How strength is used to calculate % armor

Prev1
@Ea_Jesse thanks for the update about the armor. I'm trying to figure out if defense mods are better than health mods for certain toons (specifically a maxed SThan) but unless I know how strength affects armor percentages it's rather hard to calculate, any response would be awesome. I know a ton of post on here have been trying to do the same but unless we know how armor percentages are calculated it's very hard to figure out which set is best

P.S unless you have something useful to say, save it

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    "Something useful"

Sorry I had to do it.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    "Something useful"

Sorry I had to do it.

Yea figured one person would...
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    I doubt they'll bother telling us anything that would be considered useful, although it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Obsid
    108 posts Member
    Options
    I have been able to figure out a little playing around with watching the armor values when leveling, using mods with +defense or +%defense, but I'm not 100% sure of everything. What I do know is that each point of str gains a certain amount of defense, and then armor is calculated based on this formula: Armor = Defense / (Defense + (Level * 10), so you actually lose armor as you level (although you gain far more hp so the effective hp of the char goes up as you level. See this post for more information by a developer:https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/45f83c/armor_system_rework_suggestion/
  • Options
    Obsid wrote: »
    I have been able to figure out a little playing around with watching the armor values when leveling, using mods with +defense or +%defense, but I'm not 100% sure of everything. What I do know is that each point of str gains a certain amount of defense, and then armor is calculated based on this formula: Armor = Defense / (Defense + (Level * 10), so you actually lose armor as you level (although you gain far more hp so the effective hp of the char goes up as you level. See this post for more information by a developer:https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/45f83c/armor_system_rework_suggestion/

Thanks for this! However, since I'm a little new to Reddit (downloaded it a couple days ago) I don't know how to tell how many days ago this was posted.
  • Obsid
    108 posts Member
    Options
    5 months ago, but it is probably still accurate (I doubt they made very fundamental changes if they didnt have to)
  • Options
    All stats should be readjusted if strength was made to add so much more armor. Int should give more damage to special and resist. Agility could give more crit etc... Int heroes need a rework in general given special attacks are on a cool down and have lower base crit chances.
  • Options
    5 months ago, but it is probably still accurate (I doubt they made very fundamental changes if they didnt have to)

So given I thought about this a little more, it's still hard to doing any kind of calculations regarding armor, armor has changed a lot in the last five months so I think everyone would appreciate if we could get an update on this, even if it's a "formula hasn't changed update"
  • Ing256
    471 posts Member
    Options
    Ben_kenobi wrote: »

So given I thought about this a little more, it's still hard to doing any kind of calculations regarding armor, armor has changed a lot in the last five months so I think everyone would appreciate if we could get an update on this, even if it's a "formula hasn't changed update"

They said it depends on strength and that formula doesn't, so obviously that's not right at the moment.

• Options
    That was kind of the point I was trying to make. Furthermore, defense is not even a listed stat anymore, so is it gone entirely or just in the background?
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    That was kind of the point I was trying to make. Furthermore, defense is not even a listed stat anymore, so is it gone entirely or just in the background?

Defense has never been a listed stat just as offense is not.

Defense is armor and resistance
    Offense is physical damage and special damage.

Armor reduces physical damage
    Resistance reduces special damage

Armor and resistance used to be integer, non-percentage number, before mod update.
  • Obsid
    108 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ing256 wrote: »
    They said it depends on strength and that formula doesn't, so obviously that's not right at the moment.

The defense stat is increased by strength gain, which in turn changes your armor.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

Defense has never been a listed stat just as offense is not.

Defense is armor and resistance
    Offense is physical damage and special damage.

Armor reduces physical damage
    Resistance reduces special damage

Armor and resistance used to be integer, non-percentage number, before mod update.

Call me crazy but I'm pretty positive it used to be listed, I don't have any screen shots to prove my point, so if someone does (I believe it was premod) it would be awesome if you could post it here.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    It was, which is why SWGOH has defense values. Armor was the one that used to not be listed.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Options
    I don't have one which shows armor directly but below you can see resistance which is basically the same thing. They did use to display the flat stat for these.

OGSzI7x.jpg
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Josh_K wrote: »
    I don't have one which shows armor directly but below you can see resistance which is basically the same thing. They did use to display the flat stat for these.

OGSzI7x.jpg
    Zooey wrote: »
    It was, which is why SWGOH has defense values. Armor was the one that used to not be listed.

That is my point.

There was no stat labeled "defense". It has always been armor and resistance. They were represented as flat numbers not percentage as show in above picture and on swgoh.gg

To add to it you will also notice "special critical rating" is show in that pic and on swgoh.gg. That is now "special critical chance" represented as a percentage now. Same with physical critical rating and physical critical chance.

Gear still has inter values for increasing these numbers as it does and has for armor and resistance.
  • Options
    Either way doesn't matter I still want to be able to calculate armor %
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Either way doesn't matter I still want to be able to calculate armor %

Yes. Trial and error is stupid.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The formula Armor/(Armor + (Level * 10)) doesn't seem to work for pre-update armor/resistance. Plugging in the armor values for fives (from before the update), the resultant reduction percentage is off by quite a bit.
  • Obsid
    108 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Its Defense/(Defense + (Level*10))

(Its Defense not armor that is used to calculate armor, str gain gives you more defense.)
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

(Its Defense not armor that is used to calculate armor, str gain gives you more defense.)

Where is the defense number/stat?
    Also look at str description it is used to increase armor not defense

vzAvOGO.jpg
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Defense refers to both armor and resistance. + 1 defense means u get +1 armor and +1 resistance. Armor is used to calculate reduction vs physical and resistance used for special damage.
  • Options
    MOAR OFFENSE PL0X
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I looked at the reddit post.

Mitigation = Defense/(Defense + (level*10)) is what was posted by the dev.

For physical damage defense is Armor.
    For special damage defense is Resistance.

So it seems now they are showing the mitigation % for armor and resistance where before the update they were showing integer number used to calculate mitigation %.

Defense mods affect both armor and resistance, and by different amounts because they both have different base stats.

Defense is dependent on the type of attack received.
    Armor means nothing for Qgj special attacks.
    Resistance means nothing against any of Rey's attacks.

Edit: Typo
    Post edited by scuba on
  • Options

Mitigation = Defense/(Defense - (level*100)) is what was posted by the dev.

So it seems now they are showing the mitigation % for armor and resistance where before the update they were showing integer number used to calculate mitigation %.

Defense mods affect both armor and resistance, and by different amounts because they both have different base stats.

So it makes sense to you know? I read that it and tried to replicate the results but could not for the life of me and I'm pretty decent with math.
  • Obsid
    108 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I had to do some complicated graph intersects to get the numbers to work, the math isnt easy to calculate, but it seems to get fairly close. You are quite right that there is a diffrence between resistance for special attacks and armor for normal attack (with different base values for each determined by the str (for armor) or the int values (for resistance). I know they messed with the armor gain per str, I dont think they changed the int gain for resistance but I could be wrong.

The defense # isnt listed in the stat screen, but it does still exist its just a hidden value that can be calculated (with some fairly complicated math).
  • Options
    I had to do some complicated graph intersects to get the numbers to work, the math isnt easy to calculate, but it seems to get fairly close. You are quite right that there is a diffrence between resistance for special attacks and armor for normal attack (with different base values for each determined by the str (for armor) or the int values (for resistance). I know they messed with the armor gain per str, I dont think they changed the int gain for resistance but I could be wrong.

The defense # isnt listed in the stat screen, but it does still exist its just a hidden value that can be calculated (with some fairly complicated math).

Can you post this math?
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Options

That formula would go negative for any sensible armor value. The relevant flat armor range is ~100 to ~450.
  • Ace97302
    182 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

That formula would go negative for any sensible armor value. The relevant flat armor range is ~100 to ~450.

I'm pretty sure the formula was Mitigation = Defense/(Defense + (level*10)), not "- (level *100)."

E.g., before last week's update, physical damage mitigation for OB's ~400 armor at level 80 was roughly 400 / (400 + 800), or 33%.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Options
    Ace97302 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the formula was Mitigation = Defense/(Defense - (level*10)), not *100.

That still goes negative for the practical armor range.