GW mechanics (Complete assumption and guide)

NDSnyder
174 posts Member
edited August 2016
Based on my experiences (and those of other posters) I think GW is working as intended.

What is the goal of GW?
First of all, it is intended as main credit source. Secondly, it should be the part of the game where you can adjust your team's tactics and try out how a newly leveled toon is working with others. It is your training ground, basically. And thirdly, it should make you create a deeper rooster.

Well it is a credit source for me and I try different team combinations here, since I can always retreat and adjust.

How GW is built up?
There are 4 parts, each with 3 battles (as you know), where each part is harder than the one before, and of course each fight in a particular part is harder than the previous one in that part. There is one exception, but I'll come to that later.
This doesn't necessarily mean that every of the 12 fights is harder than the previous one.

How does matchmaking work?
This is the least obvious point, and here I have to make some assumptions, so feel free to argue if you have experienced something else.

There are several theories how the teams will be put together:
  • based on the power of your arena team
    This is very unlikely, since several players reported no change in GW hardness after reducing the power of their arena team.
  • based on the power of the teams you have beaten in arena in the last x hours ( days, weeks, I dunno)
    Though, this is possible, I think it is too complicated and random, so if I was a developer, I wouldn't do it that way.
  • Based on the power of your top x toons
    I believe this is the right theory, and I have to say that based on my experiences x is higher than 10.
I also believe that there is a total power cap in GW, which cannot be exceeded. This could be the reason I find always low level white/green geared low star toons on node 12. (mentioned earlier that that there is 1 exception)
When you reset GW for each nod a team will be determined that:
a. Successfully fought that node
b. Fulfills an unknown power curve

How will GW be more balanced?
GW was unbalanced, since the nerf of mods. I could completed it still, but had significantly more difficulties.
Here I have to say, that I currently have a top 15 rooster with a total power of 104.342, and I am an ex-dolphin.
I assume the problem was that mods didn't effected the power of the toons as intended, so everyone had to face harder teams because every team was moded, but their power was lower than in reality. This should be solved with the update of today.

How to complete GW everyday?
A lot of players have written about it and a lot of players ignore those tips.
  1. Build at least 3 competitive teams
  2. On node 1 start with your weakest (C) team, on node 2 with your second best (B) team, and on node 3 your strongest (A) team. (Your goal is to get them some turn meter so next time they start earlier.)
  3. Always try to finish a fight with as much HP and Prot as possible (time your heals) and if possible with reseted cool downs (especially for those abilities you use at the beginning of fights)
  4. On node 4 use again team C.
  5. There are 2 strategies, that do not differ too much from each other, so chose as you like:
    • Use on each first fight of the 4 parts your A team, B on the second, and C on the third
    • Use always the weakest team of the three, except on 1-3 (as written above) and on the nodes 6, 9 and 12 (in my case node 11)
  6. If you have difficulties throw in a suicide squad, but bear in mind that if you have fought a team and you go in with a second squad, it will act differently. It will have changed cool downs, but just like you they will have collected turn meter from the previous fight.

Summary
All together I think GW fulfills its function, since you get credits, takes some time and is a good testing ground. It is not easy, and don't expect to be able to complete it in the beginning, but if you follow the steps you will see that it works, and the main reason why it is hard for a lot of people, is that they have a very strong top five (mostly their arena teams) and then there is a big gap of power behind it.

Feel free to disagree with me but please reason it, or prove it, but don't start whining here, start your own GW topic. This one should be helpful and constructive!

Replies

• Options
    My 2¢... it's working as intended because the dev's want you to have a deep roster. You'll need different squad composition for raids, Arena, GW, etc... I'm OK with this.

As to the why it cheeses everyone off? That's because the people who are drawn to this type of game are completionists. We like to do everything. It feels wrong that we can't complete something and it's thrown in our face every day. It's like an itch you can't scratch in the middle of your back.

As for me, I can complete it every day (with the exception of the first two days with Mods), so it doesn't bother me as much :smile: .
  • Options
    As I see, the only problem is, that people expect something else as it is.
  • Options
    Very well written guide.

giphy.gif

I honestly hope it gets read & understood!
  • RyanRen
    994 posts Member
    Options
    I think droids are the key to GW (or perhaps other teams with high synergy boost). My team is a little over 29,000 in power, but I can beat teams in arena with 5-6k more than that. The reason is all of the critical chance and turn meter boost. I run 47(L), 86, 88, 100, and JE, and most days I go wire to wire in GW without losing a single character.

It's great for arena purposes, but GW is about teams where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. High-powered toons that don't boost each other will struggle far more in GW than what look like lower-powered toons with great synergy. I would expect this to be true of a full Jawa or Droid/Jawa hybrid with Nebit substituted for your choice of the IG droids.
  • NDSnyder
    174 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I definitely believe that synergy is important, then your team members should not die if possible. The composition should be "sustainable".
    I run atm:
    Team A: Old Ben 80 gl9, St Han, Yoda, Rey, QGJ (all maxed)
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    Good strategy! I've been farming up 3 good teams for a couple of weeks now too. I do mine the exact way you do it. Haven't lost one in a while, although lately they have been pushing my roster.

Also yeah I've assumed it was based on your top 5 toons from your roster regardless of use. Ive seldomly tested it over the last weeks....node 12 is always 113-115% stronger than my rosters fab five.
  • Max10
    43 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just noticed this week that after getting a 5th toon to gear 9 that my node 6 became increasingly difficult. I've always had an easy node 6. Wondering if there is some correlation.
  • Options
    Very well written guide.

giphy.gif

I honestly hope it gets read & understood!

I'd like to thank my producer, the guy that held the microphone, and my goldfish.
  • O8c8h80
    119 posts Member
    Options
    Good guide!

I would add dont always put C team on node 1, B team on node 2 ect. It depends on the match up.

I normally go B/A on node 1 and 2. Then I roll with my D and E teams and put in my C team once they are defeated.

I also never do suicide squads anymore, but I will send in one suicide toon to get enemys turn meter how I want it when I transition to my C team.
  • Options
    You can mod the strategy depending on your usable rooster, if you have d and an e team, even better, I also tend to use a d team.
  • O8c8h80
    119 posts Member
    Options
    Its not much of an E team but can still take out a toon or two on node 3/4.
  • ThewhiteonE
    658 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @EA_Jesse, @BentWookiee & this one...

& if Jesse if you can add or edit the OP to add a few unassuming corrections to the post, it would be awesome!
  • Options
    @EA_Jesse, @BentWookiee & this one...

& if Jesse if you can add or edit the OP to add a few unassuming corrections to the post, it would be awesome!

Honestly, this topic was intended to be a discussion about GW mechanics, rather than a guide. I think it is a misstake to move it, butI am no admin.