Why does Vader suck?

Prev1
With how difficult you're making it for us to acquire a maxed Vader, why is he so weak? He hits like Obi or Barriss. Come on, JKA is awesome, but Vader isn't good at all comparatively. Thought he was supposed to one of the baddest dudes from the movie. He should be more powerful than JKA! His CB attack is the only thing halfway decent about him, his aoe is ok but nothing compared to many other toons.
He needs a major tune up!

Replies

• Options
    Dude, he seems weak, but he can do some serious damage if you know how to use him. Also, it might help if you upgrade his attacks.
  • Options
    KingBrando wrote: »
    Dude, he seems weak, but he can do some serious damage if you know how to use him. Also, it might help if you upgrade his attacks.
    Still weak! He should be more powerful than JKA, Lando, and more, but he isn't. EP would smoke him and Vader killed him.......
    23r5v01.png
  • Imbicatus
    255 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Omega force crush and culling blade, then come back.

Not to mention the compete uselessness of defense mods.
  • slothe
    221 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Imbicatus wrote: »
    Plenty of people in my guild have all of his attacks omegaed and some almost have 7* but he is still just flat. There are so many better toons to choose from and with how difficult he is to acquire he should be a lot better than he is. He is basically a tank without taunt that is just there to get hit. In the time it takes for cool downs on CB and his aoe Lando would've smoked every toon standing. My Lando's aoe can hit for over 20k a toon on his 3rd attempt. Only want to see Vader get the power he deserves.
  • Options
    I guess what I'm really getting at is that acquiring Vader is based on how much time we put into the game, a reward so to speak. I would hate to see that reward be a toon that is rarely used, because others are better.
    I just want to see a boost in his power, his basic should crit for over 10k, not the current 5k. Fix that at least! He is one of, if not the most, loved characters from the movies, also one of the deadliest. As a Vader fan, I want the Vader we all know and like. A force choke move would be cool too, but boosting his basic attack power is the most important thing that Vader needs. For how much time we dedicate to this game and our guilds, please strengthen Vader.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I didn't know getting you limbs cut off being burnt to a crisp and then becoming the emperors puppet while having to be hooked up to a machine for the rest of your life made you so much better? He does deserve a buff but not too much not another meta changing buff.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    r8CQbuw.jpg
  • slothe
    221 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    His basic attack is my main concern. Even if they left everything else alone, fix the basic. Not looking for Meta.

First of all, when Obi defeated him, he was only an apprentice.

Are you saying Vader was weak because he had robotic limbs, lol. Ok let me explain, in the movie Star Wars there was this thing called the Force, Vader was supposed to be the strongest ever and he was supposed to bring balance to the force........Now, a lot of people believe that it was Luke and not Vader that was the chosen one and that Luke defeated Emp. P, but last I checked Vader killed EP and himself in the process.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    Refresh all cooldowns on a kill... Or even a percent chance to do so... It would make him top tier instantly
  • Options
    Vader becomes a monster with the Emperor as lead, gets a massive 32 percent boost to
    his overall health, recovers 20 percent of hp and meter per debuff, that's right, a single
    debuff will restore that much, imagine using force crush, which applies 3 debuffs(or 4 if you
    maxed force crush) to an entire squad. If the enemy whittled Vader to the point of death, one
    simple force crush recovers all of his health and he gets a free turn to boot to use culling
    blade, if that killed someone, another free turn, that's three turns in one. Get Vader's speed as high as you can and he'll shine like no other in you squad.
  • Options
    slothe wrote: »
    Are you saying Vader was weak because he had robotic limbs, lol. Ok let me explain, in the movie Star Wars there was this thing called the Force,

Actually, his robotic limbs limited him from using his true power. He had less of his own natural life force to connect with the Force. Though still very powerful in the dark side, weakened.

Yes Luke was weakened when he lost his hand too.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Vader is meta with emperor lead imo. I can't understand why you're saying he is weak.

EDIT: your Vader is only 5 star
  • Options
    Alexone wrote: »
    Vader is meta with emperor lead imo. I can't understand why you're saying he is weak.

EDIT: your Vader is only 5 star

Uh, stars are almost meaningless now.........level, stats(mods), and gear level matter a lot more. Those two stars might increase my power 200-400. Not enough for a noticeable difference. And yes I have 7* g9 EP, one gear piece away from g10 and Vader is still disappointing.
  • Options
    MilMuertes wrote: »
    Are you saying Vader was weak because he had robotic limbs, lol. Ok let me explain, in the movie Star Wars there was this thing called the Force,

Actually, his robotic limbs limited him from using his true power. He had less of his own natural life force to connect with the Force. Though still very powerful in the dark side, weakened.

Yes Luke was weakened when he lost his hand too.

Now you are getting into the expanded universe, i.e. books, not the movies, which in more recent years formed that explanation. Vader force choked the crap out of anyone just fine with no arms and even old Ben talked about how powerful he had become when lying to Luke about his death. Either way Vader was still more powerful than Anakin.
  • Options
    Some people will go on about his dot aoe, but what good is an attack that requires the enemy to go and possibly hurt your guys while waiting to take damage or that can be debuffed and turned into tm gain by Rex or easily removed by EEs heal=not much damage. Also, how good is his aoe and CB attack if 2-3 other toons can kill the entire other team while you wait for his cool downs to reset? Landos basic does 3x crit damage as Vaders, his aoe even more. Vader should be more powerful than a lot of other toons.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use six star, gear 10 Vader and he's pretty awesome especially with Palpatine lead. He has a really great burst attack, but his basic hits like paper. So what I figured out is that it's not meant to do damage. His basic attack has an 80% ability block proc, Vader with EP lead and a set bonus has 65% potency, so instead of using it for damage, I use it to keep ability block on targets I don't want using their specials. This means while Snowtrooper and Magmatrooper are focusing down whoever I deem needs to be put down first, Vader is attacking other targets to ability block them.

The entire Empire team works that way, only Snowtrooper is a true attacker, everyone else is a utility character, and if you can master these characters then you can control the battlefield. My team for example; Everyone thinks Palpatine is just some AoE stun spammer, but using him like that is a waste of his abilities. I open with his AoE stun but that's usually the only time I use it in a match even if it's off cool down, and that's because it consumes his shock debuff which let's me control the field. If RG is on the field I shock him so he can't auto taunt, ST Han so he can't taunt and give everyone else TM when attacked, Anakin so he doesn't gain TM when you knock down his allies, and the list goes on.

With Vader I open with Force Crush and cull a target, but then I just use him to keep targets from using specials until his Crush/Cull combo is ready. Snowtrooper is the one who attacks the main target every turn, and because of that, the target already has ability block, which means between Vader and Snow I can keep two targets ability blocked at all times. Magma trooper uses his AoE to keep enemy TM down, which is especially useful because he goes after EP so he'll reduce the TM of stunned targets making their stun last longer.

RG is there to protect the Emperor and give him Health and Defense up, other than that I use him to stun other characters besides the main target, usually a high damage attacker like Rey, if I'm forced to ignore her because of a bigger threat, and Magmatrooper tends to keep them stunned longer with his AoE TM reduction.

So ultimately only Snow and Magma are attacking the main target, while EP, Vader, and RG are crowd controlling. Which in my opinion is a better team than the pure damage ones out there, not only because I can keep a lot of the targets shut down, but because it requires skill and thinking rather than I'll AoE every turn, which makes it more fun to play. Just imagine if the AI used my team like this on defense, that'd be amazing.
  • Options
    @slothe
    I read this entire thread. You are way off base. First stars DO matter. Vader gets much much better at 6 stars. I know I use him in arena, I have him full omega and max mods 6 stars max gear. I used him BEFORE palpatine. He was a stud. You need to learn how to play him then if you are complaining this much.

His basic is actually one of the best things he does. Ability block. 100% lands on jedi as well. You know how pathetic some characters are when you chain block their abilities? I mean I can keep a Lumi from healing, an anakin from doing anything, etc. Not to mention that you aslo haven't put omegas on culling blade or force crush. You do know that Omega force crush adds slow right? It lands quite often. And Culling blade make RG a cakewalk.

You need to learn how to play Vader. He is insane. Now with Palpatine he is almost unstoppable. You have no idea.
  • Options
    I understand that Vader is only 6* but i do agree that he should be better. He shouldn't need to have EP on the team to make him viable. EP would normally send Vader out to destroy many opponents ALONE.

I think Vader should be the only character that should be on any team and be feared. Similar to how people were afraid of Rey and called her OP. Vader should be that and more.
  • Options
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    I understand that Vader is only 6* but i do agree that he should be better. He shouldn't need to have EP on the team to make him viable. EP would normally send Vader out to destroy many opponents ALONE.

I think Vader should be the only character that should be on any team and be feared. Similar to how people were afraid of Rey and called her OP. Vader should be that and more.

In the movies who controls Vaders every move?!

Yes he is a pivotal character but if you have a little patience and gear him up then use him correctly he is brilliant, I love the three of RG, EP and Vader, just now need to figure out who the other two are that are best to run with them...
  • Options
    Ability block on his basic (ie no cooldown)
    AOE dropping DOTs
    Special dealing massive damage to debuffed enemies with a 100% TM gain on a finishing blow
    Lots of health

Vader's fine
  • Options
    @Llewmarb he is EP's apprentice but EP doesn't control how Vader fights. He tells him where to go and who to destroy but Vader is the brute one who actually does the fighting. Which i think is why Vader should be amazing by himself and then literally almost unstoppable with EP but i understand everyone would get that team. I'm just saying i think Vader should be better a lone and obviously the EP now makes him better because of the debuffs but Vader should still be a harder hitter.
  • Options
    What mods do you guys recommend for Vader? I have him at 6*, g10, running with Palp lead and RG. Love the crowd control aspect. Still trying to figure out timing and usage, but looks very fun and more interesting to play
  • Options
    @Llewmarb he is EP's apprentice but EP doesn't control how Vader fights. He tells him where to go and who to destroy but Vader is the brute one who actually does the fighting. Which i think is why Vader should be amazing by himself and then literally almost unstoppable with EP but i understand everyone would get that team. I'm just saying i think Vader should be better a lone and obviously the EP now makes him better because of the debuffs but Vader should still be a harder hitter.

True.

I just played on GW and he hit 24 crit with his finishing blow and that was after his AOE gave him all his health back, I only have him at 5* and Gear 8 I believe. Haven't even omega' him yet either. Love the trio and they hes good enough for me!

Also just faced a team of EP (L), Daka, StHan, RG and Rey... Wow! Took half my roster out before I brought the terrible trio in!
  • Options
    Uh, stars are almost meaningless now.........

I stopped reading here. I completely disagree - my Grievous is maxed in every way except stars, and he is so weak compared to a really maxed grievous.

Vader is fine, he JUST GOT THE BUFF HE NEEDED with Emperor Palpatine.

• Options
    I think Vader needs to be paired with EP to be truly effective - I'm pretty sure that was completely intended. Hopefully we'll get some more chances to earn Vader shards, because he hardly ever comes up in the shard shop for me, and the achievements are a looooong way off. 84/85 is mighty frustrating!
  • Darth_Azrael
    457 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The point is that Vader, unlike Rey, needs a specific composition so that it can work. Before Palpatine, If you wanted to use Vader in your team would need heroes with control and debuff capacity as Phasma, Tarkin, Old Ben, IG-88, RG for protection, etc.

I understand your passion for Vader, but even he is not a super adaptable toon like Rey, he is still very strong. In the right team, I have seen prints of monstrous damage of the culling blade.
  • Options
    Llewmarb wrote: »

True.

I just played on GW and he hit 24 crit with his finishing blow and that was after his AOE gave him all his health back, I only have him at 5* and Gear 8 I believe. Haven't even omega' him yet either. Love the trio and they hes good enough for me!

Also just faced a team of EP (L), Daka, StHan, RG and Rey... Wow! Took half my roster out before I brought the terrible trio in!

@Llewmarb i think his culling blade move is great (besides it missing often) but maybe his basic and AOE should do more damage.
  • Options
    Llewmarb wrote: »

True.

@Llewmarb i think his culling blade move is great (besides it missing often) but maybe his basic and AOE should do more damage.

He already has insane damage. You just need to mod him, omega him and get him to 6*.

As for Vader alone being better, he is pretty good, but the game right now seems to be struggling for synergies. I mean this is the direction it seems to go, so you can't really complain that he is best with EP lead. That's like saying Jawa Engineer is bad because you can only pair him with droids.
  • Options

Not to mention the compete uselessness of defense mods.

And potency, replace with health or crit damage much better.

• Options
    Plenty of people in my guild have all of his attacks omegaed and some almost have 7* but he is still just flat. There are so many better toons to choose from and with how difficult he is to acquire he should be a lot better than he is. He is basically a tank without taunt that is just there to get hit. In the time it takes for cool downs on CB and his aoe Lando would've smoked every toon standing. My Lando's aoe can hit for over 20k a toon on his 3rd attempt. Only want to see Vader get the power he deserves.

OK so you are arguing that you don't like him you obviously have other characters why INSIST they make this one better?

Stop acquiring move on to other characters, don't see a problem. I like Vader personally its a different aspect to ANY other character. Maybe you don't know how to use him, but in Arena I have faced him and he can deal a heavy blow and can take a hit.. its all about synergy..

Put vader on a team with Maul lead and Opress and come back and tell me Vader is bad, he will be the straw once maul tags Anakin and Opress gets his counter.. then Vader takes Anakin out..

Again you are NOT using him properly.. its strategy you are missing he is alone on your team not with people that can make him better.