Why do they drop so many more square mods than the other shapes?

Any theories?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Because the lowered the drop rate to less than 100%.....so now you have an RNG inside an RNG... RNG-seption
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Because the lowered the drop rate to less than 100%.....so now you have an RNG inside an RNG... RNG-seption

@Kyno
    If only! But you see:
    You must have an RNG for the drop, which RNG's the shape, which RNG's the stats.

You have missed a whole RNG!
  • Options
    GIB SQUARE MODS TO ME!
    Seriously, I'm getting **** off be the amount of posts about too many square mods when I can't get a single one.
  • Options
    Toukai wrote: »

@Kyno
    If only! But you see:
    You must have an RNG for the drop, which RNG's the shape, which RNG's the stats.

Don't forget about the RNG for quality of mod (E-A).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

@Kyno
    If only! But you see:

and the mk3/4/5
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    I get more circles and pluses than squares
  • Options
    Got lots of spare squares as well. Triangles drop the least for me.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

@Kyno
    If only! But you see:

and the mk3/4/5

@Kyno
    If only! But you see:

@leef
    @armyhutchings
    Oh gods! It's even worse than I imagined!
  • Options
    OK -really simplified math - so let's say that there is a 40% chance of a drop (EA said it was better than Shards and shards are about 1/3 for cantina from what I read and experienced) and that all mod shapes drop equal (or 1/6 chance of any type of mod). Stats accumulate as multiples, therefore you have a 0.4 x 0.167 = 0.067 or 6.7% chance of getting the mod type you want from any battle.

Now let's sat you are doing a 4-dot challenge... if you assume that the 3 dot types (2 dot, 3 dot and 4 dot) possible all drop at the same chance (1/3 or 0.333), you have a 2.2% chance of getting the mod shape with the mod rarity that you want.....

For reference, betting #21 of an american roulette table has a 2.6% chance of hitting....

Now, let's say you really want a 4-dot arrow with speed as a primary. Note that there are 7 possible primary stats for the arrow, assuming an equal distribution your chance is 1/7 or 0.143. Your chance:

0.4 x 0.167 x 0.333 x 0.143 = 0.32%

Pretty good argument for just buying mods....
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • Options
    Over a week and no triangles dropping ...
  • Options
    I have a lot more diamond shaped mods than anything else
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    All I get are squares and crosses.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Oh, and all the same primary
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    For me it's circle. Have a lot of them
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options
    OK -really simplified math - so let's say that there is a 40% chance of a drop (EA said it was better than Shards and shards are about 1/3 for cantina from what I read and experienced) and that all mod shapes drop equal (or 1/6 chance of any type of mod). Stats accumulate as multiples, therefore you have a 0.4 x 0.167 = 0.067 or 6.7% chance of getting the mod type you want from any battle.

Now let's sat you are doing a 4-dot challenge... if you assume that the 3 dot types (2 dot, 3 dot and 4 dot) possible all drop at the same chance (1/3 or 0.333), you have a 2.2% chance of getting the mod shape with the mod rarity that you want.....

For reference, betting #21 of an american roulette table has a 2.6% chance of hitting....

Now, let's say you really want a 4-dot arrow with speed as a primary. Note that there are 7 possible primary stats for the arrow, assuming an equal distribution your chance is 1/7 or 0.143. Your chance:

0.4 x 0.167 x 0.333 x 0.143 = 0.32%

Pretty good argument for just buying mods....

I think you are generous with drop rate. They said higher than shards but who is to say they didn't nerf shard drop rate. Either way, thanks a lot, Now I really feel defeated!!! LOL