Remove the "Someone is already engaged with you in a battle" message??

It's quite frustrating when you are trying to battle your way down in Arena ranking before the deadline and you keep getting the message saying that you can't attack someone because someone else is already battling you. Now - I understand that the reason why this is here is because of the following scenario:

I'm rank #10 so someone in rank #16 attacks me to take the 10th spot. In the meantime, I attack rank #7 to try to move down. If we both won, effectively the person who was in rank #7 would get bumped back to #16.

I understand that's not ideal for the person who was rank #7...but it's also not ideal that someone can start a battle at 5 minutes before the deadline and let it just sit there and run the full allotted time, effectively rendering you helpless to wait and see if they win or not - while also not even being able to try to continue lowering your rank.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to work this out in a way that's reasonably fair to both players - or am I alone in being frustrated by this?

Replies

• Options
    Spend crystals non stop :neutral:
  • Options
    They'd probably need to redo the whole PvP system.
  • Options
    I'm sure there would be some coding changes necessary, obviously...but it shouldn't be too hard to remove the block that's on there, stopping you from engaging in a battle while being attacked. Like I said, though, there are flaws with that idea...so not sure what a suitable work-around would be.

And yes - you can spend crystals non-stop, but it's a very self-defeating method. Most of the time you're not going to be able to move down far enough to justify spending the crystals - unless you're on an ego trip and really just want that higher spot :-P
  • Options
    It's even worse when you pay the 50 crystals at 17:55 to snipe #1 and someone is already fighting you :smile: Ending up at 11th place at 18:00
  • Options
    Stay at #1 and you only can drop 3 places.
  • DarkAgeOutlaw
    31 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the current system, but your fix seems worse to me. You could get a chain of 5 people fighting at the same time and the top person could go from 5th to 60th in less than 5 minutes.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    always thought a point based system would be better, allowing the freedom to attack whomever, whenever you wish and at payout, the player with the highest daily points gets rank 1, etc.
    mighty chlorians
  • Kyuu2
    112 posts Member
    Options
    I think an easy fix (bandaid till a revamp of pvp) would be
    1) Can't use crystals to bypass 10 minute wait timer.
    2) Rank 11-20 should allow a max movement of 4-5 above, rather than 9.
    3) When you defeat an opponent, it moves you to their slot and everyone between goes down 1 rank.

The first would prevent others from having any opportunity to counter your attack and would also make considering when to start your match before awards a heavy consideration.

The second would prevent players from hopping from 11th to 2nd, which doesn't make sense since players rank 10 have to go from 10 -> 7 -> 4 -> 1.

The third would make it so players lose rank a lot more gradual rather than large shifts. The (arguably) downside of this is that high powered/good defensive teams may lose more ranks per day due to being more likely to have been ignored/win defenses over easier prey.
  • Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the current system, but your fix seems worse to me. You could get a chain of 5 people fighting at the same time and the top person could go from 5th to 60th in less than 5 minutes.

This type of chain would be the problem with not being blocked out when you're being attacked. Neither way is perfect.

Otherwise, it would be something if you could actually defend yourself if you're online. That would create other issues - such as the defending player being able to just go slow and time the match out...or there being no time limit and both players being to just hold their ranks indefinitely...but like I said - some alternative would be better.

@reizse - I think the problem with a points system is that high level players would just decimate everyone early on by paying to farm a high attack team - and then no one would be able to catch them in that bracket.

@Kyuu2 - not being able to pay to avoid the 'cool down' wouldn't really help with the issue I mentioned - and I'm sure CG likes the extra crystals being spent. I agree, though, it doesn't make sense that you have more choices when you are rank 12 than you do when you are rank 10 and under...but I don't think bumping every down 1 would be good. Yes - it would limit how much you can fall...somewhat. You would only fall 1 when you lose - but also 1 every time someone else below you lost to anyone higher than you - not to mention there are some soft accounts in my bracket's top 20 - if I lose some spots over night and end up closer to 20 rank I'd be frustrated if I was getting bumped back for every other account that loses below me.
  • Options
    I think that the best way to make a change is to give you rewards for the highest rank you reach that day rather than specifically at 6pm local
  • Options
    Ethanesus wrote: »
    I think that the best way to make a change is to give you rewards for the highest rank you reach that day rather than specifically at 6pm local
    This
    Hodor
  • Options
    Climb to top 5...less fight there...unless you aim for #1..
  • Options

+1
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options

This would solve the problem...but I don't think they'd go for it since they would be giving away multiple higher awards
  • Options
    akositzke wrote: »
    It's quite frustrating when you are trying to battle your way down in Arena ranking before the deadline and you keep getting the message saying that you can't attack someone because someone else is already battling you. Now - I understand that the reason why this is here is because of the following scenario:

I'm rank #10 so someone in rank #16 attacks me to take the 10th spot. In the meantime, I attack rank #7 to try to move down. If we both won, effectively the person who was in rank #7 would get bumped back to #16.

I understand that's not ideal for the person who was rank #7...but it's also not ideal that someone can start a battle at 5 minutes before the deadline and let it just sit there and run the full allotted time, effectively rendering you helpless to wait and see if they win or not - while also not even being able to try to continue lowering your rank.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to work this out in a way that's reasonably fair to both players - or am I alone in being frustrated by this?

I proposed a solution that allow tou to engage while being engaged. Younstill can't battle someone being challenged, but yu can battle anyone even if someone wants tour spot. Hiw it works?

Someone attacks you. The outcome is still to be defined. If both you and your challenger wins, the person you challenged goes to the spot your challenger had prior to attacking you. He takes your original spot, and tou take the one of the person yo just beat. Any ither case is trivial:

You lost attack? Then whiever challenged you will take your spot, or leave things unchanged.

Your challenger lost? Then it's as if he never attacked. You stay the same, or win the new postion you challenged.

Follow me?
  • Options
    I follow but dislike this idea. If I'm rank 10 and get attacked once I could possibly move from top 10 to outside top 20 in 1 fight if it was a chain like this. Possibly much farther.

The way I see it is its fine as is. If you wanna try sniping, being sniped is a risk you take. Or you fight early and trust your defenses
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    once everyone reaches lvl 70, it would equalize with the exception of players who are paying to refresh...so they're essentially doing the same thing as now, except refreshing more since points aren't capped, let the whales outpay each other. i would rather have fun by getting to attack whenever i want, rather than attempting to snipe with limited accessibility just to rank higher.
    mighty chlorians
  • Options
    I like the new arena gameplay now...take a risk or lose your rank...if its not like that, then its so easy to climb without any interferences..
  • Options

+1

but they will never do that bec of greed
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    Options
    pvp needs changed anyway. Can't stand this, hey you gotta play our game at 5:35-5:55 to play SNIPE WARS. For one SNIPE WARS is just plain stupid. And some people have to do stuff like work or any number of other real life stuff but if you want any goodies in our game you have to be on at the afore mentioned time to play SNIPE WARS.

think we can figure out something a little more dynamic and fun? And i'm not sure about anyone else but it gets abit old fighting against the exact same small number of people everyday who use the exact same squad build day after day. Eventually the meta/characters will be such that there aren't only a handful of squad builds that will work at the upper end of Arena. If you can't go before Poe(and his meter down) and Phasma(and her meter down) and obi wan(and his meter down).......seeing a pattern here? yeah that's because that is 3 characters i'm constantly seeing in pvp. now i'd probly be able to deal with this with my jedi character by building a squad that can act before their meters get brutalized, oh wait I can't because Qui-gon's team leadership ability doesn't actually effect the team on the first round unlike any other leadership ability. If It did I wouldn't much care about poe because i'd have a full jedi squad acting before his clowny lil back side and pile drive him and the pilot before Poe and his cronies can lock down your meters :)

• Options
    The system could be "worse" it could be one set reward time globally, so only one rank 1 position available ;).
  • Options
    The system could be "worse" it could be one set reward time globally, so only one rank 1 position available ;).

I agree. I am very glad that it is per your local timezone. I think there are 3 others in the top 10, though, who are in my same timezone...at least they seem to be since they are moving down the same time I am. Wish we could talk with people in our bracket and coordinate! I won't knock down your rank during your award time, you don't knock down mine during my award time. If we are in the same time, then we will just try to stay clear of each other.
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    Options

don't got giving them any bad ideas now :(

yeah it definatly could be worse, but it can certainly get better if they are willing to give it a try :)
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    Options

I agree. I am very glad that it is per your local timezone. I think there are 3 others in the top 10, though, who are in my same timezone...at least they seem to be since they are moving down the same time I am. Wish we could talk with people in our bracket and coordinate! I won't knock down your rank during your award time, you don't knock down mine during my award time. If we are in the same time, then we will just try to stay clear of each other.

if I get what you implying there....now that could be interesting. We're on the same rank listing effecting each others ranks but we're individually trying to attain rank for rewards at possibly I different times as some of the same people in the same bracket? interesting :)
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    r2steve2 wrote: »
    This

No way lol its easy to win 5 battles but if u dont finish at rank "x" then you dont deserve rewards for rank "x"
  • Options
    Lokai wrote: »

if I get what you implying there....now that could be interesting. We're on the same rank listing effecting each others ranks but we're individually trying to attain rank for rewards at possibly I different times as some of the same people in the same bracket? interesting :)

Exactly. I'm sure over half of the people in my top 10 are in different time zones because they are never battling when I am...but a few hours later they always make their move back to the top. Too bad we can't coordinate!