Mods stats analysis: Set / Main / Secondary

Tiggus
766 posts Member
After all the controversy raging on whether some mods stats are over the top or at least unbalanced, I did a full analysis of all mods stats for each type of mod.

Conclusions
  1. As expected, the Speed set bonus is totally underwhelming compared to what can be had with its Main / Secondary counterparts.
  2. But this is also true for Protection (although there is no set bonus, I used Health's instead). Protection is consistently better than Health by at least a factor of 2.
  3. Secondary as % values are always worse than their absolute value counterpart (e.g. health +1% vs health +350), and especially so for offense (offense +0.4% is joke compared to offense +40)
  4. I won't go on comparing apples to oranges and pretend that Speed bonuses are better than Tenacity ones, but...
  5. Given how those values impact the actual mechanics of a battle (or sometimes so little...), I'd say the combination of (currently) useful Mods is really tiny in proportion to the whole range that's out there. I'd say the only sets that are worth considering are Critical Damage, Offense (maybe) and Potency.

Note that in most cases, the set bonus is really no more than the cherry on the cake, yet it's the only thing that we get to choose (as in "choose" after levelling up a whole squad of that faction)... It's like going to the bakery and say "I'd like to buy a cake with a raspberry on the top", and you get a random cake (small, large, fruity, creamy, chocolaty,...) under your raspberry.
Oh true, or you can pick a cake in the display and buy it for the price of a car.

dp2htWS.png

Key

The first table makes it easy to compare as I scaled all values to (set bonus = 100).

The second table includes the actual values (see below)

The third table shows the values I've used, from my limited, but probably not far-off, sampling. Some secondary values might be slightly under the actual max possible.

Computations

For each possible mod stat (offense, health, speed,...), I compared the bonus you get from a single mod's set, main and secondary boosts (these are all for 5 dots mods only):
  1. The set bonus is taken at max (15) level, and re-scaled to 1 single mod (e.g. half the bonus for health, or a quarter for speed)
  2. The main stat is taken at max (15) level
  3. The secondary stat value is from a single initial value (or upgrade). With luck, secondary stats can stack-up, up to (with extreme luck) 5 times this value: initial + 4 upgrades.
  4. I used an average fully maxed toon (more or less Phasma) for turning % values into actual ones for better comparison (See under the column "sample toon"). Using another toon won't affect the values by much, unless he's far from maxed (protection becomes much less relevant at lower gear levels).
☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/