Levels vs stars

Given the ridiculous nature of the credit crunch I can't promote so many characters to the star level I have farmed nor use the near lifetime supply of droids I have in reserve. Thinking specifically to the scoundrel event with overflow to the mod challenge ... has anyone confirmed if an equal number of credits are better used promoting or leveling? If levels ... would we be better off bumping all 5 characters 5-10 levels to 65-70 or 1-2 characters to 78-80 and the rest stay in the 50's? Thinking about tenacity and potency but really everything. Or buff out one character star and level and leave the rest in the 50's?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I have not done any cost benefit analysis but I would recommend starting with the bump everyone to 65-70. That's when I started to be more effective in the event and mod challenge. You don't talk about stars even though you are asking for the comparison. My scoundrels are 2 7* and the rest 5* because I don't want to waste the credits to bring up to 6*.

I think 5 star is where you start to worry less about stars, and a little more about lvl and gear. Stars do help but not necessary unless you plan to use them in arena, or event specific (i.e. raids need to be 7*)

Hope this helps.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    I'm in this very same situation. I'll star first so then if I get any additional shards it's shard shop currency when Vader shows up. Starring costs a million, so I'll start there. At least you get Tier 7 raid fodder for damage. Then stock up a few days and promote. It's like 4 million credits for a toon to get from low 50's to 80. Just prioritize your toons and what you want to accomplish. You won't be able to do everything at once. I just brought HK from 6* to 7*, have Cad Bane ready after today and Fives ready for 7* by Monday with zero leveling credits. It's a horrid situation.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • TreTuna
    155 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thing is stars don't help you get higher gear levels, levels do... So I go levels then stars, unless I need them to be starred up to participate in an event.

6* g9/10 > 7* g7/8
    461-112-993
    Looking for allies level 40+
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    I'm trying to determine this now myself. Of course, raids mean that stars are pretty important. But, you can't raise gear levels without raising your levels. So, perhaps the answer lies in whatever the level max is for the gear level you need? I haven't looked into this specifically. I know some gear requires lvl63 to equip. I haven't noticed anything requiring a higher level than that.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    If you lvl for gear, then you have to consider lvl for skills too. I usually wait to do 6 and 7 star last after gear and skills which mean you need lvls.

I agree with raid fodder, but how much do you get with junk 7* toons. Unless you are really luck and they get targeted first.
  • Options
    It sounds like I just stop at 5* until I have 1.5m credits I'm willing to burn (Cad Bane 5* to 7* for example). Other than Dengar probably not urgent to farm past 4-5 stars as well given the credit crunch.

I can be more specific. I was able to eek by the first level challenge on free mod swap weekend but hoping to build just enough to beat it without doing that ... and maybe soon beat the harder version (and the mod challenge).

Going from level 53 to 60 is about 500k. 53 to 70 is about 1.8m. Unique gear requirements aside that means I can get 3 scoundrels to 60 for about the same cost as getting one to level 70. The jump from 53 to 80 is 4m which is a huge commitment.

First of all I assume with 5 level 60's all with g7-g8 and 5* on average is still not able to beat the harder challenges but should be more than enough for the lower ones. It is about 1.3m * 5 then to just get them all to level 70. That's a long time just to break even at every 14 days for 1m for the overall event!!!
  • Options
    evanbio wrote: »
    I'm trying to determine this now myself. Of course, raids mean that stars are pretty important. But, you can't raise gear levels without raising your levels. So, perhaps the answer lies in whatever the level max is for the gear level you need? I haven't looked into this specifically. I know some gear requires lvl63 to equip. I haven't noticed anything requiring a higher level than that.

A lot of the raid gear requires over Level 70 to equip.
  • Options
    Levels/Gear > Stars

Put it this way, which character to you fear more

7* Rey level 50 Gear 7
    or
    4* Rey Level 80 Gear 8

Id rather face the level 50 one every time. Damage mitigation matters. Higher levels, not only hit for more, but they also take less damage.
  • Options
    If others find it helpful 18291 is my scoundrel team power none really carried it all about even power and I managed to beat the challenge. Maybe 20 lv 3 mats spent between the 5 and decent 3rd team mods. Going to try mod challenges when I have spare energy.
  • Options
    I got Leia to 7 just now, she is at level 40. So, I was going to max her out. Noticed the cost and was surprised. So I went to check a low star toon. Dengar only has 2 stars, and is only level 1. Here are the pics of the cost for both of them. I know I won't be able to get them to post, sorry that you have to click a link.
    http://imgur.com/tQF5qBn
    http://imgur.com/aMw67mS

I don't understand the costs associated with levelling up a toon at all.
  • CptCaveman
    713 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I got Leia to 7 just now, she is at level 40. So, I was going to max her out. Noticed the cost and was surprised. So I went to check a low star toon. Dengar only has 2 stars, and is only level 1. Here are the pics of the cost for both of them. I know I won't be able to get them to post, sorry that you have to click a link.
    http://imgur.com/tQF5qBn
    http://imgur.com/aMw67mS

I don't understand the costs associated with levelling up a toon at all.

It costs exactly the same to level a 1* toon as it does a 7* toon. 4,636,584 credits to go from level 1 to level 80.

You are comparing two toons at different levels in those pics. Don't forget that it takes more xp to go up each successive level, therefore more droids and more credits. Each level gets more expensive. The first 40 levels on Leia are very cheap compared to the last 40.

Also, in the first pic, you applied the training droids to Dengar in the wrong order. That's why you are coming up with a different total than I am. If you apply highest star first, then fill in with lower stars when close to cap, you will avoid overfilling his xp bar and wasting droids and credits.

In your Dengar example you would waste 1278 credits and 6 1* training droids.
    Post edited by CptCaveman on
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Options
    Truth.

Always use highest star training droids first minus 1 droid, then use the 2nd to highest minus 1, so on and so forth.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For most toons, I would stop at 5 stars when short on credits. With gear and mods, forgetabout it. They will do fine. I don't worry about 6 or 7th star under I already have them to gear 9, or even gear 10. GW toons, maybe sooner, just because the shards are so easy.

A 5 star geared rock will beat a 7 star scissor, every time.
    Thinking specifically to the scoundrel event with overflow to the mod challenge ... has anyone confirmed if an equal number of credits are better used promoting or leveling? If levels ... would we be better off bumping all 5 characters 5-10 levels to 65-70 or 1-2 characters to 78-80 and the rest stay in the 50's? Thinking about tenacity and potency but really everything. Or buff out one character star and level and leave the rest in the 50's?
    Forgetabout it. You don't need that many stars or levels. Maybe one or two toons level 63ish (Chewie and/or Lando), and the rest 50-53. (Minimum level to use mods, and then an extra level or two if needed to get to the next gear level.) And 3 to 5 stars, max, for each one. You will win with a few mods and some RNG. I suppose if you want to star anyone to 6, Cad Bane not too bad, since he is in GW. But I wouldn't star anyone else over 4 or 5, and I wouldn't level anyone over 65, unless you want to use them for raids or other events. Credit Heist is not that hard. And no, I don't have Lando.