How does Defense boosts from Mods work?

I'm not sure how I should valuate Mods that give boosts to Defense. I see that physical and special survivability goes up, usually by a small percentage, but how does that translate into taking less damage?

I guess what I'm asking is, how much is each percentage of Defense worth compared to a unit of Health or Protection (both which are more straight forward to understand)?

Replies

• Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    There have been many threads on this topic and there's still a bit of speculation on it. But as a strict set bonus the hp mods are Far better in 99% of cases
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    There is a lot of guessing going on. Best assumption that seems to work is the armor/resistance reduces physical/special damage done buy that amount.

So if an attack is going to do 1000 physical damage and you have armor of 25% then you will only take 750 damage.
    10,000 damage you will take 7500 damage.

If you increase the armor stat by 10% to 30% then you will only take 700 damage. 10,000 damage you will take 7000 damage.

Note that a Defense mod increase of 10% will not increase your armor by 10% but a much lower amount. Basically it is trial and error to see how the armor stat changes.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    1 point of defense is equivalent to approximately (it varies to character) .11% armor
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    Furthermore you can get more total survivablity from a singular 2 set hp mod than the full 6 mods defense
  • Options
    I tried here.
  • Options
    I have Fives with three 5 dot health mods that boost defense by 8% at level 10. This appears to do absolutely nothing to actually boost my character. My friends Fives which is the same in every way other than he's got 1 dot mods has more overall power than mine. I just don't understand that.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Options
    Based on % itemization, each 1% of health gained is more valuable that each 1% of defense in almost all practical situations. The only exception is Cody due to his massive boost to defense as leader (flat defense is actually more valuable than flat protection).
  • Options
    OK that clears it up somewhat. So basically mods that boost defense are completely worthless unless used on Cody?
  • Options
    Unless you have a defense mod that gives speed, critical chance or critical damage. I have some of those and the rare mods are still useful.