Promote/demote players

The idea is simple: once a month, promote the three strongest players in a shard to a slightly tougher shard. At the same time, drop the bottom 100 players down a level.

Discuss.
Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.

Replies

• Krokovich
    292 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What is this supposed to accomplish? You're punishing strong players and move around people who barely play anyway?
  • Options
    Krokovich wrote: »
    What is this supposed to accomplish? You're punishing strong players and move around people who barely play anyway?

Higher shards would have better rewards, of course. So, rewarding not punishing
  • Options
    Scourge194 wrote: »
    The idea is simple: once a month, promote the three strongest players in a shard to a slightly tougher shard. At the same time, drop the bottom 100 players down a level.

Discuss.

Ooohwee. +3 and -100 doesn't work out at all. Month #2 there would be under 100 players in the promoted shard. Top 3 go up, the rest drop back down? O_o

• Scourge194
    390 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Every shard would receive 100 players from the shard above, and 3 from the one below. Net difference in number of players per shard = 0. Two new shards would have to be created; one at the very top and one at the very bottom
  • Options
    I think this idea has some merit and would be a way of moving players to more suitable shards if they are too weak or strong. Of course there will always be a mix in strength in each shard. Not sure what the numbers should be.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I agree this has some merit and would help ppl out who have taken breaks and came back to find an almost impossible divide with the players who have been working the whole time.

But would this really change the difficulty, I mean if the top 3 you add are on a different timezone then it doesn't really increase competition. On the other hand if they are you could end up with a huge disadvantage in just your timezone...

I would rather see them work out live arena and have a system like that in play. Maybe have it where you can bet on your win, I mean this is a bar after all.
  • Options
    Nice idea but I think that active high level players finishing in the top 3 would abuse this and just sit outside the "promotion" zone when it is close to the time, effectively eliminating some of their opposition. This would require some sort of table from the devs to calculate average place overall for the month and I don't think that it is ever going to be a priority for them. What might be a better issue for them to look at are the groups of people who work together to effectively "lock down" the top 5 or so by fighting each other around the payout times so that other people can't challenge the top spots. Not sure how they could go about it without seriously overhauling the way arena works though
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JohnTS676 wrote: »
    Nice idea but I think that active high level players finishing in the top 3 would abuse this and just sit outside the "promotion" zone when it is close to the time, effectively eliminating some of their opposition. This would require some sort of table from the devs to calculate average place overall for the month and I don't think that it is ever going to be a priority for them. What might be a better issue for them to look at are the groups of people who work together to effectively "lock down" the top 5 or so by fighting each other around the payout times so that other people can't challenge the top spots. Not sure how they could go about it without seriously overhauling the way arena works though

This infighting doesn't have to really be a cooperative action by the players. It's more just a function of the arena that is set up. Winning means "nothing" only holding the position and the only way to do that is to be locked in a battle. I never communicate with other shard mates but I attack them to lock in position when I can. And since from 1 you can only hit out to 4, you are going to lock in one of those positions as well.
  • Options
    Horrible Idea! After months I have finally worked out a sort of truce with my shard where people usually only attack in the hour before their payout. We all take turns being in the top 3 and everyone gets good arena rewards. I wouldn't want to have to go through this every month to find a new equilibrium.

Maybe they could provide a mechanism for someone to pay arena coin and switch into a random shard that was generated around the same time as their original. The shard might be harder or it might be easier, but it would be different players.
  • Options
    Best idea Ive heard in awhile. I would rather be 190th on the best server than 1st on some random server. Make the rewards scale and rank the servers.
  • Options
    Clanomadd wrote: »
    Horrible Idea! After months I have finally worked out a sort of truce with my shard where people usually only attack in the hour before their payout. We all take turns being in the top 3 and everyone gets good arena rewards. I wouldn't want to have to go through this every month to find a new equilibrium.

Maybe they could provide a mechanism for someone to pay arena coin and switch into a random shard that was generated around the same time as their original. The shard might be harder or it might be easier, but it would be different players.

Thinking about it more, if the rewards did scale then there could be something workable. I propose something slightly different though. Set up one single premier shard and once a month take the top three players from each shard (as determined by net crystal gain in the arena for the previous three weeks) and put them in the premier shard with better rewards and possibly something unique for the top 10 players. After 1 week in the premier shard, reward the top players and send them back to their previous shard and start over. Minimum rewards would have to be equivalent to what these players are getting now.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Best idea Ive heard in awhile. I would rather be 190th on the best server than 1st on some random server. Make the rewards scale and rank the servers.

It's not really random your server is based on when you started so that everyone with you is relatively close. If it was random you could end up with someone who had a month or more of a head start.