[iN] Why it's OK to Spend Money on Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes

Prev13
Stormy
951 posts Member
edited February 2016
Some friendly reading on comparing game prices and a possible new perspective on spending money on this growing game ;)

-> Why it's OK to Spend Money on Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes <-

Thank you,
Stormy
Team Instinct
Post edited by Stormy on

Replies

• Options
    It's OK NOT to spend money, too :wink:
  • Options
    A person should spend money as they please. I'm thankful that because of people that spend money this game is able to grow and have more content , and people that don't spend anything are as important to create a community. I love this game because I can do anything a P2W can except a P2W can do it on a more accelerated pace. There's nothing wrong with that because they should except an advantage if they even just pay a dollar :)
  • Options
    I generally agree. But the value of the investment is subjective so to give an objective score is meaningless.
  • Keyzer_Soze
    117 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That's sneaky. And not true. This a game who's existence is to make money through a delicate balance of having enough players willing to spend an extreme amount vs. everyone else, regardless if they spend nothing, 20$ or 1000$. It's well established that gaming apps derive 50% of their revenue from the top 1% of players. Those players are unlikely to frequent forums.

@Stormy if you are looking to earn some cash through referrals, you're going to be looking for a new job. You need to get a StayAlive77 to make an app work. Game of War being a prime example.

Free or moderate spending players will get their initial gratification, then as the app matures, the top 1% of paying players will get distinct advantages for the money they have spent, as they should. For non 1% players, it's on to the next app and the next instant gratification. There's only a shelf life of two years or so anyway. Unless the devs can hold the 1% playing. They are going to play something, and once an app reaches a certain time since inception, all updates by necessity will cater to them.

Be happy though. This app is just getting started.
  • Options
    why is everything a link to your website with you guys cant you just ctrl X and paste here
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As an avid mtg player for years please don't compare it to this game on any level.

You always have a return on your investment in magic and it's not going away anytime soon.

Also, swgoh is a mobile game. Don't compare it to real AAA games.

The whole "article" is a joke, just like having a guild for a mobile game with no in game team content. o:)
  • Options
    @Stormy
    Your profile pic is funny.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    That's sneaky. And not true. This a game who's existence is to make money through a delicate balance of having enough players willing to spend an extreme amount vs. everyone else, regardless if they spend nothing, 20$ or 1000$. It's well established that gaming apps derive 50% of their revenue from the top 1% of players. Those players are unlikely to frequent forums.

@Stormy if you are looking to earn some cash through referrals, you're going to be looking for a new job. You need to get a StayAlive77 to make an app work. Game of War being a prime example.

Free or moderate spending players will get their initial gratification, then as the app matures, the top 1% of paying players will get distinct advantages for the money they have spent, as they should. For non 1% players, it's on to the next app and the next instant gratification. There's only a shelf life of two years or so anyway. Unless the devs can hold the 1% playing. They are going to play something, and once an app reaches a certain time since inception, all updates by necessity will cater to them.

Be happy though. This app is just getting started.

Not really true. Whales are gonna whale no matter what. Mobile games continue on the average spender. This is why games like Puzzles and Dragons, Clash of the Clans, Candy Crush, and Final Fantasy Record Keeper did/are doing so well.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure this game compares to a AAA title on console or PC.

I played WoW back in the day and for $15 a month I got a lot more use and entertainment than GoH can offer at this point in its development.

When making an IAP I just evaluate it against how much entertainment I get out of it. I can justify spending 20 bucks here and there but I don't expect everyone to agree.

It is better than a lot of mobile games and will do well. I agree with the above that the whales drive the monetization of the app.
  • Options
    I enjoy reading and respecting other players opinions- thank you for the initial feedback!
  • AbysmalDarkside
    316 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ofcourse its Okay to you the entire "Team Instinct" (cough cough* Corny name) chugged thousands in to the game a piece. No skill didnt earn any characters simply paid for them. F2P > P2W it gets me hyped when F2P players own P2W players & rank #1 without spending a penny.
  • Options
    Sorry but... what's the point of this ? ^^
  • Options
    Ofcourse its Okay to you the entire "Team Instinct" (cough cough* Corny name) chugged thousands in to the game a piece. No skill didnt earn any characters simply paid for them. F2P > P2W it gets me hyped when F2P players own P2W players & rank #1 without spending a penny.

obviously u cant own anyone lol all u do is get mad and jealous over instinct cuz u can never get in. Baddd noob

• Options
    Rigamorty wrote: »

obviously u cant own anyone lol all u do is get mad and jealous over instinct cuz u can never get in. Baddd noob

I appreciate the guides some of your clan mates put up here.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    Options
    Bottom line... what people do with their money is their own business

What you think of what other people do with their money, is your own business.

Is it important for others to know what you think of other people do with their money?... unless it's your wife/husband/child or parent... it's none of your business!

Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Options
    I have issues with this game but none of them have anything to do with $$.
  • Options
    What people do with their money is their choice. For me personally, I'm not gonna spend thousands because I think it's a waste. If I keep playing (which I expect) I might buy some crystals every now and then or some bundle if it's not that ridiculous price of €100,- :P
    Some people care too much about "PvP" which is PvAI to start with and says nothing about "skill" or being competetive. PvAI is the least thing I'm interested in, concerning this game.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    Some people care too much about "PvP" which is PvAI to start with and says nothing about "skill" or being competetive. PvAI is the least thing I'm interested in, concerning this game.

It says alot about Dedication. Especially if you are F2P and are high in Arena Rankings. It says you spend alot of time during a long period of time managing your resources. Doing this multiple times/day for weeks is Dedication to this game.

Means you have to sacrifice alot of other stuff of your daily life for it, but people haven chosen to do it and the majority gains enjoyment from it. I don't judge, because i also have a competitive side in me, so trying to advance in some race is just a competitive mindset.
  • AdamW
    692 posts Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better. Its your business.
  • ventsel
    56 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    And also...

If I spend $100 on yet another LEGO SW ship, I'll have more lego parts for playing and a ship to infinitely show off.

If I spend $100 on Netflix, I'll get about 10 months of unlimited entertainment.

If I spend $100 in this game, it will be gone without trace in an hour and I'll be left with a bunch of diverse shards I can't chose, toons I can't upgrade without pouring more money in and some useful toons I'll need upgrade for more money. Of course, it is totally ok to do so, but comparisons don't really work so well. We spend money where we want to spend them, nothing wrong with it. But any justification of why other people should spend money as someone else wants - that is wrong.

It really is a matter of perspective, I agree. But to call your perspective an "article" and force people go on your site instead of just posting it here? Come on now! You're just making ad money to spend on this growing game. )
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Kevz57 wrote: »
    A person should spend money as they please. I'm thankful that because of people that spend money this game is able to grow and have more content , and people that don't spend anything are as important to create a community. I love this game because I can do anything a P2W can except a P2W can do it on a more accelerated pace. There's nothing wrong with that because they should except an advantage if they even just pay a dollar :)

Bingo. Which is exactly the main strangth of femium model. You get a broad community with f2p players, and you support the game financially with p2p players
  • Options
    "Why it's ok"

Why do people feel like they need to justify to others if you spend or not?

If you spend money on something you enjoy, good on you.

If you don't spend money on it, for whatever reason, perhaps you don't see the value it in for example, then also good on you, it's entirely your choice.

I'd say that easily the majority of us here are adults and earn the money that we choose to spend or not spend. They can be no greater justification to how you spend your own well earned money than what you deem it worth.

I've played many mobile games, both as p2p and f2p. But not as many mobile games as AAA games, and yet 90% of AAA games don't hook me for a fraction of the time mobile games do.

The game needs both kinds of players. P2P help fund the game and new content. While F2P heavily populate the game, making stats/statistics look good, no one wants to play a dead game, not even most P2P.
  • Options
    @rilokiley1
    Imo that is not true. You don't have to be a no lifer to complete the stuff you can do in this game. On an avg day I spend maybe 1-2 hours (there are times I don't sim). Dedication in my book is like world of warcraft raiding where you have to show up at SET times. If you don't you are kicked out.
    In SW: GoH I can do this at server reset and the next 24h. For me personally this isn't dedication.
    The only dedication here is sniping to top *fill in your number* in Arena divided over only 5 battles a day.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    God I wish the mods would ban external links trying to gain views.
  • Options
    Instinct needs to stop desperately trying to plug their site.
  • Options
    I spend $30 a week, strictly on energy refills! Bugger all if u ask me, for a weeks worth of enjoyment
  • Options
    Instinct needs to stop desperately trying to plug their site.

trust me they dont need site plugging, its the last thing. arent u suppose to be banned anyway?

• Options
    Anzial wrote: »
    It's OK NOT to spend money, too :wink:

In the harsh world that we live in, it really is not OK not to spend money on something ppl have worked very hard on. I don't suppose the devs were born rich enough to work for free, I mean born rich and work :lol:! No offense to the born rich guys, I was one, but had to work up due to the travesties of fate, ha!

Sentiments like these have sprouted the atrocious rates charged for IAP business models where the privileged and dedicated few are charged for the multitude of "free" players.

It works great but I still would prefer the older way where everyone would pay a lot more reasonable amount and get access to equal opportunities in game. That would really show who's the strategic player and who's not.

But I digress, waiting for energy to refill, already used up my 300 crystals a day. Free is fine as the mobile gaming market stands today. So is spending money to make it free for ones who won't pay. For those who can't, get your head out of the mobile. Work or study so you can, eventually.

Did that sound like your parents a bit :lol:?
  • Options
    Clash of Clans i never touched... For me its like OGame (a Browser game... over 12 years old)
    Battlefront is a game with no content. Unlock some weapons and other stuff that needs about 15-20 hours playtime. But you can play hour after hour after you bought the Game and you have real Multiplayer/coop/pvp

WoW... Dont know how you can compare this with a thin mobilegame but ok...
    WoW has so much Content not like goh and you can buy cosmetic stuff. No weapons etc. and you know what you get for your Money. Its not a gamble like goh. If you spend 100 Bucks on wow you can Play for month without a restriction. You have real Multiplayer/coop/pvp

Magic
    If you spend Money you get something in your hands. Its not Bytes and Bits its real Hardware.
    And you have real pvp at reallife tournaments against People you can see and can shake hands with them.
    You realy cant compare goh with something amazing like this.

Goh
    Its a gamble if you spend Money on packs. You dont know if you get something that you want and to improve the chars you only can get trough the packs you need to spend thousands.
    You have no real Multiplayer/coop/pvp
    Its the worst Gametype to spend Money.

If you want to compare goh with other Games then stick to games like goh. There is a walking dead Game with the same model. Many People left this Game because no content and the high price gamble for chars. There is no real pvp or coop or Multiplayer. Its nice for f2p and nothing more... like goh.

Your Collection in goh is pure luck for the pay chars. Your Collection should be something you can decide on and not gamble for random chars. In all other games you listet you know what you get and that makes your List useless.
    If i spend 2000 bucks on goh i dont know what i get and if i get what i want. In all other Games on your list i cant spend 2000 Bucks or i can say that i want this and that and i know what i get... unlike goh.
    Paying for a f2p mobilegame you cant play unlimited time without spending more is something nobody should do.
    Give goh a subscription for 5-10 bucks a month for unlimited energy (no sim Tickets included) make every char buyable for 5-15 bucks and bring more content and real turnbased pvp and iam ready to pay. But i never would spend Money on such a thin Game like goh where my only option is to gamble for new chars or buy overprived charpacks for chars i only can use if i have energy or spend more Money for that Energy.
    If i buy a Char in LoL or something simular i can Play with the Char 24/7 if i want. In goh i need to burn more Money to let the Game going and this after i bought a Char for a lot of Money. And this is the reason i would never spend Money on this kind of mobilegames. Nothing have a singleprice. Its a all double or tripple priced and you need to spend more than the regular 10-60 bucks like a normal Game costs and this for a game that has no real content and is literaly singleplayer where you feel realy lonly.
  • Options
    Why can't one of us copy and paste the article here while giving the author credit?
    Ally code: 323-282-152. Member of TNR. The New Rebellion
This discussion has been closed.