Potency over 85%, what's the point?

As I read somewhere here a while ago, anything going over 85% in potency is pointless as there has to be a minimum chance for the enemy to resist.

Is this true? Has anyone any stats to prove it?

Replies

• Options
    If the enemy has 150 tenacity, you need 135 potency.

85 is not a magic number.
  • Options

Ding ding ding. We have a winnar.

• Options
    I think 85% was only the magic number for the rancor. Who is assumed to have 100% tenacity
  • Options

Well, what I meant was there's always a 15% gap in which the enemy can always resist. Or in other words: It's impossible you can always (everytime the skill procs of course) apply the negative effect, right?
  • Options
    Right
  • Options
    Correct, it is impossible to always apply the negative effect but when you are fighting against targets with much higher Tenacity, having higher Potency than 85% counters that.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    As I read somewhere here a while ago, anything going over 85% in potency is pointless as there has to be a minimum chance for the enemy to resist.

It has been stated by the devs that no matter what (potency/tenacity) every toon will always have a 15% chance to resist (tenacity).

As ppl above have said the 85% is assuming no one has more then 100% tenacity. Not many ppl focus on tenacity right now, but unless you are looking at racnor you are probably safe with around 50-60% potency in most cases.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

It has been stated by the devs that no matter what (potency/tenacity) every toon will always have a 15% chance to resist (tenacity).

As ppl above have said the 85% is assuming no one has more then 100% tenacity. Not many ppl focus on tenacity right now, but unless you are looking at racnor you are probably safe with around 50-60% potency in most cases.

Yes this has been confirmed by the devs.
  • scuba
    14052 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

IMO the Rancor is over 100% tenacity when not toppled, but for arena ^^ that is a good rule of thumb. 50-60% potency will handle 65-75% tenacity.
  • Options

Well, what I meant was there's always a 15% gap in which the enemy can always resist. Or in other words: It's impossible you can always (everytime the skill procs of course) apply the negative effect, right?

Always 15 % chance to resist, regardless if you have 50 Potency, 150 Potency or 15345 Potency.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks guys. I'm currently working on the tenacity mods bonus as the health bonus is barely one more hit of any character so it's not very useful.
  • scuba
    14052 posts Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks guys. I'm currently working on the tenacity mods bonus as the health bonus is barely one more hit of any character so it's not very useful.

Honestly tenacity may not be much better. Only place I really see them as usable would be on palps if he is lead vs OB, Aalya, Han solo, sth and other debuffing jedi and rebels.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

Honestly tenacity may not be much better. Only place I really see them as usable would be on palps if he is lead vs OB, Aalya, Han solo, sth and other debuffing jedi and rebels.

Was thinking more of RG or STHan since they are sometimes stunned or shocked before their taunts...
  • scuba
    14052 posts Member
    Options

Was thinking more of RG or STHan since they are sometimes stunned or shocked before their taunts...

My opinion of tenacity mods is go big or don't bother.
    Vs a palps lead with no added potency from mods He has 79% potency, this is good to reduce an opponents tenacity up to 94% to the min of 15% resist chance, basically like having no tenacity at all.
    In some of my limited testing need to get your resist chance to around 50% to have a decent reliable go at it meaning vs palps lead you would need 129%+ tenacity. Not counting secondary stats can only add 54% tenacity with 6 tenacity mods and tenacity cross, so would need a lot tenacity secondaries.
  • Options

Vs a palps lead with no added potency from mods He has 79% potency, this is good to reduce an opponents tenacity up to 94% to the min of 15% resist chance, basically like having no tenacity at all.
    In some of my limited testing need to get your resist chance to around 50% to have a decent reliable go at it meaning vs palps lead you would need 129%+ tenacity. Not counting secondary stats can only add 54% tenacity with 6 tenacity mods and tenacity cross, so would need a lot tenacity secondaries.

Hmmm okay lol

What's the best mod bonus in your opinion?
  • scuba
    14052 posts Member
    Options

Hmmm okay lol

What's the best mod bonus in your opinion?

IMO Crit chance and crit damage for arena. I am also working on defense sets for some of my tanks
  • Options
    I posted this earlier and confirmed by another poster by recording number of resists on the rancor on my 85% potency teebo, but long story short, rancor is 120% tenacity. The captain is most likely 100% but my measurements were not as extensive with him.
  • scuba
    14052 posts Member
    Options
    amusedam_1 wrote: »
    I posted this earlier and confirmed by another poster by recording number of resists on the rancor on my 85% potency teebo, but long story short, rancor is 120% tenacity. The captain is most likely 100% but my measurements were not as extensive with him.
    Sounds like good numbers.
  • Options
    My QGJ has 114% potency and gets resisted a lot by the rancor
  • Options

I think what you mean is there is no point is having potency that is more than 85 points higher than your opponents' tenacity.