Anyone play SWTOR?

Any SWTOR players? I have a question. Is it worth it to subscribe? I downloaded the F2P trial and it's an ok game, the story is really whats pulling me in. So far, I have hit level 20 and im noticing the reduced exp gain. I decided to buy some cartel coins to at least become preferred. However, I noticed basically everything is the game seems to be off-limits for F2P or preferred. The game basically screams "PLEASE SUBSCRIBE!" every time you do anything. I already subscribe to 2 other MMO's, im not opposed to an additional subscription (because its Star Wars), but is it worth it? Also, what's the best way to get all of the expansions?

TL;DR Is SWTOR worth subscribing to?

Replies

• SkyCake
    188 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that SWTOR isn't worth playing unless you sub. The f2p side is so annoying since you're limited on everything. I mean, hiding your helmet is restricted as a f2p! Especially annoying when playing with other people. You can buy off the restrictions at the GTN for credits if you're lucky enough to find some cheap prices. OR! Use your friend code to get people to join and see if they sub. If they do, you'll get Cartel Coins to use. You'll also get the best (functionally) mount in the game.

The best way to get the xpacs is to sub. You'll get them when you do.

SWTOR is a pretty fun game! As you noticed, the story side of it is its selling point. I managed to get Legendary status and enjoyed all the classes' stories.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've played since launch. There are somethings like a cap of 350k of credits per character, ops are for sub'd players only, BUT you can buy a weeks pass for cartel coins or in game credits on the GTN. in fact most restrictions can be removed either temporarily like ops, or permanently like using artifact level armor, weapons etc. At level 20, you cannot do ops, they require max level and gear. As for artifact armor, until you hit max, your levels change so quickly you can use common data crystals obtained by doing missions to update your armor with better mods etc. Another great thing for levelling is flashpoints, and tactical flashpoints. Save your XP boosts for them. TFP'S let you group with assorted levels and are all bumped to max level. Plus you no longer need to gear companions and they are great in combat now.

Bioware is excellent at storytelling. You'll have a blast with them.
  • Options
    SkyCake wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that SWTOR isn't worth playing unless you sub. The f2p side is so annoying since you're limited on everything. I mean, hiding your helmet is restricted as a f2p! Especially annoying when playing with other people. You can buy off the restrictions at the GTN for credits if you're lucky enough to find some cheap prices. OR! Use your friend code to get people to join and see if they sub. If they do, you'll get Cartel Coins to use. You'll also get the best (functionally) mount in the game.

SWTOR is a pretty fun game! As you noticed, the story side of it is its selling point. I managed to get Legendary status and enjoyed all the classes' stories.

So if I sub I automatically get all the expacs?
  • Options
    I've played since launch. There are somethings like a cap of 350k of credits per character, ops are for sub'd players only, BUT you can buy a weeks pass for cartel coins or in game credits on the GTN. in fact most restrictions can be removed either temporarily like ops, or permanently like using artifact level armor, weapons etc. At level 20, you cannot do ops, they require max level and gear. As for artifact armor, until you hit max, your levels change so quickly you can use common data crystals obtained by doing missions to update your armor with better mods etc. Another great thing for levelling is flashpoints, and tactical flashpoints. Save your XP boosts for them. TFP'S let you group with assorted levels and are all bumped to max level. Plus you no longer need to gear companions and they are great in combat now.

Bioware is excellent at storytelling. You'll have a blast with them.

Very interesting, thanks =]
  • SkyCake
    188 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yep. You'll also get 10 additional character slots! And, 4 extra quickbars (you'll need them). Mail. 48 extra GTN slots if you're planning on playing the market. Extra Crew Skills (crafting and gathering skills) slots. Access to higher gear levels and player levels. And other nice things.

Honestly, if you're pretty patient and only want to see the main story up to level 50, you could do it f2p. I think it wouldn't be nearly as fun as subbing due to the restrictions placed on f2p, but definitely possible! Each class has their own class story of three chapters and up to level 50 that f2p have access to.

Edit: Another option is Preferred player. If you spend some money on the game, you'll be promoted to a preferred player for life. It's not as good as a subscriber, but better than being f2p. Edit2: You become preferred after spending 5$ or for subbing for at least a month. If you sub a month and decide to not resub, you'll become a preferred player and not a f2p.

Edit: Blizz is the best companion. (subjective, especially after the companion rework)
    Post edited by SkyCake on
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    One thing to consider, the expansions you get for subbing req level 50 if I recall correctly. So subbing now will cause them to download but you won't be going there until 50+ (Makeb, etc..)
  • Options

Yep. You'll also get 10 additional character slots! And, 4 extra quickbars (you'll need them). Mail. 48 extra GTN slots if you're planning on playing the market. Extra Crew Skills (crafting and gathering skills) slots. Access to higher gear levels and player levels. And other nice things.

Honestly, if you're pretty patient and only want to see the main story up to level 50, you could do it f2p. I think it wouldn't be nearly as fun as subbing due to the restrictions placed on f2p, but definitely possible! Each class has their own class story of three chapters and up to level 50 that f2p have access to.

Edit: Another option is Preferred player. If you spend some money on the game, you'll be promoted to a preferred player for life. It's not as good as a subscriber, but better than being f2p. Edit2: You become preferred after spending 5$ or for subbing for at least a month. If you sub a month and decide to not resub, you'll become a preferred player and not a f2p.

Edit: Blizz is the best companion. (subjective, especially after the companion rework)

Oh ok cool, Im currently preferred as I saw a speeder I wanted on cartel market lol.
  • Options
    One thing to consider, the expansions you get for subbing req level 50 if I recall correctly. So subbing now will cause them to download but you won't be going there until 50+ (Makeb, etc..)

I see, so it would probably make more sense to get to 50 then get the expacs.
  • Options

That would be my thinking, yes.. :)

• Options

That would be my thinking, yes.. :)

Noted, thanks again!
  • SkyCake
    188 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Edit: Wasn't sure if it counted as a spoiler or not! I didn't say the story, but like... told you how many books were in it. I could see how people wouldn't want to know.
    Post edited by SkyCake on
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    But, with the new outfit systems etc, you may want to grab some gear for looks, when outfitting your companions. Taking your mate shopping even happens in a galaxy far far away..lol

I love the little touches in the stories. One flashpoint in particular has become my fav to replay.

All I will say is.. "Interjection.."

Sky, hush ;)