dealt is 110% of base
    However if you can get you crit chance in the 90% you will essentially be hitting at 150% of base.

Now say you are around 50% crit chance
    For simplicity that means every other hit is a crit, I know that is not how rng works
    average off 110% and 165% is 137.5% with offense set
    average off 100% and 150% is 135% with out offense set

Now let's look with primary stats. Assuming two mk5 offense 11.76% round to 12%
    average off 122% and 183% is 152. 5%. with offense set
    average off 112% and 168% is 140% with crit chance set

So on average you would be doing 152. 5% of base damage with offense set
    So on average you would be doing 140% of base damage without offense set

Not sure where the break even point would be.

Edit : woops my math was off a bit
    Post edited by scuba on
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    I'd also like to bring up the non math related point of situation... Just personally when fighting RG in arena daily I'd personally like a greater chance of crit sniping Rey out from under him, you can argue that it's better for offence to deal more damage to him or Rey but I deal enough damage as it is to deal with her, unless I miss my crit. Just an additional non min/max related point. (Also I'm biased cause my dps is clone sarge so I need all the crit chance I can get for the TM gains)
  • Xenith
    267 posts Member
    Options
    I m lost atm what should i be farming crit dmg 4 pce + 2 crit chance? = 30% increase in crit dmg and 10% increase in crit chsnce ? Or

Offence + crit chance?
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Xenith wrote: »
    I m lost atm what should i be farming crit dmg 4 pce + 2 crit chance? = 30% increase in crit dmg and 10% increase in crit chsnce ? Or

Offence + crit chance?

If you know you're going to be able to get crit chance over .4, which with .05 from the set bonus and other bonuses you likely can with a lot of characters, crit damage is better.

@scuba , I get your idea but it doesnt work quite like you're saying. Somethings up with how your numbers are computed.
  • Options
    (1+OffenseBonus)(1-CriticalChance) + (1+OffenseBonus)(CriticalChance)(CriticalDamage)

Thats the damage multiplier. You can goof with it to verify.
  • Options

Offence + crit chance?

If you know you're going to be able to get crit chance over .4, which with .05 from the set bonus and other bonuses you likely can with a lot of characters, crit damage is better.

@scuba , I get your idea but it doesnt work quite like you're saying. Somethings up with how your numbers are computed.

Remember the crit set bonus is .15, not .05, if you complete it three times. This is why saying offense>crit chance always is highly misleading.
  • scuba
    14068 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Offence + crit chance?

Found my math mistake and corrected it. However that is only for around the 50% range that offense set is better. If you can use crit chance sets to get close to 100% crit chance than that is a better set than offense set.
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Reviving an old thread, but for those of us who are nowhere near close to opening offense, what's better for a character who is below .4 crit chance? 4 Crit Damage + 2 crit chance? or just 6 crit chance?
    Post edited by 7AnimalMother on
  • Options
    Your simplification has an error under guarantee. Just try *simple* values and calculate for yourself:

Basedamage: 1, you add 4 DamageMods, 2 CriticalChance and have a base CriticalChance of 50% and only 150% critical damage , your average damage will result in:

1.1 * (1-0.55) + 1.1*1.5*0.55 = 1.4025

Basedamage: 1, you add 4 CriticalDamageMods, 2 CriticalChance and have a base CriticalChance of 50% and a total of 180% critical damage , your average damage will result in:

1 * (1-0.55) + 1*1.8 *0.55 = 1.44

In this simple case CriticalDamageMods are (on average) better than DamageMods.

Rough hint: CriticalChance without Mods lower than 0.4 then go for DamageMods, otherwise CriticalDamageMods.
  • Options
    i was always under the impression that for damage dealers, the best set up is 4 crit damage mods + 2 crit chance mods
    323 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @LordStyling
    It is in most cases. Especially if your team has a crit dam bonus unique ability like HK. I was able to play around with it and 1 shot Rex for almost 30k on a top 3 team. I've heard the breaking point is less than 49% crit chance=do for offense, more than 49%= go for crit damage. That's assuming you aren't relying on a character to crit, then human factor comes into play.
    BTW: I wouldn't mess with crit chance on a character that has over 75% crit chance. Other mods can be utilized at that point.
  • Options
    777 wrote: »
    @LordStyling
    It is in most cases. Especially if your team has a crit dam bonus unique ability like HK. I was able to play around with it and 1 shot Rex for almost 30k on a top 3 team. I've heard the breaking point is less than 49% crit chance=do for offense, more than 49%= go for crit damage. That's assuming you aren't relying on a character to crit, then human factor comes into play.
    BTW: I wouldn't mess with crit chance on a character that has over 75% crit chance. Other mods can be utilized at that point.

@777 yeah makes sense

I will be completing crit damage mod challenge within the next day or two.

So I've farmed offense mods and crit chance mods. So I can't speak from experience.

• Options
    777 wrote: »
    I've heard the breaking point is less than 49% crit chance=do for offense, more than 49%= go for crit damage. That's assuming you aren't relying on a character to crit, then human factor comes into play.

Well I may be wrong, but isn't the highest base crit chance raid Han @ ~ 50%? There are no characters over 75% to my knowledge.

Also, I was under the impression that the brake even was 40% crit chance. More than 40% put on crit damage otherwise offense.

My question is for those of us who don't have FO Toons.

What do you do with non-tank characters that are in the 20-30% crit chance range and don't have offense mods available? Do you still put on 4 crit damage and 2 crit chance? Or do you go all in on crit chance?

Or are maybe health/speed better choices? Think of someone like QGJ or IDG modded for arena (as opposed to raid where you are slapping on a potency mod or two).

• Options
    There was another thread on Chance vs Damage mods. Basically the ruling is if your 5s has 50% crit chance damage will equal higher output. If not (as is the case) crit chance will gain more dmg over the encounter on average. 50% seems to be the breaking point. In practicality since no one comes that high I'd say 40% but that is practicality vs math.

On a side note characters who benafit from effect on crit should be built as much crit chance as possible imo instead of min maxing dmg. Example my Aayla was 87% crit chance and not dmg due to stun. I built clone sarge the same way cause even though I could make his crits harder I'd prefer the TM gain more often
  • Options

Offence + crit chance?

Offence + crit chance?

I ended up giving like 5-10% crit chance from secondary speed stat got my droids set bonus for crit dmg + 30% and added a triangle mod that gives + 26% crit dmg 5* crit dmg mod .! And the other 2 is health atm

So i think i accomplished a well balanced high dmg char :)
  • Options
    The problem with the logic of the original assertion is that crit chance mods have excellent synergies with characters who have high crit damage but low crit chance. If a character has tons of crit damage but can't ever use it, then obviously you would want to equip them with crit chance. On the other hand, if they already have high crit chance but low crit damage, you want the crit damage mods instead.

It is a fallacy to assume that one must choose between either crit chance or crit damage. Builds that excel will have both, and lots of other stats too.
  • Options
    Grraauuggh wrote: »
    The problem with the logic of the original assertion is that crit chance mods have excellent synergies with characters who have high crit damage but low crit chance. If a character has tons of crit damage but can't ever use it, then obviously you would want to equip them with crit chance. On the other hand, if they already have high crit chance but low crit damage, you want the crit damage mods instead.

It is a fallacy to assume that one must choose between either crit chance or crit damage. Builds that excel will have both, and lots of other stats too.

Crit chance can be found as secondary stats. Crit damage cannot.

/thread
  • Options
    Just in case people are getting confused about this, these were comparison of SET bonuses. Not which attribute was "best:" which SET was best.

Critical damage SET and a critical chance set with offense/speed/critical chance SECONDARY are generically the best offensive combination.
  • Options

Hey @StormTro0p3R_H : I am not sure if I could agree with your results, as I think you are messing up the crit chance of normal attacks with the crit chance of special attacks. And in that case almost NONE of the characters in the game can get easily beyond .4 ! Actually I don't even care about the crit chance of my normal attacks, as my special attacks are the ones which do the most damage. If it´s Biggs´ assist attack, Rey´s flurry, or Lando´s/Wedge´s AOE. They are the one making lots of damage.

Which, in return, means that Offense Set > Crit. Damage set. Otherwise why would Wedge be the preferred leader with his 30% offense up while Lando´s is giving 29% Crit. Damage Up ? Following your logic, there only can be Lando as lead as almost all chars anyway have more then .4 Crit Chance.

DonHaensl

• Options
    What do you do with non-tank characters that are in the 20-30% crit chance range and don't have offense mods available? Do you still put on 4 crit damage and 2 crit chance? Or do you go all in on crit chance?
    Health or potency mods. Get your offense on the cross and/or arrow primaries, if you afford it. But I usually reserve this for dps tanks. Support toons often need protection and/or speed.
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DonHaensl wrote: »

Hey @StormTro0p3R_H : I am not sure if I could agree with your results, as I think you are messing up the crit chance of normal attacks with the crit chance of special attacks. And in that case almost NONE of the characters in the game can get easily beyond .4 ! Actually I don't even care about the crit chance of my normal attacks, as my special attacks are the ones which do the most damage. If it´s Biggs´ assist attack, Rey´s flurry, or Lando´s/Wedge´s AOE. They are the one making lots of damage.

Which, in return, means that Offense Set > Crit. Damage set. Otherwise why would Wedge be the preferred leader with his 30% offense up while Lando´s is giving 29% Crit. Damage Up ? Following your logic, there only can be Lando as lead as almost all chars anyway have more then .4 Crit Chance.

DonHaensl

@DonHaensl

There is Physical Critical rating and Special Critical rating. These distinguish between the type of damage your character does, not "normal" and "special" attacks.

For example, Emperor Palpatine does special damage so whether he crits or not depends on the special crit rate. Lando does physical damage so his crits are based on the physical critical rate.

There is not a seperate crit rate for special moves.

Wedge offers 30% offense and the mod set only offers 10% offense. 30% offense IS better than 30% crit damage, but we're not comparing % to %: we're comparing MOD SET BONUSES.
  • Options
    @Grraauuggh

You have six mod slots. You do have to choose which set bonuses to use. Nothing in any of these comparisons takes in to account the stats of your mods, just the set bonuses.