Why do several "tanks" not have taunts?

I was just scrolling through some of the threads this morning and it got me wondering again - why are there tanks that don't have taunts? This is just innocent curiosity mind you, I'm looking for that "oh, that makes sense" moment lol.

I saw a thread about using a first order team - which was shot down because of a lack of taunting tank (despite having the First Order Stormtrooper).

I've seen threads about jedi and clone teams - which ultimately end with them not being as viable due to lacking a taunt, all the while Plo Koon, fives, and obi wan exist.

And in the arena I see droid teams splicing in STH and royal guard - all the while IG-100 is hanging out on the side lines.

I feel like more than half of the "tank" characters are benched simply because...they can't tank? Was this a design decision? If so, why might that be? Any time I personally see any of the above characters i just ignore them the whole fight and finish them off once the actual threats are dealt with - it seems, like an unfortunate loss of options? I'm not sure they'd even need to be universal taunts like some of the current ones, but even some faction based passives or conditions ones would bring some parties to life I would think?

Replies

• Options
    I'm not surprised nobody has replied; I don't think the answer is immediately apparent!

Several characters are indeed classed as a "tank" whilst not being what we as players understand as a tank. I think that word in the context of this game means quite simply, a high HP & Protection, defensive character, with support buffs and weak attack.

I can't think of many cases where one of these tauntless tanks has a place in an arena team because of his buffs. I suppose the obvious exception is Fives - he doesn't hit like a wet lettuce and is an exceptionally durable counter-attacker. True, FOST has a counter, but is a hard farm and arguably doesn't have the flexibility that Fives has.

Ultimately, the role of a tank in most games has to be to protect the weaker party members (the damage dealers) long enough to win. If a tank can't do that, they better be bringing something else pretty significant to the table, or else remain benched.

PS IG-100 is very good indeed, I hear!
  • opu120
    211 posts Member
    Options
    B2 is, along with RG, arguably the most useful tank in the game, and B2 doesn't have a taunt. If you ignore B2 the whole fight, you'll pay the price.

And as @SifuSteve has argued compellingly, 100 is a much better tank on a droid squad than RG or StH. Another one which if ignored, you'll pay the price.

Taunting is one of several useful abilities for a tank, but I wouldn't discount others to the same end: a defensive character that provides value to the team in buffs rather than damage, and enables DPS toons to do their job better.