Why are Offense mods so useless?

For such a negligible set bonus why does it require 4 mods for a paltry 10% offense increase? Has anyone calculated the net result of maxing crit damage vs offense mods? I can tell at a glance its substantially more.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Aniema
    602 posts Member
    Options
    I run offense mods on Rey/Anakin and QgJ. They are the 5* ones. Plus 30 speed arrows. Plus 36 crit damage triangles. Square plus offense and circle protection ones. I dig them. They are a lot better than anyone thinks.

When I seen my Anakin AoE for over 20k is what made me a believer.
  • Options
    Yes, I have, it comes down to your crit. chance - and you are wrong with your assumption crit. damage is always better. Roughly said: if your crit. chance is below 40% you better go for damage mods - but of course, this not true in all circumstances.

Another point besides pure math: crit. damage depends on crit. chance and you may have a series of "bad RNG" - so what is better ? +30% crit.damage you don't get, or +10% damage you get with every attack? When the overall average damage is more or less equal, you may want to stay with damage mods.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    Aniema wrote: »
    I run offense mods on Rey/Anakin and QgJ. They are the 5* ones. Plus 30 speed arrows. Plus 36 crit damage triangles. Square plus offense and circle protection ones. I dig them. They are a lot better than anyone thinks.

Offense mod set? Crit damage and crit chance is far superior on Anakin and Rey. For QGJ I'd say potency is better and maybe even tenacity so he can resist Old Ben and dispel Han.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    Since it requires 4 pieces to get the Set-Bonus, one would expect it to give +15 % or at least 12.5 % instead of a paltry +10.
  • Options
    I would say crit damage is better in almost every circumstance, especially if you combine it with crit chance from secondaries and your other set bonus
  • Options
    I think it depends on the character crit chance. I was watching some theory-crafting on LordSkunk and they showed the math and it was something like, if crit chance was 40%+ then crit damage were better, if less than 40% crit chance or possibly offense mods. I haven't unlocked them yet to even begin to play around with but what they presented seemed reasonable.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm not saying they are worth it at the current value, but one reason might be because offense up effects all damage dealt. Wait for 7* then see where they are used. The extra 10% might actually make a difference when added to the final value of a 7* offensive mod
  • Options
    There are a lot of factors and honestly there are cases when you have over 40% crit chance where Offense Mods are still better.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/57686/how-to-tell-when-critical-damage-mod-set-bonus-is-better-than-offense-mod-set-bonus#latest

In general, critical damage mod set bonus is better, but there a lot of commonly used characters (Rey) for which it is likely that Offense would be best. Also, when combined with other bonuses, it gets less likely crit damage mods are better...
  • Aniema
    602 posts Member
    Options
    tRRRey wrote: »
    Aniema wrote: »

Offense mod set? Crit damage and crit chance is far superior on Anakin and Rey. For QGJ I'd say potency is better and maybe even tenacity so he can resist Old Ben and dispel Han.

Yeah offense mod set. I got lucky and got 3 5* crit damage triangle mods with various secondary stats.
    Those three triangles I equipped them on Anakin,Qgj and Rey. The one with higher potency secondary stats I use on Qgj along with potency cross primary mods. They don't always resist old Ben but the damage from the offense set mixed with crit damage is sweet that those OldBen,RG,STH,Rey and Qgj teams don't give me much of a fight.
  • Kevo
    39 posts Member
    Options
    What stats does offense increase? Is it across the board +10%?
  • Options
    Aachthor wrote: »
    Yes, I have, it comes down to your crit. chance - and you are wrong with your assumption crit. damage is always better. Roughly said: if your crit. chance is below 40% you better go for damage mods - but of course, this not true in all circumstances.

Another point besides pure math: crit. damage depends on crit. chance and you may have a series of "bad RNG" - so what is better ? +30% crit.damage you don't get, or +10% damage you get with every attack? When the overall average damage is more or less equal, you may want to stay with damage mods.

I appreciate that advice. I was going to stack Lando with crit chance mods because I don't have all 5 jawa yet. I know lando is the exception to the rule, as is leia (probably do want to place crit damage mods on them), but until such time, you're right: rather have a chance every attack to apply crit damage then rely on RNG to pop a nice crit damage.

I'm sure my tune will change after I get my last two Jawas up to par.

• Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    On the other hand, RNG makes win you fights on defense, not expected damage output.

For example, you loose your battles because the opponent had a crazy RNG on evasion, or critical hits, not because his characters landed consistently 10% than usual higher damage. Another example is AA assist calls order (Leia, STH (gains TM), AA (gains TM) and Leia, followed by double hit special from Buffed Rey). Or ability block when you have to hit STH.

The point is although you can have a lower expected damage output, the variance with crit damage is higher and better for defense as RNG is your best ally.
  • Tronixi
    58 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Got +4 Offense set 5* on Ani and no regrets. Overall doing very well on defence also. Crit damage is nice but then you need 50+ crit chance to actually consistently use that potential. Also dont forget Ani lead gives another offense and crit damage (jedi + clones).
    When i got over 100 offense as secondary on ONLY one offense set mod i realized how much people underrate this set. Triangle mod of course i have crit damage already.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Options
    Offense mods also only buff base offense. Crit damage mods include the contribution from offense bonuses from mods as well as base offense.