whats the RG hype about?

licky
112 posts Member
I've gotten a full RG about five times from a bronze data card. So I have been starring/gearing him up just for the hell of it. But I want to know if its even worth it? Fighting against him in the arena is easy, I just knock him out first. His stun chance is high but it never lands for me. He's good fighting against AI though. But why is he such a meta character??

Replies

• MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
  • licky
    112 posts Member
    Options
    MBL_66 wrote: »
    What level are you?
    76 why?
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    He's not anymore. Han is the better tank for arena these days though RG does still fit some teams. His appeal is the automatic taunt. So if you can't kill Rey without first triggering his taunt, you're likely in trouble as she'll deal a ton of damage, heal, and put up Foresight.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Options
    Yeah, his appeal is his high health/def and making you spend time taking him down while other damage dealers hide behind him and kill your toons.

Obviously, his effectiveness comes down to your stats vs their stats. If you can kill him and their dps characters before they kill you, great, if not, then RG did his job.

B2 blows RG totally away though with his buff blocker AOE spam.
  • Bones
    456 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, his appeal is his high health/def and making you spend time taking him down while other damage dealers hide behind him and kill your toons.

Obviously, his effectiveness comes down to your stats vs their stats. If you can kill him and their dps characters before they kill you, great, if not, then RG did his job.

B2 blows RG totally away though with his buff blocker AOE spam.

yea and rex counters b2 easily
  • Options
    I like him for his stun almost as much as I like him for his taunt! I think at Gear 8 or so he gets more potency. I only have mine G9 and he sticks his stun pretty reliably. With a scanner on him, I imagine it's pretty automatic.

As others have said, RG's taunt makes you have to plan your damage. If you take out RG first at higher arena ranks, you're going to pay for it. The DPS on the squad will put a beating on you. I always try to get the opposing Rey close to 50% health first, then use my Rey or QGJ to wipe her the rest of the way. If done right, RG's taunt never goes off and I can take out another DPS.

Without RG in the equation, I can just lay damage on whoever I want, whenever I want. I don't have anything like a taunt to workaround. STH is nice, yea. But, if I dispel his taunt he is pretty useless for the rest of the match. RG can re-taunt without wasting a turn and is a better taunter for that reason.
  • Options
    Pair with rey so she lasts longer
  • Options
    Leave rey, kill QGJ first, he can give you an extra turn. Plus stun/slow or def up. But yes Han is better tank, if you can keep his taunt. RG can taunt many times, every turn some times.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RG is valuable to empire mod challenge definitely...aside from that his stun is great auto taunt great high hp/protection great...atk horrible. He is a great all around toon to have...you need to 5 or 6* him to be effective though. Gear him up as much as possible w/o raid gear and make your final decision as to wether you want him in arena squad or not.
  • CptCaveman
    713 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RG has second highest hp/protection of all the taunting tanks. Therefore he has second highest when modded too. Auto taunt doesn't use a turn and pops up automatically. Very handy for low hp/protection toons that can be killed on first turn by a speedy Rey and Leia. If it is dispelled,it will reapply when a toon goes below 50% again. Other taunting tanks have to wait for cool down to reapply.

His speed down is great, and stun as well. Damage is expectedly weak.
    Post edited by CptCaveman on
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Options
    Hype what hype? hahaha RG, man he ain't all dat. Go get yourself a real tank. Like chewie. They gave you some shards to help you out with dat too
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    Don't believe the hype!
  • Youthv2
    270 posts Member
    Options
    I like RG simply for his auto taunt. I prefer gamorean guard over st-han. Chew is garbage. And Poe.... Sad little Poe :(
    ~Y O U T H v2
    Guild: Paradigm of Virtue (PoV)
    Line: GohYouth
  • Options
    Hype what hype? hahaha RG, man he ain't all dat. Go get yourself a real tank. Like chewie. They gave you some shards to help you out with dat too

Even chewie is only mediocre. Stormtrooper is the best tank of them all
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    He's a good defensive toon as far as the AI is considered. He basically functions as you would use him on defense. And his paring with rey is a plus to 76% of the top 100 teams
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    He's a good defensive toon as far as the AI is considered. He basically functions as you would use him on defense. And his paring with rey is a plus to 76% of the top 100 teams

Boring...

Everyone uses QGJ too and that nullifies RG to some extent at least...

Also boring...

Why even bother with a tank when he only gives the other team an offense boost?

Many other options exist...

*edit... Sounds so snooty :(
    Post edited by Smapty on
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rg is the Terminator. He doesn't need tenacity. He doesn't need speed. He doesn't need offense/dps. You can stun him. You can block him. But you can't stop him. He guards people. Even while stunned. Then he stuns the bad guys. Qgj/teebo/assaj can grant a temporary reprieve, and then he is back on duty.

RG. Preventing THKOs by dumb AI since April, 2016.
  • Options
    Any Empire character is worth getting.
  • Options
    Especially at 7 stats level 80 with a ton of protection mods. ~70-90K total damage soaking depending on gear.
  • Gavstar
    214 posts Member
    Options
    RG was awesome during precraft 1.0, b/c once he hit gear9 the protection and health boost made RG a beast. Now, everyone has geared up to deal the the health pool. Auto taunt is only a delaying factor to burn dps turn until it's dispelled. Pair RG with droid and old Ben with ability block really slows attacking teams. If you can disable dispellers, RG is more effective.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    The Royal Guard is the defensive equivalent of Qui-Gon Jinn. Qui-Gon allows your offensive characters to get extra attacks in through assists and turn meter reduction; Royal Guard allows your offensive characters to get extra attacks through his reflexive taunt and activated stun. People hate Rey and Old Daka, so they go for those characters first--protecting them with the Royal Guard acts as a force multiplier (well, technically, I guess a force additive) by keeping them alive a few turns longer.

TL;DR: Royal Guard isn't good on its own, but it makes every character in your team better.

And don't knock the stun. Combine him with Old Daka and you can lock down one character an entire match. With Qui-Gon Jinn and great luck you can stun all five enemies in Arena/Galactic War. The strongest benefit is that the AI will do alright with this stun when you're defending. Just don't upgrade Phalanx through the cooldown reduction levels. The more the AI is using Phalanx, the less the AI is stunning.
    Bones wrote: »
    yea and rex counters b2 easily
    Keep in mind the high cash cost of getting both Rex and B2 compared to farming the Royal Guard, which only costs energy. I mean, sure, B2 and Rex are probably better--but to most players they're unobtainable, making Royal Guard the best.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Youthv2 wrote: »
    I like RG simply for his auto taunt. I prefer gamorean guard over st-han. Chew is garbage. And Poe.... Sad little Poe :(

Gam Guard takes way too long to initiate another taunt if dispelled and is truly only good if paired with 88 lead and a Vader that can actually land his Culling Blade. Chewie can be good if on a Rebel team due to his TM reduction on baisc and he's the only taunter that can self heal (aside from Gam Guard but his is protection) which is crazy to think that's a mechanic. Poe, honestly can be truly viable again with speed mods. I seen people run him with JE, get all droids going first, then he taunts, removes turn meter and exposes and that team gets a second turn in before they can even act which usually results in two toons destroyed. ST Han is perhaps the most well rounded due to his abilities to remove TM passively, gain TM on his basic, which does anywhere from 4K to 10K which for a tank is pretty **** good. On a Rebel team, he's even faster, has more tenacity due to Ackbar and IMO the best taunt in the game, he can be stunned and it's still useful for TM gain. Lastly is good ole RG who as others have said does exactly what he's ment to do consistantly and that's soak up damage and allow DPSto systematically destroy your team. The only person that can reliable remove his taunt is Plo (since his dispel is on his baisc) but nobody uses him so yeah. IDK where the hype is coming from, perhaps back when he was first changed but now he's an after thought. Bottom line, get the tank that works for you, as they all take a ton of gear to make viable, especially ST Han, so don't waste gear on a toon that you won't use
  • Options
    I like RG for his taunt and stuns but I replaced him with Sun Fac.