Defense, does it impact the game?

daddydanks
96 posts Member
edited August 2016
i know I have seen this addressed before, but I am going to try and address it again and see if we can get some support on this matter and then I will give a yes know poll down blow for the devs to see where the community stands on the matter. If I am wrong in this post by all means please correct me with a reason why.

First off, I'd like to clarify what Defense means. Defense is the armor and resistance of a character.

Armor reduces the damage of an attack. For example, an attack that does 1000 damage against a hero that has 250 armor will end up damaging the hero for 750 HP.
Resistance is the exact same as armor except it only applies to special damage. which only applies to roughly 25% of heroes.

Armor and Resistance are what increase or decrease when defense up/defense down buffs are applied. However, the problem lies with the issue that armor and resistance are such minuscule amounts in the game that buffs/debuffs like this are negligible. For instance, the highest armor is 393 from Old Ben and the highest resistance is 263 from Mace Windu. Hypothetically speaking, Rey can do attacks that do about 20,000 damage. When I apply armor to that damage from Old Ben, her 20,000 damage is reduced to 19,607 damage. Even with armor I'm still dead. Do you see the unbalance here?

A lot of people in the community are fighting for evasion changes, for Rey to cease insta-killing everyone, and for other heroes to have a boost in performance. But i gotta say, the lack of impact that defense has in the game is far worse than the Rey/RG combo, dodge meta, and character imbalance combined. If the game actually had a meta based on defense, a large percentage of characters that need balancing could be fixed. It would also change some of this ongoing and boring DPS/speed meta in arena.

Where are your thoughts on this situation guys? Is this something that needs immediate change or is this really not that big of an issue? Give me a vote in the polls below! I for one, think defense needs a full overhaul!

Defense, does it impact the game? 35 votes

Yes, Defense needs a rework/overhaul
85%
TheRenegadePolariceMasterOneHitEricsonXMegadeth3700IsThisThomZiggy23escorpion8888MarkatonaIsaiah_THE_JediEventineElessedildaddydanksjhunt5252HurricaneTrooperMol_Eliza_99999Aycee1Snake2Ss4steveNguerraAzanathar 30 votes
No, Defense should stay where it is
14%
unit900000brett94PinkFloydTheBarberPeteypeteQuinlan_Vos_Country 5 votes

Replies

• Options
    No, Defense should stay where it is
    Your all insane imagine a buffed denfense and resistance tank you would get resisted on crits and damage dealt meaning while your dealing with a tank like rg with dps toons they would be instantly slaughtered by an enemies dps toon that comes paired with rg coughhhhhhhhhhh rey
    Which if it was stupidly redesigned the whole game would have to go to the drawing boardvthink before you doom yourself if they ever did redesign the game
  • Options
    Yes, Defense needs a rework/overhaul
    Defense does work. When I apply the Defense Up buff, there is a noticeable decrease in damage taken. But it should be more effective. I don't know how it really works in-game, but it should be based on percentages rather than a flat point deduction off the damage inflicted.
  • Options
    Defense does work. When I apply the Defense Up buff, there is a noticeable decrease in damage taken. But it should be more effective. I don't know how it really works in-game, but it should be based on percentages rather than a flat point deduction off the damage inflicted.

This
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • scuba
    14068 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Armor reduces the amount of damage taken by physical abilities.

I am 99.9% sure it reduces the physical damage stat that is used to calculate actual damage dealt.

I base this on the description in the stat.
    brEOTFf.jpg

I believe the equation to determine the final damage dealt is
    modifier*(physical/special damage - (armor/resistance - armor/resistance penetration))
    Example max gear, level, star Rey has physical damage stat of 2349 and armor penetration of 44, using old Ben armor of 393.

Ignoring armor and armor penetration for a moment.

2.210*2349=5191 damage dealt from basic

Now taking armor and armor penetration into account
    2349-(393-44)=1912
    So final damage calculation would use 1912 for calculation.
    2.210*1912=4221 damage dealt to old Ben from basic.

Of course Dev's are the only ones that can answer this. Also since mods update the actual values for armor and resistance have been converted to a percentage so not sure what the actual values are.