MOD Builds: STH & Palpy (Let's Discuss)

Hello All,

Like many of you, I have unlocked Palpatine this week. Perhaps like you, I am wondering how to use him in arena. Leader with Vader/RG, or use him as supporting cast in another build? What I'm personally leaning towards, is trying:

Palpy (L)
Vader
RG
STH
Someone TBD (Rey, Daka, Leia, or QGJ, most likely)

The only issue, is, I haven't used Palpy or STH in arena yet. They are going to be geared/starred/leveled appropriately. But, they won't have any mods on them. I'll either have to farm new ones, or pull mods from my current arena team.

With this in mind, what would be the best set of mods to run on each character? I know speed secondaries are key, and likely Potency/Speed/Crit Damage/Protection primaries will be what to aim for when I can. But, from a set perspective, what would work best?

I've heard speedy STH is awesome, but do you need speed mods for that? 4 Speed mods + 2 Health Mods and hope/wait for great rolls? I've seen our resident Instinct member running full potency mods on STH. Would that be a better route to take for the sake of TM reduction? Just roll until you get +10 speed secondaries or better?

Does Palpy need extra potency at G10? Or should I go speed/health there as well? He obviously needs a speed bump to avoid getting destroyed first. Are full health mods with speed attributes the way to go? Or is a speed set needed?

Replies

• scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    2 good ways to go.
    STH the fastest on your team. He will taunt and push all other characters to 100% or close to 100% TM, allows slower charaters to get going faster.

Make Both EP and STH the fastest with EP slightly faster than STH.
    EP will stun 3-5 characters with opening move and gain 60-100% TM
    STH goes taunts and gives him another 30%

Note: Won't really work on droid teams because probably won't be able to beat JE speed.
  • Options
    If Ackbar is your leader, and you are luckier than the Droid players on your leaderboard, stacking STH to make EP stun first is crazy good. Just have the firepower to back up that amazing start. Lando and Anakin would work nicely, so would Lando and Wedge I suppose.
  • Options
    EP and STH both have a slow speed base, 122 and 126, so Speed Mod sets would only give them 12.2 and 12.6 speed increase as the set bonus is calculated off the base character speed only. They will need an arrow mod with speed as the primary stat plus speed as secondary from all mods to go fast. I would say go Potency set for EP and HP set for STH.
  • TheKevinlyFather
    214 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    2 good ways to go.
    STH the fastest on your team. He will taunt and push all other characters to 100% or close to 100% TM, allows slower charaters to get going faster.

Make Both EP and STH the fastest with EP slightly faster than STH.
    EP will stun 3-5 characters with opening move and gain 60-100% TM
    STH goes taunts and gives him another 30%

Note: Won't really work on droid teams because probably won't be able to beat JE speed.

I a big fan of frustrating stuns (running Daka at the moment). So I really like Option 2. I'll shoot for that and see if I can't get Vader a bit of speed too. Might be able to get 6 turns in a row between Palpy/STH/Vader!

Droids don't concern me much. There are a few on our shard but they can be easily avoided. Or, worst case scenario, I can put my current team in and have a go at them.
  • Options
    Well, my server isn't full of batshet crazy speed mods. I have Palpatine at 190 speed. And STH at 173 speed. I loaded my Palpatine with protection and health set mods cause that's all I got 5 starred.. He's got around 35k hp and protection, excluding the 32 pct from his lead. I use Palpatine lead, Han, RG, Rey and qui gon. Somehow it's been working I don't remember dropping past 10 in the past 3 or 4 days.

I feel like everyone always dispels Han. So I secretly gave him a crit damage mod, and some crit chance set mods. He can put up some solid damage numbers, I seen him crit for 10k with offense up.
  • Options
    Well, my server isn't full of batshet crazy speed mods. I have Palpatine at 190 speed. And STH at 173 speed. I loaded my Palpatine with protection and health set mods cause that's all I got 5 starred.. He's got around 35k hp and protection, excluding the 32 pct from his lead. I use Palpatine lead, Han, RG, Rey and qui gon. Somehow it's been working I don't remember dropping past 10 in the past 3 or 4 days.

I feel like everyone always dispels Han. So I secretly gave him a crit damage mod, and some crit chance set mods. He can put up some solid damage numbers, I seen him crit for 10k with offense up.

Nice! Yea, that's why I've avoided STH up to this point. RG's taunt is pretty easily worked around and STH can be dispelled. Kinda want to give him a go though to see what the hype is about. Have you tried tossing in Vader to your comp? I have him at 84/85 and a couple pieces away from Gear 10. Kinda wanted to put him in there. If QGJ is better, though, no point in fixing something that isn't broken!
  • Options
    Donkay wrote: »
    EP and STH both have a slow speed base, 122 and 126, so Speed Mod sets would only give them 12.2 and 12.6 speed increase as the set bonus is calculated off the base character speed only. They will need an arrow mod with speed as the primary stat plus speed as secondary from all mods to go fast. I would say go Potency set for EP and HP set for STH.

Kind of what I was wondering with the speed mods. I mean, 15 speed is nice. But, is it worth missing out on a health or potency bonus? Both of those only take 2 slots, so you're missing out on 2 bonuses there per toon. With speed secondaries being a thing, was kind of wondering how critical speed mods were.
  • Options
    If Ackbar is your leader, and you are luckier than the Droid players on your leaderboard, stacking STH to make EP stun first is crazy good. Just have the firepower to back up that amazing start. Lando and Anakin would work nicely, so would Lando and Wedge I suppose.

No Lando, Anakin, or Wedge for me :(. Lando is in the works, though (I think 4 stars G7). Will get back to work on him, after any potential mod farming!
  • Options
    Speed StHan is very important.
  • Options
    Soooo, with all the feedback, here's what I think I'm going to work towards:

Palpy: Full Health Mods
    122 Base Speed
    + 30 Speed Arrow
    + 38 Speed from Secondaries
    = 190 Total Speed

STH: Speed Mods x4 / Health Mods x2
    126 Base Speed
    +30 Speed Arrow
    +13 Speed from Mod Set Bonus
    + 20 Speed from Secondaries
    = 189 Total Speed

I think I will be able to make this mostly work with my current mods, but will need more speed arrows (don't we all). Eventually, if I can make up the +13 speed for STH through secondaries on another set, I'll switch from speed mods to something else like crit damage, health, or potency.

I know it's not a top tier set of characters, but hopefully it's enough to be annoying :). TY all!
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    I've been running this duo for 2 full days now and breeze by opponents but I've seen 1 huge counter and can think of a few more. Han Solo obvious and je/droid. But an ackbar/leia(superfast)/Rey kills my team.
    I've been running palpi/sf/sth/Rey/GS or lando/STH/palpi/Annakin/sf
  • Options
    the problem is that as everybody tries to get speed mods/speed on mods, all of this resets back to baseline.

speed is king again, so if a team w/ rey or wiggs has the same speed set, they will go first and can ruin the plan.

I am kind of liking wedge (L), biggs, lando, then EP and sun fac. I guess you can sub stHan for sun fac but the great thing is that sun fac dispells a taunt if EP does not land his shock first. if other team has StHan, your EP will shock all (I believe) on defense before doing the basic to prevent enemy StHan from taunting

• Options
    Arrow speed primaries on Han, palpy n Vader. Keep han n vader as close as possible on the speed. If other team qgj goes first, hope ya dont get ko'ed. If not n even if he does, vader ability block (basic)on qgj (against jedi all but guaranteed) n pop han taunt. The rest is all to easy. Throw in rg (potency) stun next round on qgj

Palpy lead, potency like a ****.
    Vader, potency n whatev
    Rg, the usual
    Han, whatev
    Lando, lando stuff

Im severly out geared in my server but have little probs in top 20. My two cents
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Ibonedleia wrote: »
    Arrow speed primaries on Han, palpy n Vader. Keep han n vader as close as possible on the speed. If other team qgj goes first, hope ya dont get ko'ed. If not n even if he does, vader ability block (basic)on qgj (against jedi all but guaranteed) n pop han taunt. The rest is all to easy. Throw in rg (potency) stun next round on qgj

Palpy lead, potency like a ****.
    Vader, potency n whatev
    Rg, the usual
    Han, whatev
    Lando, lando stuff

Im severly out geared in my server but have little probs in top 20. My two cents

Palps and RG don't need potency via mods if running palpy lead.
    Plan will have 79% potency
    RG will have 70% potency

That will handle up to 85% tenacity, which most don't use mods to get.

Now with all the palpy leads may want to give sth and Han potency
  • Options
    I like bringing a hammer to kill a fly. Overkill? Maybe but palpy has never not stunned at the least 3 (rarely), usually 4 n from time to time all.

Why try for 50/50 odds? Most on my server have rey tenacious as hell. Same w qgj
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Ibonedleia wrote: »
    I like bringing a hammer to kill a fly. Overkill? Maybe but palpy has never not stunned at the least 3 (rarely), usually 4 n from time to time all.

Why try for 50/50 odds? Most on my server have rey tenacious as hell. Same w qgj

its not 50-50 odds

Chance to resist can not be reduced past 15% even if you have 1000% potency you still have a 15% chance to be resisted.

The only time he is gonna need more than 79% potency is if you are facing opponents with 94% or higher tenacity. Which is probably .0001% of the charater base if any. So it is a waste of a Primary stat.

I have seen my low tenacity, 20-30%, characters resist EP and RG stun both of them being over 100% potency
  • TheKevinlyFather
    214 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yea, I imagine he will be just fine with a potency cross (already have). Even without his leader ability, he already has more potency than my RG. And my RG stuns like a boss in arena. I have also been using Palpy in GW and he stuns at least 3 people every time. I think the lack of stuns is more due to the 70% stun rate & built in 15% chance to resist. After running him a bit, I have no potency concerns for Palpatine.
    Post edited by TheKevinlyFather on
  • Options
    On a related note, I have been farming health mods strictly for the last two days. I already have a +30 speed arrow, a +15 speed (secondary) circle, and a +14 speed (secondary) square. Couple more speed secondaries and ol' Palpy will be ready to roll!
  • Options
    I run 205 speed EP with Vader RG Han Solo and Rey
    Han opens with Stun. Rey goes, AoE stun goes. Han special into Han buffs party, Vader Aoe, Culling... EP shocks... Its pretty much over by than
  • Options
    Sounds like a nice squad! I won't probably be able to test mine for another week or so. Gotta level up Palpy and mods first. I am getting pretty excited to give him a go, though. I think it's going to wreck on offense!
  • Options
    @Donkay I have a few speed mods that give +30 speed alone. So you can make them super fast with RNG luck.
  • Options
    Trying him kinda early, but so far still great results. Haven't slipped past 35, despite speed being a bit low and health mods not fully leveled. Also still have a slow Han, and need to finish his mods. Should be in great shape once done!

SQLOwHJ.png
  • Options
    Potency works without the need for a potency set :)

di1qric.jpg