Critical Chance vs. Critical Damage mods

I've seen several posts claiming critical damage mods are generally better than critical chance mods. Is that the general consensus?

Just running numbers, it appears critical damage has a very slight edge. When factoring actual character skills, though, critical chance is better many times. Please let me know if I am missing something:

Let's take an unmodded example character who normally hits for 5000 damage. And say he has a 20% base critical chance and 150% base critical damage.

Over 100 hits, the unmodded character does (80*5000) + (20*7500) = 550,000 total damage.

If 4 maxed critical damage mods are added, the character gets a 30% boost to critical damage (180% total). Thus, his damage over 100 hits would be (80*5000) + (20*9000) = 580,000 total damage. That is an overall increase of about 5.5% damage.

If instead he used 4 maxed critical chance mods, he would get a 10% bonus to critical chance, making his damage over 100 hits (70*5000) + (30*7500) = 575,000 total damage. That is an overall increase of about 4.5%.

The difference is less than 1% if my math is right. But take into account you need 4 mods to get the bonus for critical damage, and you can get some critical chance with just 2 mods. Or better, what if the character is someone like Ahsoka, Lando, or any of the numerous characters who get bonuses on a critical hit. Then critical chance is the clear winner.

Replies

• Options
    Its very closed and interdependant - Someone at 20% crit (Qui-G) will benefit more from chance, while a Rey/Ani/Leia with over 40% will want crit damage.

My brief math ended up something like:
    Till 20% crit: Crit chance triangle + sets.
    20-35ish: Mix (so either Crit damage on set or on triangle and vice-versa)
    35%+: Beneficial to stack up on crit damage. (You will get 5% from 2p crit chance set and more crit from secondaries aswell).

It is pretty close though, but in general your highest dps'ers fall into the stack-crit-damage category. Once you get some 4%+ crit chance as secondaries it goes fast.
    ---
    An alternative logic to crit damage (in arena where short term outweighs longgame) is that 10% crit only adds damage 10% of the time, where crit damage does something upwards to half the time. (Hallo 60% crit chance Ani!)
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    Nice work...really...but your forgetting a few things...namely toons that synergize critical dmg like 86 and his assistance (+75%) and leia...

I have critical dmg mods and a primary critical dmg mod on her...so when she stealths her crit dmg goes up to 251% if she makes the assistance with wedge thats +326% crit dmg...and a definite possibility she may have offense up on top of all that...the simple fact there are so many assistance attacks, specials and leader skills that boost critical chance make critical dmg the clear and decisive better mod.

If you aren't farming jawas...you better start now!
  • Options
    I know crit chance mods are good to use, but with characters like phasma and jka, constantly granting advantage, Id, rather just use crit damage mods.
  • scuba
    14079 posts Member
    Options
    All dependent on base crit chance, and gains from unique and leaders and what happens with crits, Aayla stuns on crits, droids with hk lead gain TM, rebels with wedge lead gain TM.
    As was stated can add crit chance via secondary.

looking at 6 mk5 level 15 mods primary and set bonuses only

4 crit damage and 2 crit chance can add
    66% crit damage and 5% crit chance
    Or
    30% crit damage and 17% crit chance

6 crit chance mods can add
    36% crit damage and 15% crit chance
    Or
    27% crit chance
  • Options
    The ideal setup for pure dps is four critical damage mods with two critical chance mods. Both sets having speed, offense and critical chance secondaries .
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Options
    It's a decision to be made per character. For instance, Night Sister Initiate has a special that's an automatic critical. So the damage is preferred. Ahsoka has a naturally great critical rate. So again, damage is preferred. Resistance Pilot gains turn meter from a critical. For her, trying to make sure you critical every attack is awesome. So here, critical chance is preferred.